Can i use a qwerty keyboard to change presets in ableton

nathannn

2010-06-28 22:26:32

hi,

in ableton live the only way to recall presets without using a mouse is to build a rack and then assign each rack to a button or a key on a midi controller using the chain selector (you can not assign the racks or switch between chains with qwerty keys).

what i am wanting to do is build a stomp box out of a usb qwerty keyboard and be able to change presets with this.

would bomes be a work around for this?

i know there is max for live but bomes is alot less expensive.

nathannn

2010-06-28 22:32:27

btw,

i did search before i posted this but dint find anything specific to my needs.

Attigo

2010-06-30 12:08:37

Sure you can! Can you go a little more in-depth with what you want in to do in Live? I'm sure I can help...

Scott

nathannn

2010-07-01 03:50:55

what i want to do is build a pedal out of a usb keyboard.
i guess what i would do is switch presets using ableton racks.
i dont know if you are familiar with racks but, the only way to change presets in live is, to assign each rack to an individual chain in the chain selector.
from there you can assign a midi note or controll to each rack in the chain selector but, you cant assign each chain to a key on a qwerty keyboard.

so i want to assign each rack to a key on my keyboard .
from there i would set it up to work something like a boss multi effect unit.

i have tried doing this with the mt demo.
here is how i do it (so far its not working)
in the mt input section i assign it to the qwerty key "a"
in the output section i assign it to the midi note "c4"

now when i press the key "a" bomes is showing that something is going on at the bottom of the interface
but when i open up live nothing is happening...

btw, i chose midi input in live to be "in from midi yoke 1" and output to "midi yoke 1"
in bomes the same midi inputs and out puts are selected.

Attigo

2010-07-02 04:23:45

Nathannn,

In the output in your Translator you will need to have the full 'Hex' MIDI Note... This includes a 'Channel' value, 'Note' value and 'Velocity' value. Something like this: 90 01 7F. This would be Channel 1 (90 (note message)), MIDI Note 01 (C#-1), full velocity (7F(Hex) = 127(Dec))

So if you want to send a MIDI note C4, presumably on Channel 1, it should be 90 3C 7F rather than C4. It is also good practice to send a 'Note OFF' message aswell on key release, which would be 80 3C 00. I have attached a MIDI Data chart I put together. It should help you understand all the technical side of MIDI.

Other than that, it seems you are doing things right!

Hope this helps!!
Scott
MIDI Data.pdf
MIDI Data Chart
(188.3 KiB) Downloaded 221 times

nathannn

2010-07-02 08:15:47

ahh!!
works great!
thank's!

thanks for the chart also!
:)