APC 40 Ableton / Traktor Pro custom template switching

josephperkins

2010-01-09 04:11:46

Hi All

I run Traktor through ableton using Jack OSX. both synced.

I've recently purchased on APC 40 and would like to use it to control both programs. I have some experience in Bome MTpro.

First question is how to program LED feedback for the pads?

I'm good at reverse engineering tempates if anyone has got one.

Please send to Joe_perkins_1982@hotmail.com

S4racen

2010-01-13 11:54:50

How are you getting on Joe?/

Cheers
D

Attigo

2010-01-16 15:46:07

Hi Joe,

As far as I know, to control the LED feedback on the APC 40 you send MIDI messages to the input port. I don't have a template for what the APC sends/receives but I recommend using Midi OX to reverse engineer. Just have that and Ableton Live open and connect your controller, you can see what MIDI messages are being sent from and to your APC and take it from there... I did the same thing with a Mackie HUI Controller (and will be doing it with an APC soon enough).

As for Jack OSX, I don't know much about, can you set Traktor up to receive messages through Ableton? Or from the same port? How do you set this up?

Scott

Johnny Vulcan

2010-02-23 11:16:19

I can't speak for template switching, but I'm trying to sort that out now.
I also run the same general setup as you, but right now the way I do it is to run the APC in it's default state, rather than in native mode with Live. So the only midi Live recieves is the clock from Traktor and custom messages from BomeMT.
-Meaning, I am not using the "handshake" with Live. So far, it's a great setup, I can control all of Traktor and whatever I set up in BomeMT to do in Live.

However, what I'd really like to do is to be able to switch between the "handshake" mode, to get the benefits of the two way communication btw Live and the APC, and a Traktor only mode, where any manipulation of the controls ONLY affects Traktor. I know it can be done, but how...?

The caveat is that I'd like to be able to do it without having to make a translator in Bomes for every single command I need to send to Traktor. I already have a tsi with a billion commands :D

Johnny Vulcan

2010-03-06 00:36:33

Alright, I've got this thing working now, and I'm pretty psyched on it.

Traktor and Live synced, audio JackRouted into Live.
APC40 Native mode maintained (the handshake).
Simple back and forth switching between either program, with instant led updating.
All functionality for either program preserved.

This required translators for every single message the APC sends, in order to work right - which I had feared. (There are no midi through connections). It took forever to map it all. But the upshot is, now I've got this monster template, basically a virtual version of the APC where every note it sends is hard coded in a translator. Makes custom projects a piece of cake, since everything is right there, but you don't have to deal with midi through issues.

S4racen

2010-03-08 17:14:58

Very Cool!

Cheers
D

Attigo

2010-03-08 22:28:58

Good work buddy!!

Scott

Johnny Vulcan

2010-03-09 04:55:57

Thanks guys. Oh and Darren, I've seen your work. Nice job as well!
The real trick was that I didn't want to scrap my TPro mapping, which is very extensive and makes a lot of use of the APC's bank memory's (In default mode). BUT, the problem is that when maintaining the handshake, the APC doesn't cycle through banks, but sends device control info only on channel 1. So what I did is to emulate this behavior in the TPro portion of the Bomes template, using variables that translate things into the right channel messages. IE, when track selection 8 is pressed, device control knobs all send on channel 8. I'm pretty stoked - when all the bugs are ironed out, it'll be something like "The Bridge" but for Traktor.

josephperkins

2010-05-07 02:39:03

Johnny Vulcan wrote:Thanks guys. Oh and Darren, I've seen your work. Nice job as well!
The real trick was that I didn't want to scrap my TPro mapping, which is very extensive and makes a lot of use of the APC's bank memory's (In default mode). BUT, the problem is that when maintaining the handshake, the APC doesn't cycle through banks, but sends device control info only on channel 1. So what I did is to emulate this behavior in the TPro portion of the Bomes template, using variables that translate things into the right channel messages. IE, when track selection 8 is pressed, device control knobs all send on channel 8. I'm pretty stoked - when all the bugs are ironed out, it'll be something like "The Bridge" but for Traktor.
Hi Johnny - This sounds amazing, GREAT WORK

I must admit that i gave up after so many issues.

Would you be willing to share you template + .tsi file

Thanks man

JuanSOLO

2011-07-10 00:17:40

OK I have been thinking about doing exactly what this thread is about, and I am glad to see that it has been done.

@Johnny it would be great if you were willing to share the template, however I'd settle for just some guidance on where to start.

Zac Kyoti

2011-08-10 10:52:53

Hey Joe, Darren, JuanSolo -
I haven't been on the forums for a while, been struggling with a problem and thought maybe you guys could help. I'm the same person as "johnny vulcan" from the posts above (Kyoti has been getting more traction lately, so I'll be posting from that name from here out). I'd like to start distributing the APC40 Traktor/Live_Handshake enabled template as I've been getting more requests for it, but I'd like to iron something out first, to ease set-up. Please look at this post (there's just one):
http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3593

I know some of you guys have moved on to M4L, but any ideas you have would be much appreciated. My issue may be a Bome MT limitation. What I really need to know is whether the APC40 handshake can be established without resorting to M4L or a custom Python script, AND without using a midi through link in Bomes. Think along the lines of NativeKontrol without the script.

Thanks everyone - Z

Nonspacial

2011-09-30 01:59:56

if you are still struggling with this read my last post here and download the testing sysex.bmtp to see it working

http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3634

Zac Kyoti

2011-09-30 23:09:08

I got it sorted, but thank you regardless. Thing is, I needed the handshake WITHOUT the MIDI through connection in Bomes. I did it via a remote script edit. The APC mode switching via sysex is very handy though, and will be put to good use if I can ever figure out how to call the led refresh function from the Frameworks (I'm new at Python).

shenglu

2011-11-09 06:34:08

I have done, is to emulate this behavior in the Bomes TPRO part of the template, use the variable, LED Flashlights right channel information into something. IE browser, press the 8 track selection, equipment, control knobs are sent to channel 8.