Help on takeover mode with live

Alkuimista

2009-11-17 14:34:58

Hi all, i´ve made some presets with some shift buttons for my mpd24 controller, as i only have 8 knobs, with the help of shift function i can now have as many as i want "almost".
My main problem is that, when one knob jumps to another parameter in live, it send the previous midi value, so if im using it to control some effect, and then i return to the equalizer, it ruins the mix, cause i have a big jump in the parameter.
I´m using midi Yoke to connect to live, and i lost the functionality of takeover mode in live.

Can someone help me on this?

Attigo

2009-11-17 18:29:33

Hi Alkuimista!

You should be able to do this within your MPD...

If you change bank, and hold down the 'PREVIEW' button, the LCD screen will display the value that knob/fader was last at, this will also allow you to adjust that knob/fader to that position without sending a MIDI output...

Hope that helps!

cheers,
Scott Hobbs

Alkuimista

2009-11-17 18:35:32

Thanks for the reply, yeaa i know that, the problem is that if im mixing, and i have 6 of the enconders for both decks to equalize, then i´ll have to do that for all the enconders, and will not be able to make quick corrections to the mix, every time i change the preset. I was trying to get the Value Scaling working properly with Bomes, But it will only work if i have the midi thru enabled, and doing so i will not be able to make the presets work like its intended. :( (by the way, im using Classic Bomes)

Alkuimista

2009-11-19 04:42:33

No replys... :( I guess the APC40 users will run the same sort of problems... no one?

Attigo

2009-11-19 14:46:02

Alkuimista,

To be honest, I still don't understand what you are trying to do...

Scott

Alkuimista

2009-11-19 16:07:10

I´ve been searching the web for this, and i guess its a general problem.

The problem is in the endless rotary knobs of Akai MPD24, that aren´t endless :S, cause they send a continuous CC message from 1 to 127, and the MPD dont receive Midi feedback, so when you are in a present let´s say an autofilter using one knob and the knob stays on 87, when you change your preset and now the same Knob is controlling another parameter of other device, that is in the 22 (example), the knob will send 87 creating a big jump.
What i was trying to achieve, was getting the endless rotary to pick the value from ableton and not sending the last value.
I don't know if you can understand me now?

Attigo

2009-11-19 17:44:57

Ok, I think I get what you are saying.

I too use an MPD(32) and I know how much of a pain those non-relative, non-endless, endless encoders are. But the reason they made them that way is to take advantage of their bank switching and built-in soft-takeover mode.

The only way (that i know of) to get MIDI output from Ableton Live is if you use either the APC40 or the Mackie Control/HUI Control Maps. You can do some cool stuff with this and Midi Translator, very cool stuff indeed. I made the Stanton SCS.1m Ableton Preset this way. Sadly, the only way to handle your SENDS and DEVICES in Live with these Control Maps is with 'Relative' messages, where the MPD only does 'Absolute'. i don't think there is a way make these encoders Relative control because when they reach 0 or 127 they stop sending messages.

It's something we should request from AKAI for a Firmware update, it would open many options... And solve your issue.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, you want Live to set your parameters on your encoders for the different banks?

Scott

Alkuimista

2009-11-19 19:36:31

Well thats it... i´ve send an email to akai talking about this, with no response till now. I was hoping if i could somehow restore the last value of a knob in a variable within a preset, that when i return to the same preset i could send only from that value, but the problem is what u said, when it reaches 0 or 127 it stops sending.

Thanks anyway for your replys

Attigo

2009-11-19 19:42:09

No worries buddy!

Sorry I couldn't have been more of a help. I'll fire an email over to AKAI aswell, and I might be able to make a connection to some of their engineers through somebody I know. It's definately something they need to do!

Let me know if you get anywhere...

Scott