basic reset to defaults

CountBlackula

2010-03-20 09:01:38

hello all again.

im figuring this should be fairly simple.. but i cant figure out how to do it.

essentially when i push a button i want a knob in live to equal a certain value.

ie. incoming keystroke "k"

outgoing would be something like "midi note x is equal to 65"

basically pressing a button to send a knob to a specific position

Attigo

2010-03-20 18:37:09

Hi Count,

This isn't too difficult, you would just literally output that value.

Code: Select all

Translator 0: Output Value
Options: stop=false
Incoming: Key down: K
Outgoing: MIDI B0 01 41 
(41 is 65 in HEX)

or you could use a global variable if you need to store the value for any reason.

Code: Select all

Translator 0: Output Value
Options: stop=false
Incoming: Key down: K
Rules: 
  ga=65
Outgoing: MIDI B0 01 ga 
Hope this helps...

Scott

CountBlackula

2010-03-24 07:56:04

ahhhh!

you can assign those letters a numeric value!

i think the penny just dropped mate!
thanks so much!

dexter

2010-03-29 01:06:08

I do it with a sysex, sending a bunch of values, something like that :

F0 B0 0F 7F B0 10 7F B0 0D 7F B0 0E 7F B0 0B 00 B0 0C 00 B0 0A 00 B0 07 00 F7

assign this to a reset midi button, and it works well so far

CountBlackula

2010-04-01 08:38:44

Okay! Since I have raped you all for knowledge, I thought I would share what I have done with you :) It works brilliantly, and I thank you all for your help, hopefully someone else can take something from this.

I am using Live with MTP and the APC40

Essentially I have an audio rack setup in live which has an instance of WaveArts Track Plug which I use purely for EQ and the HPF & LPF. All the EQ Values are setup as per the Tarektih EQ modelled on the Allen & Heath EQ's. WaveArts EQ just sounds better than the EQ8 in my opinion.

Anyway the following is all mapped to 7 of the knobs on the audio rack - 1,2,3,4, as low shelf, low mid, high mid, and high, 5 and 8 as the HPF and LPF, and 7 is mapped to the live saturator purely for gain control similar to a DJ mixer.

So back to the MTP part... I have the record buttons 1-4 doing the following: (not correct controller messages i forget what they are!)

This example would be record button on track 1 controlling knob 1 on the device control section.

Incoming: 90 30 oo (note on)
Outgoing: b0 10 01 (device controller knob 1 value goes to zero)
Incoming: 80 30 oo (note off)
Outgoing: b0 10 41 (device controller knob 1 value returns to central position)

So basically, when held down the button operates as a kill switch, when released it returns to default value.
or you can just press the button quickly to return your knob to its central position.

I have this mapped across all the knobs so when operating other effects I can centralise all knobs quickly every time. This gives me complete consistency every time I start introducing a new clip.

anyhow, this is probably childs play for you guys. but i felt like a f*cking genius last night. hahaha :D