Novation Launchpad

Moosh

2009-11-18 03:16:58

Has anyone tried to mod the LaunchPad?

Basically I want to "turn off" it's scene launching ability. I find it annoying that the same button does volume and launches a scene -- a situation that could easily cause a mistake if I'm on session instead of mixer... In the middle of a performance this could be a disastrous and easy mistake.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!
8)

Attigo

2009-11-18 16:40:54

Hi Moosh!

So do you only want to be able to use your launchpad for only mixing controls?

You will need to know the MIDI input commands coming from the LaunchPad, especially the clip launch messages. I would suggest you run the MIDI through MT but block out the ones you don't want (scene mode).

For example, The top left button might send 90 01 7f on 'scene mode' but on 'mixing mode', might send 90 02 7f.

One way of doing this would have an 'any' MIDI message in and follow out..

like:

oo pp qq > rules > oo pp qq

But you want to cut out the messages you don't want so now it would be:

oo pp qq > if pp=01 then exit rules, skip outgoing action > oo pp qq

There is a couple of different ways of getting around something like this, but I hope this works for you...

cheers,
Scott Hobbs

Moosh

2009-11-19 05:14:08

Thanks for the info - I will try that.

Quick question - do i have to set this up for every single control on the device, or will it simply pass thru if there is to be no change to the button... i.e., only write translator functions for buttons i want to change?

Thanks again!

Attigo

2009-11-19 14:43:22

Moosh,

If you want to remove a mode, you will just need to block out the messages from that mode...

OR, if you want, you could make them all act the same as the buttons in the mode you want to use? Therefore any mode you were in, would just act the same as each other, so you would essentially only have the one mode.

cheers,
Scott

Moosh

2009-11-19 22:37:11

To clarify,

If I only want to change / translate 8 buttons (remove the scene functionality) can the rest act as a pass thru? e.g. I don't want to have to make translators for all 8x8 buttons if I don't want to change their functionality.

It's not that I want them to be static between session, mixer, user 1 and user 2.

it's that I dont' want to have to make a translator that is full of hundreds of commands, when all I want to do is change just 8 buttons.

Hope this is clear??

Attigo

2009-11-19 23:34:23

Moosh,

Just make one Translator that will pass through all the MIDI data from your controller, but stops the Notes from the buttons you don't want...

Your Translator input should be something like 'oo pp qq' and the same for your output, 'oo pp qq'. This will just allow all the messages through. These are called local variables, and will 'hold' the value/number for as long as the Translator is in operation. Perfect for a 'pass-through'

You will need to write rules within that Translator that 'blocks' those messages you don't want. For example, the input note messages are...

90 01 7f
90 02 7f
90 03 7f
90 04 7f
90 05 7f
90 06 7f
90 07 7f
90 08 7f

Then you would write rules in that Translator like...

if pp=01 then exit rules, skip outgoing action
if pp=02 then exit rules, skip outgoing action
so on and so on...

This will stop the messages going through, they will be 'lost' in MT. But rememeber the inputs and outputs of a Translator are 'hexidecimal' and the rules handle 'decimal' numbers. For eg, if your input was 90 2D 7f, '2D' would show up in the rules as 44.

If all the buttons on your controller are all on the same MIDI channel, this should be easy, but you should have a look and see if they are. If not then you will need to introduce different Presets...

Hope this helps!

Scott

markqvist

2010-01-11 12:57:03

Hi guys, you might be interested in this.

I've written a program called Katapult, that let's you use the Launchpad with any MIDI software. It can map totally custom multipage layouts of buttons, faders and so on to the Launchpad, and send the midi output to any midi device or software. Check it out here:

www.midikatapult.com