Help to get APC 40 Encoder LEDs update with traktor

Glwinthedrk

2010-08-22 22:32:17

So I've been trying to figure out how to create encoder banks that hold their position similar to when you first power on the apc and press the bank select buttons. The problem is that I'm trying to get encoder banks to work while in the ableton handshake mode.

What I've manage to achieve is to change that cc channels for the encoders.. But when switching channels the encoder midi value stays in the same position.. What I would like to know is if it's possible to switch encoder banks and for each bank to maintain the position of the encoder on it's own channel.

What I'm trying to achieve is to setup an encoder bank for traktor's effects and have it update to the position the effects are on the screen without having to use soft takeover to reset the position of the knobs ..

If anyone can help me with my problem I would greatly appreciate it.

Zac Kyoti

2010-08-26 20:39:31

I'm pretty familiar with the puzzle you're trying to solve - I've done a lot of work on it myself. So as you've already figured out, the APC40 does not use separate banks when it's in the handshake mode, but everything is sent on channel 1, to the same set of CC #s. What I've done is essentially just replicated the banking-type functionality in Bomes and Traktor. So there are variables and modifiers set up to translate the Device Control section info differently depending on which bank I'm in. The updating of the LEDs is handled by output commands in Traktor, but the output commands are only active for the particular bank I'm in. I'm not sure since I'm not in front of the rig right now, but I think the way it works is that I have the "send monitor state" IN command, on the release (note off) of the buttons I use to switch banks. I think there's problems using this command with PCs though - I use a Mac...

Alternately, you could set up variables to "remember" the position value of all the knobs in a particular bank, and tell the APC to go to those values whenever you switch, but that scheme could get messy too, with loading new effects and stuff like that.

Just some ideas for now, but we can talk more later once I'm in front of the stuff.

Glwinthedrk

2010-08-27 20:21:54

Thank you for a reply. Hopefully we can get this working cause it would totally eliminate having to use another controller with traktor.. I could use the apc for everything I need done within the software..

The problem with what you are stating.. Or at least when I attempted it.. Is that I'm using the variable oo to send the midi values from 1 knob to switch it to another..

For example b0 37 oo to b1 37 oo.

This way I wouldn't have to make a translator for each of the midi values from 1-127.. Now what I seem to realize is that switching from channel 1 to channel 2 works perfectly fine.. But the problem is that I believe the knob doest update because it thinks is it is stil at the position it was on the last channel.. For example if it was at midi position 57 on channel 1 , when I switch to channel 2 it might still think it's at position 57 since I'm letting the midi values go through with the "oo" variables..

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.. But the send monitor state only seems to work when updating the push buttons..

P.s. I also use a Mac. Hopefully you could help me emulate the banking function...

Attigo

2010-09-11 04:51:51

Hi Glwinthedark,

For this, you should use 'Global' variables for holding a value when using banks. oo through zz are 'Local' variables and will only hold a value for the time the translator is operating. Global variables hold the value as long as the preset is running.

Global variables are 'ga' and upwards, such as ga, gb, gc, gd....

Hope this is useful to you!

Scott

Zac Kyoti

2010-10-02 06:08:24

@Glwinthedrk
How have you come along with the functionality you wanted? If you want to see examples, I can send you my template.

dmsuperman

2011-01-06 22:52:46

@Zac Kyoti: I'm also working on something similar, using bome to get my apc20 to work with virtual dj. Any chance you could forward those presets along to me to help save some work?

Zac Kyoti

2011-01-07 05:52:46

Hey man, I'm not sure if my file would be of any use to you, since you'd pretty much have to remap everything on the vdj side of things. Also, I'm not sure how different the note numbers are between the 20 and 40. Could be a pain. Let me know if you still think it'd be worth out to take a look.

dmsuperman

2011-01-07 05:56:43

I already know I have to map it on the VDJ side, that's fine with me. I just have to get the notes in a state where I can manage them virtually. I think the APC40 is mostly the same, with some minor changes and removed options.