aftertouch

MAZE

2009-11-25 20:08:40

I'm sorry, but I've searched the forum and checked the manual and can't find the answer. Can MIDI Translator map aftertouch messages to CCs?
Thanks for your help.

Attigo

2009-11-25 22:24:28

Hi MAZE!

Sure, MT can do that...

What is it you are trying to do? And what gear are you using?

cheers,
Scott Hobbs

MAZE

2009-12-01 04:49:31

That's great! I figured as much, but couldn't find anything for sure. But I will also admit to not really understanding some of what I read here, such as garubi's recent explanation of changing sysex values to CCs, which I assume must be similar to changing the aftertouch info. Hopefully it is not as complex as it seems.

I'm not trying to do anything fancy. I have a live laptop performance rig and just changed one of my controllers to a Roland PCR500. One of the users on Brainspawn's Forte forum recommended MT as a way of making hardware changes like that easier in Forte. It also just happens that the PCR500 transmits aftertouch and it appears that none of my soft synths receive atertouch info. In particular, I was thinking Pro53 would be fun with aftertouch

Attigo

2009-12-01 22:48:59

MAZE,

If your Soft-Synths don't recieve Aftertouch messages, we might be a little stuck. We could always try and do it with normal CC messages. MT will be able to convert the messages easily.

What are the Aftertouch messages your unit is sending?

Scott

MAZE

2009-12-02 05:37:29

Ok, now I am a little confused. Maybe I didn't word it correctly, but my original question was exactly that... can MT change aftertouch messages into CC messages.

You probably understand this better than I do, but after doing some research it would seem that aftertouch or channel pressure sends a message 1101nnnn 0ppppppp [n= MIDI channel p=pressure (0-127)] which then needs to be chaged to something like 1011nnnn 0ccccccc 0vvvvvvv [n=channel c=controller # v=controller value(0-127)]

Attigo

2009-12-02 05:58:27

Right.

This is quite a simple task. If that is the message format the controller sends then you will need to carry through your MIDI channel (n) and the pressure (p) to the outgoing CC message as the MIDI channel and the velocity/value. You will create a Controller number yourself.

The values you have given are in Binary, in MT those values are handled as Hex.

Your translator should work like this:

Input > Outgoing
(nn pp) (nn xx pp)

xx will be your selected controller number (v).

Hope this helps...

MAZE

2009-12-02 06:19:10

Ok thanks, that makes sense. But I am still a little confused ... don't I need to include the first four numbers before the nn/MIDI channel as well. 1101=aftertouch and 1011= controller change.

If I am reading you right you only have

Input > Outgoing
(nn pp) (nn xx pp)

Thanks for your help!

Attigo

2009-12-02 06:34:54

Yes, that's what I was asking before, what is the full message that the controller sends for Aftertouch?

You will need to include this full message but just carry through the values you need to the CC.

Scott

MAZE

2009-12-03 05:33:17

Thanks so much, Scott. Quite simple, as you said.

This is what I came up with:

Incoming: D0 vv
Outgoing: B0 01 vv

both on MIDI channel 1 and switching to CC 1/mod wheel

Attigo

2009-12-06 08:07:03

That should work nicely!

Good work. I'm glad I could help...

Scott