Removing an aliased port corrupts MT project

gabriels

2009-12-24 20:54:28

Florian,
I've discovered the root cause of my problem with a corrupted Project file. All is well until I try to remove an aliased port. If there is still a reference to it in the MT code, deleting the aliased port in MIDI SETUP somehow scrambles the code and creates the dreaded "ERROR: Wrong string format" when I try to load the code after saving it. Strangely, the code seems to work fine until I save. After that, I can't load the file successfully. What does load is all Presets up to the first offending Preset (one with a deleted aliased port), but all subsequent presets disappear.

Thankfully, the "Save Project as text" utility came in handy, since I was able to easily search through the text file and find all "offending" references to the aliased files. This is rather laborious when doing it in MT itself.

In my case, I had some aliased ports used as default input and output for several of the presets and for some of the translators. When I went through the code and redirected the ports to the original (unaliased) ports, I was then able to delete the unneeded aliased ports using MIDI SETUP.

True, there is notification that you are about to delete an alias that is used in the Project, but I think I got that message even after I had reassigned all presets and translators to use the unaliased ports.

In any case, if I'm right about this, it would help to explain this situation more clearly in the manual to keep other people out of trouble.
Gabriel

zasnicoff

2012-02-03 03:46:48

Any news on this subject? (after all these years, I wonder why this is still a bug). I got my license today and I just lost my file, many hours of work.... third time today. :evil:
Let me know if there's any change I can do to the .bmtp file or wether I can send the file for correction.
Just to confirm, the issue happened after referencing some translators to the previously deleted alias port.
Appreciate any response, tks.

florian

2012-02-12 11:17:23

Hi,

sorry that I've never responded here. This forum topic must have slipped through.

Yes, this is a bug in 1.7.1. Indeed, only very few people stumbled upon it, so I did not do an "emergency" update.

If you have a corrupted .bmtp file that you cannot load anymore, don't re-save it from within MT! Only that would really corrupt it.

What to do:
  • The 1.7.2 beta version (and all later versions) has this bug fixed:
    http://www.bome.com/products/miditransl ... loads/beta
    It should load your corrupt bmtp files fine.
  • Otherwise, to fix your existing .bmtp files, you can
    • either open it up in a text editor, look for all lines containing "MIDA0000" with nothing following, and remove that "MIDA0000". (it stands for "MIDI Alias List with 0 entries).
    • OR - send me the .bmtp file and I'll fix it for you.
Thanks,
Florian

zasnicoff

2012-02-13 14:33:05

Thank you, Florian, I ended p redoing my project.
I will go ahead and install the beta version as to avoid issues in the future. Should I do that?
Tks
Dennis

florian

2012-02-13 23:22:11

yes, the beta version is quite stable for OLD features. There are minor bugs with the new Delayed Action feature.
Regards,
Florian