Failed to open MIDI OUT device problem again

gabriels

2009-12-25 22:24:31

I've had this problem before...it seems to come and go...
When I open MT, it loads the last Project I was working on, however I keep getting the message
"Failed to open MIDI OUT device "Bome's Midi Translator 1 Virtual In" Please connect the device(s) or select another one in the MIDI setup."

- I don't know, first of all, why BMT 1 Virtual In is considered to be a MIDI OUT device.
- I see it in my MIDI Setup (because I chose to enable a single virtual in and virtual out port).
- It's enabled (check mark) in MIDI Setup.
- I don't know what it means to connect the device.
- When I click on "Open Used Ports", I get the message "No MIDI ports needed to be opened or closed", so it seems that the port is active.

I am using only this one port as input to MT - it's set up as the Project default, and all translators are set up to use the Project default input (which is the virtual port). The input comes from Midiox, where I do quite a bit of processing also, and then send output to MT.

This is harder to remember, but I think that some presets and translators work just fine, but others don't see any input at all, even though their input structure is identical.

I seem to be able to fix this by creating a duplicate of a working preset which has a translator with an identical Input trigger as the one i need to get working again. I also make sure it's output is the same. Then I copy the rules from the working translator into the rules for the duplicate translator. Voila! This new translator sees midi input again, and works in all respects.

What is going on? Can someone clue me in?
Thanks,
Gabriel