What are they and what are the variations ??

Dadith1

2009-10-05 22:19:54

Hello to all the Forum!

I just registered and I am a beginner as well as being Italian
I'm using Google to translate into English :-)
I bought Bomé's Midi Translator PRO
Let me know if anyone cares to explain what are the variants
I can not understand what they are and what use could I make with my Akai APC40
Thank Pending :)

florian

2009-10-05 22:57:19

Hi Dadith,

we'll explain, but what are you trying to achieve? Have you looked at MT's manual, in particular the tutorials? That'll give you a good introduction on how to use MT.

Thanks and best regards,
Florian

Dadith1

2009-10-06 01:39:06

florian wrote:Hi Dadith,

we'll explain, but what are you trying to achieve? Have you looked at MT's manual, in particular the tutorials? That'll give you a good introduction on how to use MT.

Thanks and best regards,
Florian

I will try 'to explain myself better in spite of my difficulties'!
When can 'be useful to use the rules Assignment?
When can 'be useful to use the rules Expression?
When can 'be useful to use the rules Conditional?
When can 'be useful to use the Jump rules?
When can 'be useful to use the rules Label?
When can 'be useful to use the rules Exit Rules, Execute Outgoing Action?
When can 'be useful to use the rules Exit Rules, Skip Outgoing Action?

Can I have some simple examples simple?
Thanks for your patience

Dadith1

2009-10-07 23:00:31

Help me??

litL1

2009-11-07 10:20:32

Ciao Dadith1

I am quite inexperienced myself (had a long break with BMT) but i may be able to help you, as i speak Italian (male ma ci proverei).

Thing is the forum insists on keeping the language in english - for obvious reasons, so if you'd like to, you could send me a contact, and we see how far my italian and your english takes us, how's that?

ONE LOVE

Dadith1

2009-11-07 19:15:47

litL1 wrote:Ciao Dadith1

I am quite inexperienced myself (had a long break with BMT) but i may be able to help you, as i speak Italian (male ma ci proverei).

Thing is the forum insists on keeping the language in english - for obvious reasons, so if you'd like to, you could send me a contact, and we see how far my italian and your english takes us, how's that?

ONE LOVE
My contact MSN is dadith1@hotmail.it
My contact Facebook is Luca Taurisano
Expect you to contact me
Thanks for the help :)

litL1

2009-11-13 18:15:24

Hi Dadith,

sorry to be replying just now... i was abducted by the aliens :wink:
Anyway, ...
i'm wondering:

Did you get any further in regard to your questions by maybe trying things out more?

Do you have a specific problem you're trying to work out now?

It seems to me, by reading through your older posts, that you've had difficulty in understanding the usage of variables, and the Rule Section in genaral...
and i must admit and agree this is a complex issue, which i would love to understand better myself!
There are a number of examples posted here in the forum, which i used as starting points for solving my particular issues, and enabled me to find some kind of 'Frankensteinian'-like solutions (ugly looking, convoluted), mainly through trial and error (certainly not with any understanding) and a general explanation in the manual, which i assume you have read - no?
(imho too few, for the mathematically challenged, like myself - wink notch Flo. Rü. :wink: )

But i think it is better to try and understand them using specific problems!
ok, i allow myself to translate this as i believe this is where the problem originates (please correct me if i am wrong): Mentre tu vorresti capire i concetti in generale per poi essere in grado d'applicarli liberamente.. che ovviamente ha molto senso!.. pero...
loro purtroppo invece non possono dedicare il tempo voluto per spiegare ad ogni persona i principi d'algebra o il concetto generale di come si usa variabile.... purtroppo
Questo detto pero...
In this way there will be more usable answers from more helpful people and more understanding.

For as long as we can keep it in the forum it maybe be helpful for the rest of the community! Then if it gets too complicated on any specific issue, i am happy to extend my help by pm.

@BMT (and the rest of the forum users, for that matter), apart from my long overdue and genuine compliments!! on where you have taken this great program since i last used it, during the first Mac betas - it's obvious you've put your heart in it!!!
- i would like to suggest, to collect all information specific to the Rules Section - the use of variables, assignments, expressions, etc., together with a variety of case scenarios & examples - but more importantly perhaps, the underlying mathematical logic of when & why to choose which Rule Type, and implement them in the manual.
And/Or even make them into a Sticky, adding user's solutions & comments posted, too, once you guys had verified them to be correct and generally useful.
These could be sub-categorized by Rule Types and/or Variable Types and maybe solutions people are searching for...

I know, it's a project in itself, but the user base has grown so enormously that there must be folks who'd be willing & able to contribute time for collecting the data, no :?

@Dadith
Hope you understand where i'm coming from and that this helps. Also do let me know, if not!

***ONE LOVE***

florian

2009-11-17 11:34:33

Hi litL1,

thanks for the kudos! And yes, we're aware that documentation and written explanations and use case scenarios and examples are important. With a little search, the forums already provide solutions for many different problems.

We do have a section on Rules in the user manual, though I acknowledge that it might not be well suited for teaching someone the use of Rules. I wouldn't know how to TEACH rules. I can explain what they do, but it's very abstract to explain when you need them. Maybe it's easiest to formulate it the other way round: if you can do what you want to do without Rules, then you don't need them.

It's a good idea to make a sticky RULES thread which unifies posts that explain the use of rules.

Thanks!
Florian

Dadith1

2009-11-17 14:31:44

florian wrote:Hi litL1,

thanks for the kudos! And yes, we're aware that documentation and written explanations and use case scenarios and examples are important. With a little search, the forums already provide solutions for many different problems.

We do have a section on Rules in the user manual, though I acknowledge that it might not be well suited for teaching someone the use of Rules. I wouldn't know how to TEACH rules. I can explain what they do, but it's very abstract to explain when you need them. Maybe it's easiest to formulate it the other way round: if you can do what you want to do without Rules, then you don't need them.

It's a good idea to make a sticky RULES thread which unifies posts that explain the use of rules.

Thanks!
Florian
It would be a good idea to create guides or examples for the use of rules
Cosi 'people like me would have more' opportunity to learn
Last thing I do not understand why 'there is a forum in English only when and for Bomes' also sold in Italy!
So who am I resign myself to not learn Italian??
Yet when I bought it could tell me!
Excuse the outburst but it did not seem right

florian

2009-11-17 22:02:22

Hi Dadith1,

sorry, we wish we could offer the program, the web site, the documentation, and these forums in all languages, especially in my beloved Italian. The only "little" problem is that it costs a lot of money. I estimate that I need one full employee to maintain all that per language. Quite a lot, given that all of Bome is just 2 people...

However, we don't mind discussions in other languages. Puoi scrivere in itliano se vuoi... pero, poche persone lo capiscono...

Thanks,
Florian

litL1

2009-11-18 15:06:29

Caspita! Florian!!

mi stupisci! :)

Ma quanto siamo internazionale.. mi piace :mrgreen:

famusvictim

2013-01-27 06:17:32

I have to point out that when you say that you wouldn't know how to "teach rules" because they're a little "abstract".... you seem to forget that musicians don't think like programmers primarily, but will gladly learn programming if they are shown its direct connection to their applications... and that goes beyond the APC and the Ableton. examples are crucial... examples of code

PLease refer to a new post I'm about to post in the feature requests for a more elucidated statement. thanks.