MIDI connections FCB1010 and V-AMP Pro

fsenseman

2010-09-01 02:58:57

I've got a Fasttrack Ultra 8R that has my midi in/out to pc. I also have an FCB1010 midi foot controller with the Uno chip. It has 2 midi ports IN and OUT/THRU. Merge is available on the THRU. I program the FCB1010 using software on the PC which is much easier than manually doing it with the pedals. I also have a V-AMP Pro. It has midi IN and OUT/THRU with no merge. I like to control it with software on the PC as well. If either is connected alone I have no problems using the software for either. If I chain them together I can't program the FCB1010 unless the VAMP is in THRU mode. If V-AMP is in THRU mode, then I can't program the V-AMP using the supplied software. If I take it out of THRU mode, I still can't program it when the FCB1010 is in the loop. Can Midi Translator PRO assist in a case like this? I am very new to MIDI (not the world though) and I'm overwhelmed with the possibilities. I've also got an AKAI MPK25 with midi IN, OUT and THRU (3 separate jacks) that I can throw in the mix if that would help. I'd really like to be able to just sit and do everything from the computer without changing midi cables in and out.

Kindest Regards and thanks in advance for any help.
Fleet

fsenseman

2010-09-02 16:34:05

New info: Scratch the Akai, I was thinking of another piece of equipment. However I did get a 2 port midi to usb converter. Both support THRU. Still looking for ideas....

Kind Regards,
Fleet

fsenseman

2010-09-02 22:11:35

Ok, I've got it figured out. Thought I'd post the answer in case someone else should be interested in the future.

Setup: V Amp Pro, FCB1010 with UNO chip, Cakewalk UM-2G 2 midi port to usb converter.

FCB1010 - Midi out to UM-2g Midi In 1
- Midi in to UM-2G Midi out 1
- Midi Merge enabled on FCB1010, don't know if this affects the results or not.

V Amp Pro - Midi out to UM-2G Midi in 2
- Midi in to UM-2G Midi out 2

Bome's MT PRO - All UM-2G ports enabled.
Route UM-2G port 1 on left to UM-2g port 2 on right.

That's it. I can program and send receive sysex on FCB1010 using the windows editing software, I can program the V-AMP PRO using it's own windows editing software, and foot switches on the FCB1010 control the V-AMP PRO according to how you've programmed it. No cables need to be moved or disconnected. At this point, both are on MIDI channel 1 as far as I know. I've not fully tested everything but it does work as described above. There may still be a gotcha here or there but being able to read/write to both devices and have one control the other all at the same time is what I was looking for.

Kind Regards,
Fleet