Anyone ever tried going from HUI to Mackie Control Protocol?

colonynofi

2010-03-23 07:35:59

Ok - this is a long shot, but here goes.
Just picked up the OSX beta of this program, and it looks great. Can see many uses of it. (I'd love to see it do midi show control - but thats an entire other story....)
So here's my story.

Our studio recently picked up a set of 24 motorised faders by tonelux called shadowmix, to drop into our 70's console. And that went great. Connected it all by midi, and thats all working. The faders work in banks of 8, each having their own midi ports in/out.

It uses the HUI protocol.

Our problem. The company we bought the tonelux faders from did not look into digital performers use of the HUI protocol, and it seems that, even though it can setup 3 HUI's, you cannot tell it which HUI belongs to which faders...so, faders 9 thru 16 and 17 thru 24 on the desk end up mimicking everything going on for faders 1 thru 8. And there's no "bank" buttons on the shadowmix system - and there shouldn't need to be.

So my cunning plan is to try and use the midi translator to do one of 2 things.
The first idea is to find out what the HUI command for bank change - and then simply send a command of bank once to the right for HUI 2, and twice to the right for HUI 3. That SHOULD do it. Does any one know what these commands are?
The second idea is slightly trickier - much trickier... but I might be up for the challenge.
It would be to basically write a mackie control translator to HUI - Digital performer handles 3 sets of 8 controllers using the mackie control protocol fine. We have old faders here, and they work a charm this way. Maybe I could write a translator inside this software... has anyone ever attempted something like this - does anyone have any information on these protocols at all? Would be an enormous help.
And if anyone wants to talk off line about this (cause it could get VERY long winded) feel free to mail me brendan at colonynofi dot com - and I'll certainly report back anything I can to this forum.
Thanks - Brendan Woithe.