Controlling A knob/fader with two buttons

layzee

2010-10-11 11:42:13

Hi, Florian

I'm using Ableton to translate Keystrokes To midi notes in OSX. I need to know how I can control a virtual knob/fader back in Ableton using two midi notes.. For example: I'll key map "N" to a midi clip and key map "M" to a 2nd midi clip. inside the 1st midi clip ill create one long midi note. let's say F8 for 10 counts. Then the 2nd midi clip do the same but use a different note like G8. once these different notes are sent into MT I need them to be able to come back into Ableton or any Application and control a virtual Knob/fader. So when I press "N" which now has been converted into F8, will make the a virtual know slide to the left. And when I press "M" now converted to Midi not G8 slide the knob/fader to the right.
I don't think I'll need the knob/fader to move up/down or left/right on it's own in MT by holding down a button. I can send multiple hits of the same note to MT using a loop feature inside the midi clip. If the want the knob/fader to slide faster all i have to do is increase the distance of a loop on a note inside the midi clip. If i want the knob/fader to move slower ill decrease the distance of the loop inside the midi clip. Thus making Ableton send one note on "raped fire" sequence into MT. I think I read on the forums that Abletons Knobs/faders have 94 different positions. When i assign a hardware controller knob it always says 1/60. but you told me before it should be 127. not sure.
I really hope this makes sense.
Please help!

Thanks

florian

2010-10-29 15:06:48

Hi,

I'm not an Ableton expert, but in general what you try to do is to convert a "relative controller", i.e. an encoder, into an absolute controller (knob/slider).

The simplest way is to use a global variable, say g0, to hold the current value of the absolute controller. Your assigned MIDI notes for will increase/decrease g0 and send out the appropriate controller message.

Code: Select all

Translator 0: Decrease Controller
Options: stop=false
Incoming: MIDI 90 71 pp 
Rules: dec g0
  if pp==0 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
  g0=g0-1
Outgoing: MIDI B0 01 g0 

Translator 1: Increase Controller
Options: stop=false
Incoming: MIDI 90 73 pp 
Rules: inc g0
  if pp==0 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
  g0=g0+1
Outgoing: MIDI B0 01 g0 
Notes:
- you may need to adapt the incoming MIDI message to your notes (use "Capture")
- you may need to adapt the outgoing controller in the Outgoing MIDI field: in the example above it's CC "01", i.e. mod wheel. Or use auto learn in Ableton or in the app you want to control.
- the set up requires Bome's virtual ports: Select "MT 1" in Ableton as MIDI output. In MT, select "MT Virtual 1" as input, and "MT Virtual 1" as output. In Ableton, or in the app you want to control using the MIDI controller, select "MT 1" as MIDI input. Make sure to NOT define a route in MT from "MT Virtual 1" to "MT Virtual 1" to prevent a virtual feedback loop.

Hope this works!
Florian

mjc1970

2011-06-25 00:15:43

This method worked really well to solve a problem I was having. I have an Akai MPD26, which I really like, with the exception that since it only has 6 rotary encoders, I can only control the first 6 macros in an effect rack. I've used the method in this thread to map pad bank B to control all 8 macro knobs in an effects rack, 2 buttons for each knob, one to increase, and the other to decrease. It works really well with the exception that it takes FOREVER to sweep the full range of the knob.

My question is how would I use the method in this thread, but also have it set this up so that if I hold a pad down it will repeat the increase or decrease of the macro instead of having to push it over and over again. I've tried several methods and searches, but no luck. I can make a repeat work, or the increase/decrease work, but not both together.

Any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.