endless stream of F8's

Muspelspark

2010-10-25 03:23:04

From Midi Translator Classic's presenting dialogue i create a new preset, add a new translator, double-click under Incoming
Trigger to open the Edit Translator Entry New Translator dialogue box. The Trigger Type is MIDI Message.

Then I check the Capture Midi square and under MIDI message trigger a stream of descending F8's flows. Beside 'Midi Message Trigger' appears 'Timer Clock" (kind of flashing)

I am following the Youtube video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAA3PkWBHuY
Live Looping w/MIDI (Kid Beyond style)
about 2 min 26 sec in, where he is setting up the Midi Translator Classic, But
his screen does not look like mine. Is his an earlier version? I have version 1.6.1

Ableton 8.1.5 is the sequencer, and a Yamaha P-140 the keyboard, with a FC4 sustain pedal.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attigo

2010-10-27 21:50:46

Hi Muspelspark,

I don't fully understand your problem, can you go into more detail for when editing the translator?

cheers,
Scott

Muspelspark

2010-11-10 01:51:16

This is a reply from The Beatwise Network:

Stray
Administrator

[email] [send pm]

[ Exalt | Smite ]
Re: Live looping w/MIDI
« Reply #1 on Oct 29, 2010, 7:09pm » [Quote]
Hi,

Welcome to the forum. It’s been awhile since I’ve used MT Classic, but I’ll try to give you a hand here.

On the first point, I’m not familiar with the Yamaha but it sounds like its driver (or the driver of the MIDI interface it’s connected to) is single-client. This means that you can either use it in MT or in Live, but not both.

You can get around this by using a virtual cable like MIDI Yoke.

In MT, you will select your Yammy as the Input. You will select a MIDI Yoke port as the Output. You will create three Thru translators to pass data from the Yammy through MT and out to the MIDI Yoke port. Each of these translators will have the same incoming/outgoing message. First would be ‘pp qq rr’, second would be ‘pp qq’ and third would be ‘pp’.

In Live, in Prefs-MIDI/Sync, turn off all the switches for the Yammy. Use the MIDI Yoke port in place of your Yammy, so turn the Track and Remote switches on for the MIDI Yoke port.

On dealing with F8 messages, typically keyboards that can send clock also allow you to disable it. So I’d recommend looking into that as a first step unless you are using the clock for something. Failing that, you can also type MIDI messages into MT rather than capturing them. You just need to know which MIDI messages to type in.

To figure out that, use MIDI-Ox. You’ll need to close MT to use MIDI-Ox. Ox gives you a bigger window to use for monitoring data from your keyboard and will also let you filter out clock messages. So you can just press the pedal (or other controllers you’re using) to see what MIDI messages they send and then just type these directly into MT.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Stray
Report to Mod - Link to Post - Back to Top IP: Logged
[image]