Yamaha Tenori-On Advanced

mrmorg

2010-11-08 22:06:07

Hi community... this is my first post here.
The Yamaha Tenorion has wonderful new inspireing but somewhat restricted possibilities in termes of note sequencing.
Esspecially the midi features are very weak. Every sequnecer layer is bound to a fixed midi channel and there is no way to vary velocity, octave shift, note leght or midi cc in your sequence over time.
The Tenori-On can only output notes with finxed length and fixed velocities.

Now that I found bome MT the possibillities of breaking these chains seem so be endless and i am really excited to wirte my first translator patches.
My first Idea is to combine the first "score mode" layers (lets say channel 1 to 4) to provide a more complex step-sequencer.
- Layer one provides the note on messages with thire corresponding note values
- Notes values from layer two shall provide an octave shift.
- Notes values from layer three shall canges the velocity
- And notes from layer four dertermine the note length.

All these note values shall be translated to a note sequence outputed on channel on 1.

Ok translating the first three layers into an "note on" message (0x90, note value + octave value, velocity) souldnt be a problem.
But what about the note length. I want to translate the note value from layer four to a timer that syncs to midi clock and timeouts with a certain note lenght.
My plan ist to translate the note value 0x3C which is a C-3 into 1/32 note length. Then Cis-3 should give a 1/16 note langht and so on...

What is the best way to build up such a timer? I read in another thread that there are midi clock pulses provided by midi message 0xF8.
If I would start my timer with the "note on" message from tenorion sequencer layer one and count 3 pulses then this would give me a 1/32 note duration.
If would count 48 pules I would get a quater note, rigth?

Unforunately I didnt find a way to configure the timer dynamicly at runtime. You can only can define fixed timer counting cycles.
So maybe I should define a dedicated timer for every note length I want to have.

florian

2011-01-09 05:37:09

hi, sorry forchiming on so late. Indeed, tempo-controlled timers are difficult to do in MT, because it doesn't know the current tempo. However, you can absolutely create an own timer per note, MT should handle that without problems.

If you made a useful preset, post it here!
Florian

mrmorg

2011-01-10 10:34:54

Hi Florian,
I just count the 0xF8 clock. I start counting with an incomming note and stop counting when a value is reached, that is
provided by another note-layer from the tenori-on. With this method I can change the note length depending on the current tempo.

So up to now every tested feature preset works fine. I just need to put every thing together.

The following features are realized:

- Realtime transposing of note sequences by incomming midi notes
- Layer for adding note velocity
- Layer for changing note octave
- Layer for changing the note length
- Several layers for midi cc's

Open points:
I want to have the abillity to costomize all the feature above.
So that I can set which tenori-on layer is controling the note-lenght or
which layer controls a sertain midi cc'. Also for shure it should be possible to simply set the midi chanel for the outgoing midi data.
Next I need a grafical interface to change all setting on the fly. Maybe I start with a Max For Live device.

Another Feature that I would like to realize is to have a note propability, that can be set via another tenorion note layer.
For example if the propability value is set 100% you hear the note in every sequence circle. If it set to a lower value the note
is triggert by chance.

My question:
Is there a way to have random values in MT?