Launchpad Question - Noob to MT

gncrgy

2011-01-08 22:57:37

hi all,

i have APC40 and Launchpad and when i try to custom midi map both, they get conflicted!

i downloaded MT trial and messed around with it though couldn't get anywhere.

i need to understand how to do one simple thing before i purchase the full version: i need to map the top left button which sends C-1 as default to some (lets say C0) other midi note and route it through midi channel 10. i need channel 10 because channels 1 through 9 are occupied by the APC40 handshake thing.

it's that simple. if i can figure this this out i can reconfigure the LP for my needs.

BTW i'm not interested in clip launch and mixer functions of LP as far as APC40 handles them.

Thanks,

Attigo

2011-01-23 19:57:10

Hi gncrgy,

This is quite simple in MT. Your rule to translate C-1 on channel 1 to C0 on channel 10 could be this:

Code: Select all

[x] 
Translator 0: Translate C-1 to C0
Incoming: MIDI oo 00 pp
Rules:
  if oo==128 then qq=138
  if oo==144 then qq=154
Outgoing: MIDI qq 0C pp

The incoming message is receiving the Note message of the top left button, but with 2 'Local Variables' in place of the message type and velocity message.

Variable 'oo' "reads" the message type for us to evaluate in the rules. I have written - if oo equals 128 (decimal for 80, Note Off on Channel 1) then it becomes 138 (decimal 8A, Note Off on Channel 10). This sets variable 'qq', which is the first byte of the output, and convers the message to a Note OFF on channel 10. Also, I did the same for 144 (decimal for 90, Note ON on Channel 1), which would then set qq as 154 (decimal for 9A, Note On on Channel 10).

There is also the variable 'pp', this allows the velocity to carry through to the outgoing message, which will normally be 00 for OFF and 7F for ON. The second byte of the incoming message says '00', this is because '00' is Hexadecimal for Note C-1 and '0C' is hexadecimal for C0.

The incoming message will trigger the outgoing message, change the MIDI channel and carry through the velocity of the Message (ON/OFF).

(Please note that the MT incoming and outgoing messages are shown in hexadecimal, rules are handles in decimal, hence my conversions!)

I hope this makes sense and helps you out!

cheers,
Scott