Alt and Shift Keys in Ableton v5.2 with Yamaha 01X

chris_dan

2006-08-16 02:28:14

Hi Florian,

Nice group of tools that you have made available....

I've been able to map the 01X's function keys (note on/off) and then send a key stroke to Live 5without any problem. However, if I only want to use the Alt and Shift keys as modifiers that interact with a mouse control (shift + click) to highlight a range or (Alt + drag) to change the height of mulitple tracks at once it's a no go????? Pressing the keyboard values does work. Do these modifier keys require additional characters to inform the system of what I want them to do? Please let me know.

I noticed in another post that you had menetioned you did not have the keyboard equivalents for Live. If you'd like I can send them to you. They are included in the Live docs....

Regards
Chris

chris_dan

2006-08-17 04:42:59

Hi,

I'm a new user of MT and as I mentioned I have no problems mapping any of the documented keyboard equivalents in Live. The problem that I am having is with just mapping the alt or shift key to be used along with a mouse click or drag in Live. Combinations of ctrl alt or shift alt map ok but on their own Live is not seeing it. If I have a app like excel active the alt key translator works. Could it be that Live invokes some time of term cap that changes the function of the alt and shift keys?

Any suggestions would be appreciated if you have the time.....

Regards
Chris

chris_dan wrote:Hi Florian,

Nice group of tools that you have made available....

I've been able to map the 01X's function keys (note on/off) and then send a key stroke to Live 5without any problem. However, if I only want to use the Alt and Shift keys as modifiers that interact with a mouse control (shift + click) to highlight a range or (Alt + drag) to change the height of mulitple tracks at once it's a no go????? Pressing the keyboard values does work. Do these modifier keys require additional characters to inform the system of what I want them to do? Please let me know.

I noticed in another post that you had menetioned you did not have the keyboard equivalents for Live. If you'd like I can send them to you. They are included in the Live docs....

Regards
Chris

admin

2006-08-22 17:19:35

Hi Chris,

I'd need to try it for myself. There are several ways why this may not work as expected.

I guess that you're using version 1.40 which does not allow separate triggering of when you press down a key and when you release it: the keys you enter in the Outgoing Action will always be pressed and released right after that.

The next version will allow you to independently press and release keys like ALT so that they remain pressed. Then you can keep e.g. the ALT key pressed as long as you want.

If you have purchased Midi Translator, you can request a preview version of 1.50. Otherwise you can wait until 1.50 is released (I expect 4-6 weeks). More info about pre-release versions: http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=178

Florian

chris_dan

2006-08-25 05:48:40

Hi Florian,

Thanks for the quick reply. I've just returned from a brief holiday hence the delay on my end. I had wondered if the alt or shift key was not "latching" during my tests but it sounds like that is the issue. Just to confirm the "pro" version will see the mapped "note on" and hold the alt or shift key down until it sees the related "note off"...yes, no, maybe so?

Also, regarding the license key, does the heavy postcardware version entitle one to the pre-release or enhancement updates? Although I am not commercially using your software it sounds like if one requires full support then one must purchase the software which sounds quite alright by me.

Please confirm the "note on/off" with either the "alt/shift key" issue mentioned above and I will purchase the software ASAP...if I could only find a way to send you a Tim Horton's coffee (double/double).........

Regards
Chris

florian

2006-08-29 18:29:48

Hi Chris,

as I've said in the other post, thanks a lot for purchasing MT. You should have the "Pro" preview so that you can test independent down/up of keys.

Let us know if/how it works!
Regards,
Florian