Bome and Live w/APC40

nmaxpierson

2010-12-13 00:18:15

Hi All,

After doing a ton of forum reading, watching youtube vids, reading blogs, etc etc .... I'm still a little foggy on a few things. I spoke with Darren Cowley about his preset he made in Bome a few years ago and he couldn't remember some of the stuff in Bomes to answer my question (as he is using M4L now), so he suggested I post here and see if others out there with some clue could help me out a little.

(Working with the preset "APC40BomesVersion4"). The first thing that I am trying to do is simply change the default light colours that is sent after (or during) the handshake between Live and the APC40. The rest of the customization I should be able to figure out after I understand how to simply get the lights to change..... so here goes.

First, I need to make sure of my understanding about the midi routing in Live and Bome. In Live, Input is what is sent to Live and output is what is sent out from live (ex. to the APC40 for LED feedback). Is this correct or do I need to reverse this logic??

Second, In Bomes, I route the output of the APC40 to the "Bomes 1 IN" and route "Bomes 1 OUT" to the APC40 input. Is this correct??

So essentially, the diagram of devices looks like this...

Messages to the APC40
Live Out ------ Bomes IN ------ Rules(if any) -------- Bomes Out -------------- APC40 IN

Messages to Live
APC40 Out ------- Bomes IN ------ Rules (if any) --------- Bomes Out ---------- Live in

And finally, I see that there's a Loop to the APC40 (Routing is from APC40 to APC40). I take it this is for the feedback of the LEDs??

If all of this is correct, I think I understand Bomes enough to change or make rules for what I need. Now i'll just have to come up with a little clever math to construct the rules or just hack up Darren's preset to my likening.

Also, I see that Darren has Bome's swallowing alot of the input from the APC40. I take it he was swallowing those messages and either stop processing them, or replace them all together and send what you want that button or knob to translate to when hitting Live. Does this seem to work well for others?? This is how I was thinking about writing my rules, with just 2 or maybe 3 active presets (which essentially is for each"routing leg" if you will) and a ton of rules but wasn't sure if having that many rules would cause delay between the time I hit a pad and when Live actually gets the messages due to all of the processing Bomes has to do.

Sorry if this was a little long winded, but if I can get a few of the little things that I want to change on the APC40 to work in Bome, I'll be buying it ASAP.

Anyone been down this road before ?? :)

TIA,
Max

Attigo

2010-12-13 08:51:15

Yea, that signal flow is correct. As for MIDI data for the APC, there is a good document posted here that will help...

http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... it=nem0nic

Scott