Does using labels as comments slow down MT?

gabriels

2009-09-30 08:48:23

As my program grows, I'm finding it increasingly necessary to put comments into my MT code. You advised me to use Labels as a way to implement these comments.
Does this negatively affect the running of my MT code in any way...speed, etc? Some of my comments require several separate labels because the comments are long and the edit window they are displayed in is rather small.
Thanks,
Gabriel

florian

2009-10-05 22:44:30

Hi Gabriels,

we are aware of the general problem of commenting and editing the rules code. What started off as just a way to add and subtract to/from variables became a mini scripting language, but some parts haven't kept up.

A label will have VERY little impact on performance. It is not a "no-op". It is a simple command processor that will go through the rules one by one and decide what to do. When it sees a label it decides to immediately go to the next rule. I'd say it's neglectible. There are translators in use with hundreds of rules and they run without noticeable delay, so a rule that does nothing will not affect performance to any noticeable degree.

Hope that was clear :)
Florian

gabriels

2009-10-06 02:30:56

Hi Florian,
Yes...clear as a bell with no midi latency.
Thanks,
Gabriel