APC40 - Changing LED States and Colours

CountBlackula

2010-04-06 05:30:36

Can anyone shed any light on this for me? I hear it is possible using MTP, but can't seem to find any info on how to do it.

I think it is critical to get visual feedback if you are fully customising how the APC operates.....

Anyone?!

:)

..oh also while I think of it, is it possible to make the clip buttons only send midi note on (on first press) then note off when you press it the second time? as opposed to the one press triggering note on and note off?

CountBlackula

2010-04-09 04:06:41

ANYONE!?

CountBlackula

2010-04-09 04:09:02

oh shit, i see what happened here.... i forgot to paste in info! hahaha. :?

I found this on another forum (see below) - i basically want some of the clip launch lights to stay solid red all the time, then flashing green on one push (to turn on beat repeat for example) then on second push return to solid red.

Basically, it's pretty easy when you use a MIDI Translator of some kind.

I'm using Bomes MIDI-Translator, but I still have Version 1.6, which can only send MIDI out to one single source, that means I have to use MIDI Yoke to split the signal up for Resolume & the Midi Translator. APC40 goes into MidiOX, Yoke 1 goes to Resolume for triggering the controls, and Yoke 2 goes to the MIDI translator which processes the signals and sends them back to the APC. I don't know if Bomes Midi Translator 1.7 can handle different outs, but with version 1.6, it's the only way not to crash either the Translator, or Resolume when they try to access the APC.

By now, I've built a simple feedback for my layer selection buttons that switches on the light of the pressed button, and switches off the light of the other layer buttons.
Anyway, if you want to map buttons to change their light (or other buttons lights) it's as simple as this:

You'll have to set up the MIDI Translator to send back the according note ON to the pressed button with the following velocity:
- 01 = Green
- 02 = Green Blinking
- 03 = Red
- 04 = Red Blinking
- 05 = Orange
- 06 = Orange Blinking
- 07 & higher = Green

Now there are two things that I'd like to do, but I haven't achieved it yet and I'm not sure how to do this:

- Get the small Buttons to behave like the normal buttons - that means sending note ON / Note Off at once instead of toggeling between ON and OFF - but maintaining the way the LEDs work (press it once -> LED on, press it again -> LED off).

- And finding a way to get the large button matrix to behave like Resolume clip triggering, so that a selecting a clip would switch on the LED of the button pressed, but also switch off the LED of the clip that was active.
This should be fairly easy to do if the clips are triggered to their own layer, but rather difficult if the clips are triggered to the active layer. I don't know if Bome's MIDI Translator can handle storing variables between different rules, or if it's possible with the newest version - any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

And maybe someone can help me out here: With Bome's MIDI translator 1.7, is it possible to send MIDI out to different sources? With 1.6 I can either process the MIDI signals and send them to Resolume (like to solve the issue with the small buttons as described above) OR send MIDI signals back to the APC - not both.

cawhitworth

2010-04-09 12:48:45

Not sure if this is what you're asking, but you can have multiple translators for a single input, and each of those translators can trigger a different output - so you can make a translator that acts on the MIDI event from your APC, and sends back the appropriate light on/off message, and then make a second translator that acts on the same MIDI event and sends the appropriate command to Resolume. Then when you trigger the event from your APC, both translators will fire and both the APC and Resolume will be sent a message.

(this applies in 1.7 - I don't know about 1.6)

CountBlackula

2010-04-12 04:31:28

i dont think i am really following :(

can someone please try explain further - i am not using resolume, i am using the apc with live... the above stuff was copy and pasted from another forum.

really need to figure this out! :(

Attigo

2010-04-14 19:07:34

If you have different Virtual MIDI Ports set up you can give them an 'Alias' and route your Translators or Presets out to a prefered Alias. You edit the Aliases in the MIDI > MIDI Ports option.

In the Translators on the 'Outgoing' Tab you can check 'On specific port(s)' and select which Port you are sending out to. Also, on the Preset name, you can right-click and edit the properties of the entire Preset and send everything in it out to a certain Port.

From there, you just need to set the MIDI inputs to correct ones...

Hope this helps...

Scott

CountBlackula

2010-04-20 16:26:26

I dont think I am grasping the signal flow here.... attached a couple of pics... can someone tell me how the routing should be setup? have also included pic of translator.... outgoing msg on is midi note on with value of 03 which should be red...

what im trying to do is make a whole bunch of buttons red by default - always red. then if push them once the state changes to green flashing, then when i push them the next time they go back to red.

im basically assigning these buttons outgoing keystrokes later on which turn effects on/off, i just want a visual representation of whats going on.... does that make sense?

sorry for being a nooob :(
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-04-20 at 10.18.32 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-04-20 at 10.18.32 PM.png (63.11 KiB) Viewed 44959 times
Screen shot 2010-04-20 at 10.17.06 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-04-20 at 10.17.06 PM.png (46.96 KiB) Viewed 44959 times

Debrecini

2010-04-24 12:18:54

CountBlackula wrote:
You'll have to set up the MIDI Translator to send back the according note ON to the pressed button with the following velocity:
- 01 = Green
- 02 = Green Blinking
- 03 = Red
- 04 = Red Blinking
- 05 = Orange
- 06 = Orange Blinking
- 07 & higher = Green
Cheers for this bit of info I'm new to Bome and I'm creating an APC40 preset. This has helped me a great deal.

Debrecini

2010-04-24 12:37:54

CountBlackula wrote:
what im trying to do is make a whole bunch of buttons red by default - always red. then if push them once the state changes to green flashing, then when i push them the next time they go back to red.

im basically assigning these buttons outgoing keystrokes later on which turn effects on/off, i just want a visual representation of whats going on.... does that make sense?

sorry for being a nooob :(
If your still struggling with this bit you may want to check my post linked below.

http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2779

cawhitworth's post above was correct. You create multiple translators for each APC button some to do LED light control and others translate the MIDI into a keystroke or a differnet MIDI message. After which you can send the traslator message to any MIDI port or App you wish.

The way I did the LED control was to utilize Bome's Timers feature. You see the APC40 will constantly try to act as normal with regards to the lights. So you have to create an indefinite timer that triggers upon the current Bome preset launch. Make a short 1ms initial delay and then a quick repeat delay of around 10 -50ms. Then for each button write a translator that says:

On Timer "NAME OF TIMER" Outgoing trigger - Note On #2 F3 (Corresponding APC40 Button) velocity 03

Give it the required velocity to colour it the way you wish and this will work. This way the timer is constantly repeating and sending the button a message to change colour.

If anyone knows of a better way, maybe using rules then please chime in.

bcooke02

2010-04-28 07:33:18

I just purchased bome for OSX and I'm having trouble figuring out how to get my apc40 configured for resolume. I've been able to get the buttons to turn on to green but i can't get them to turn off or too any other color. The program has been crashing on me quite a bit too when communicating with my apc controller. I guess I'm just looking for a barebones diagram (switching buttons on/off) or step by step on how to set this up in OSX. Any help is greatly appreciated.

CountBlackula

2010-04-28 07:44:43

purchased version for OSX has a bug or 2. post the error report in the bugs section... download the free beta version, it works fine you jsut need to keep reinstalling it after the trial period... when they eventually release the full version I am assuming we will get licence keys given to us or our existing purchased ones will work for it.

bcooke02

2010-04-28 21:50:31

Thanks. It hasn't crashed on me once but I still don't understand how to turn buttons on or off and I can't get any other colors then green. What would I do in order to get the top left button on the apc to turn on (push once) turn off (push again). What would each translator say on the incoming and outgoing communication? I like your idea of having the controller buttons all red and then turn to flashing green. Were you able to achieve this? Thanks for your time..

bcooke02

2010-04-29 04:13:44

Alright so I've figured out how to get all the buttons to be red and I've figured out how to get them to blink green but I can't get them to turn back to red. Any help? Thanks

CountBlackula

2010-05-04 03:40:05

please more info! howd you do it?

newfuturenow

2010-05-17 00:35:46

Hello Florian and all at Bome!
Please consider making a preset for this led state change request!
especially for use with resolume and the apc40
Ohm have just configured a preset for their latest 64 controller and grandVJ software
and it would be great to see something like this for resolume users.
Your software has awesome potential.
When working I am sure Bomes fits so well between the APC40 and Resolume
I just cant find the right information to get this problem solved..
I need a video lesson or a template!
If anybody has a preset I could look at to decipher please post to the board!
And Florian, join forces with the resolume crew to make this happen :idea::idea::idea:
:D NFN

newfuturenow

2010-05-19 15:59:43

I am still having little luck getting this to happen.
I am working on a macbookpro - system OS X. So do I need to use midi yoke or midi pipe as well as bomes ?
I feel I need to approach this problem in stages being a complete noob!
I want to first make sure that I have the feedback rerouting of the midi signal between the APC40 and Resolume working correct.
and then I will work on the translator part.
Thanks
J -
NFN

newfuturenow

2010-05-22 22:15:05

So I have managed to make all of my buttons on the APC clip launch
one color by means of a timer delay.
but I cant make them change to a different color when I press them.
How do I do this?
Can anyone share with me some Bomes wisdom? I know its only two lines of
text to make one button on one color and off another. . but I have been at it all day now and its driving me crazy!
All help really appreciated.
NFN

CountBlackula

2010-06-01 02:32:47

no shit! its driving me f*cking nuts!

newfuturenow

2010-06-02 15:43:51

On the APC I have 5 rows of 8 buttons, that's five layers of video on Resolume with 8 video clips in each. What I need to work out is a feedback system which listens out for which button is being pressed on each separate layer. changes the color of that button and returns all other buttons on that layer ( i.e. the other seven ) back to their unpressed default color. Any ideas how I can do this ? Once I have figured out how to do this with one layer of 8 buttons it will be easy to map out the rest of the APC . .

Attigo

2010-06-11 20:05:22

Hey newfuturenow,

Here is an Image Map of all the MIDI messages the APC40 sends and receives... Courtesy of Nem0nic - http://www.nem0nic.com
APC MIDI.pdf
APC MIDI (by Nem0nic)
(1.56 MiB) Downloaded 2030 times
This should get you started...

cheers,
Scott

CountBlackula

2010-06-15 06:26:57

very handy PDF.

thanks buddy!

Attigo

2010-06-15 22:09:00

No worries!! Thank Nem0nic!!

Scott

brad thrashin

2011-09-02 02:38:29

Hello I have been using my apc40 with scratchlive similar to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE78r2MEtjY already but the lights dont light up and it's starting to kill me! I want to see color. So I have tried to back track what he did and have read and posted to both ableton and scratchlives forum with no luck which lead me here. Now That i've read this post I see this is achievable with Bomes and am going to try and buy.

Being new to midi controllers this subject is far off my knowledge base so any links etc that could be of help would be appreciated. THANK YOU!

MorganG

2013-03-04 10:43:56

Anyone have any updates on this? This is the exact thing I am currently struggling with as well and hope to figure it out asap but am having a hard time finding a solution!!

MorganG

2013-03-04 11:35:53

Classic case of reading the manual... :

"7.3 Changing Presets

Presets can be activated and deactivated by clicking the checkbox next to the preset name. This is the most direct way of working with Presets. However, mouse and GUI access is at many times at a premium, so Bome's Midi Translator features the capability to switch and work with Presets via the 'Preset Change' outgoing Translator action.
Presets can be activated via Preset Change action by one of three primary methods:
Activate Previous/Next Preset
This outgoing action will cycle through the available presets in order, activating only one at a time. Presets must be arranged in the order of which the user desires to cycle them on and off. This is normally the preferred way of cycling through presets."

So have a couple different presets that have infinite timers as outgoing actions, sending the corresponding color that you want. Then set up an action cycling through the diff presets with "Preset Change - Active Next/Previous Preset"

I'm still making finishing it up but it is definitely a solution!