Ableton SENDS, MT solution?

robsnolca

2009-11-13 15:40:00

here's my situation, I mix, as in doing final mixes with Ableton. I have a BCF2000 controller.

I'm sick of using the mouse to control the sends. I don't want to assing a rotary knob for every single SEND on every track, but that is the only way that I seem to be able to control them.

What I want to do is:

For exmaple,

if I push button 1, then rotary knobs 1-8 will control SEND A for tracks 1-8.
If I push button 2, then rotary knobs 1-8 will control SEND B for tracks 1-8.
If I push button 3, then rotary knobs 1-8 will control SEND C for tracks 1-8

and so on....

is this possible? could somebody explain me how? somebody replied to me on a forum I shold use MT, but how?

please

don't re-direct me to another forum where people aren't even talking about this.
I would aprreciate the help. Cheers.

my controller: http://www.behringer.de/EN/Products/BCF2000.aspx

S4racen

2009-11-13 18:59:17

Hi there,

you'll find the answer here on the forum, you need to search for Global Variables....

In simple form what you'll be creating is a simple rule that records which of your buttons was the last pressed, when a rotary knob is turned it checks which knob was pressed and sends out the corresponding midi message (you might have the same midi cc but change the midi channel for example....

You then just need to map the different midi messages within ableton....

Cheers
D

Attigo

2009-11-17 07:33:21

Hi robsnolca!

S4racen is correct with his reply! If you are having any trouble executing this then give us a shout...

cheers,
Scott Hobbs

robsnolca

2009-11-18 00:18:51

Hi Guys,

thanks for the reply. Sorry I didn't get back to you before on this one, but I was doing my homework :P so yeah I've spent a bunch of days reading forums regarding global variables, but to be honest I'm still quite lost. :shock: I mean I do get the concept but I don't know how to implement it with what I want to do. I do manage to get MT to capture my CCs but then I have no idea what I am supposed to do- since nobody seems to be doing what I am trying to do I have no example to follow from a previous post...

This is really frustratin cos I'm usually really good at figuring things out ( I work in media u know, very impressive CV I'd tell you, lol)

no but really, I would appreciate any guidance you guys could give me, sorry to be a pain. I would sure buy the full version if MT solves my problem.

cheers.

Attigo

2009-11-18 01:34:09

Hi robsnolca,

Global Variables are a 'holder' of any number you set or define which you will be able to use anywhere in the preset. Very handy tool.

Let's say you want 3 'modes' or 'banks' for your encoders...

Firstly you will need the 8 translators per bank, which will have the inputs from your controller and the outputs of your choice. Maybe have the same MIDI notes but each of the 3 sets could be on a different channel.

You will then need to define your button inputs as seperate translators and make each one set the variable. For example:

(Input Button) 90 01 7f > (Rules) ga=1 > (Output) None
(Input Button) 90 02 7f > (Rules) ga=2 > (Output) None
(Input Button) 90 03 7f > (Rules) ga=2 > (Output) None

Then in your different sets of (8) translators you just need to put rules like:

Set 1:
(Input Encoder) B0 01 oo > (Rules) if ga!=1 then exit rules execute Outgoing action > (Output) B0 01 oo

Set 2:
(Input Encoder) B0 01 oo > (Rules) if ga!=2 then exit rules execute Outgoing action > (Output) B1 01 oo

Set 3:
(Input Encoder) B0 01 oo > (Rules) if ga!=3 then exit rules execute Outgoing action > (Output) B2 01 oo

Here you are only allowing the messages through if you are in the correct mode...

I hope this makes sense and I hope it helps!

cheers,
Scott

robsnolca

2009-11-24 12:34:17

Hi Attigo, I'm back! :mrgreen:

ok so I did what you suggested, but here's the questions/situation

(what should I set my button encoders to? CC, note, PC?
and what other parameters should I set them to? does that matter?

*same questions for the rotary knobs, CC, PC...? any other paramenters I should change?

*I manage to do what you explain but I saw no difference. How do I implement the changes? I tried to use midi-yoke but my computer goes crazy and says It has no memory...even though I have a dual core laptop...

also on your explanation u use oo instead of pp which is what I get as default, do I need to change that?

Last, what should I be routing my MIDI in out on BOme? I have my BCF2000 conected through a USB cable. I have In and Out set to my BCF2000 in Bome.

sorry for the questionaire.
THanks for the help once again.

Attigo

2009-11-24 19:30:28

Hi robsnolca,

You can set the output parameters to whatever you want, just make sure they are all different.

'oo' or 'pp' (or 'qq' through 'zz') all do the same thing, they are 'local' variables and will hold a value within a translator whilst it is operating...

You should set up your MIDI aliases as 'From BCF2000' as your Input and 'To Ableton' as your Output. You can define these in your MIDI settings. The Alias you make as 'From BCF2000' select the input as your controller and the 'To Ableton' Alias, set it to 'Bome's Virtual Out 1'.

In your Presets and Translators, you can define what the default Input and Output Aliases are.

If you are still having trouble I recommend you post what you have of your Preset up on the forum for me/others to look at.

cheers,
Scott