Yeow!!! "Save Project as Text" makes debugging a s

gabriels

2009-12-24 06:41:45

I just downloaded MT v1.71 mainly for the new "Save Project as Text" utility. Using that with PSPad (a freeware code editor), I'm really ripping through the final (I hope) debugging stages in my MT Code.

One of my needs has always been to be able to locate all the variables scattered throughout my code. I wasn't disciplined enough to keep track of them when I wrote the code, and, in any case, I add and delete them as I make progress. The other aspects of the code change as well, and I really wanted to be able to see different sections of the code at the same time so I could see how variables were being set, and how they were being evaluated. Being able to scan the entire project for variables and for the code itself using only MT was difficult, The 'view log' function was a help, but the tiny rules editing window in MT obscures long lines, and debugging tended to be awkward because the code "inspection" tools were limited.

Printing the 60 presets in my code, one preset at a time, and then combining the preset text files into one continuous text file was helpful, but took way too long, and, as I said the code was evolving, and I had to do it pretty often.

But now there is "Save Project as Text". Used in conjunction with PSPad, it's a joy to use. Saving the text file just takes a second, and PSPad allows me to inspect the code in powerful ways (split window, great search engine, ability to list all the places a character string appears in the code, and then visit those places in the code, etc). And, of course, since it's so easy and fast to generate the text file, i can do it often as the code evolves.

One million thanks for this great improvement. I only wish it had been developed earlier.
Gabriel

Previously I'd have to

florian

2010-01-03 14:04:56

Hey Gabriels,

thanks, that's nice to hear! Indeed, there are so many useful functions that just wait to be implemented, and it's hard to choose which ones to do first.

Glad that this one helps you to save time.

Happy New Year!
Florian