Tempo adjustment in Ableton Live/APC-40

trilobyte

2009-10-24 09:11:12

I'm getting started with Bomes Pro for Mac, and having some difficulty setting a control to push the tempo on my APC 40 in Ableton Live.

Getting into specifics, I'm trying to re-map the default Tempo Nudge buttons on the controller, and want to change the behavior so that pressing the Nudge Up button adds +1 to the tempo, and Nudge Down has a -1 effect.

I know this has to be possible, as I've seen +1/-1 tempo functionality in the Native Kontrol CL1/TC1 templates (they just set it up in a place where I can't use it).

So... in creating a translator, I've captured the MIDI message 80 64 7F (Note E6) for the key-press of the Nudge Up button on the controller. Now what? I'm at a loss for what to enter either under the Rules or the Outgoing section in order to actually change the tempo in Live.

Any ideas?

trilobyte

2009-10-29 15:52:51

Nothing? Can anybody at least point me in the direction of a web site or resource where I might have better luck?

Is 'tempo' a standard MIDI value, or is that going to be an application-specific message?

Attigo

2009-11-17 06:51:22

Hi trilobyte!

There is no direct +1 or -1 Tempo message you can send to Ableton Live, but with MT you can trick it...

In Live, you can MIDI-Map to the tempo adjust, coarse or fine, coarse being your full numbers (eq. 120.) and fine being the decimal numbers (eg .43). You should really map a rotary (CC) control to this, but here is where MT comes into play:

For your Tempo UP button, you should output an incremental relative CC message output and for your Tempo DOWN button you should output an decremental relative CC message. Then select the control input type for your tempo in Ableton to be relative CC message too...

For your Tempo UP send something like B0 01 41, and for your Tempo DOWN send B0 01 3F. These are Relative CC messages and it should make Live think it is receiving data from a rotary encoder...

You are basically sending CC data from a Note control...

Have a go and let me know how you get on!

cheers,
Scott Hobbs