Issues with Mapping MIDI using The SHIFT Key on APC 40

sekundenstil

2009-09-25 14:28:12

Hi to all,

I'm facing some issues while using the SHIFT key in combination with other keys. I want to remap some clips with other functionalities as clip start or stop. for that case I created some translators which enables some leds on the grid. now I want to use the stop triggers to switch between my own presets of functions. that should be done with SHIFT and STOP 1 or STOP 2 etc. buttons. I added a translator which says on pressing SHIFT and the STOP clip please activate a new preset. Now if I press SHIFT together with TOP 2 the second preset gets active and as long as I keep holding the SHIFT button the new configured LEDS are lit. Do I release the SHIFT button the LEDS go off.

For MIDI sequence I choose B0 xx pp 91 34 pp and that is working until I release the SHIFT button. Do I add the B0 xx pp behind both entries the MIDI mapping is not working any longer.

If I capture the sequence I get 8 messages if I press the SHIFT button then if I press the STOP button 91 34 pp I get 91 34 7F and 81 34 7F and if I release the SHIFT button only the 8 messages are displayed.

Does anybody know how to manage MIDI sequences including the SHIFT button?

Thanks

Olli

sekundenstil

2009-09-25 15:06:44

Hi to all again,

i found my mistake. I need to enable swallow.

Olli

sekundenstil

2009-09-25 17:12:30

Hi,

now i've got the next problem. If I add or remove some tracks (MIDI or Audio), the 2nd part of the MIDI details is increasing or decreasing. If I configured my MIDI sequence like this B0 32 pp 91 34 pp and I added one track then B0 32 is not working anymore because the SHIFT button is now at B0 33 pp.

Has someone an idea to solve that issue?

Thanks

Olli

ruediger

2009-09-28 09:58:51

Hi,

I don't know exactly what you want to do, but it seems like you need Rules and Variables.

Incoming:
B0 pp qq

Then work with the variables in the Rules section.

Best regards,
Rüdi

S4racen

2009-09-28 19:02:57

Yeah what
ruediger wrote: Rüdi
said.....

Just remember to convert everything to hex from the midi cc and you'll be fine....

Cheers
D

sekundenstil

2009-09-29 19:12:11

hi guys,

for you it seems to be pretty simple but i don't have any clue how the variables and stuff can be used to affect other translators etc.

the following i want to do:

Stop Buttons 1 and 2 should be used to switch between 2 own mappings of the clip launch matrix. if i press shift + stop button 2 i want to remap the clip buttons with my own features incl. colors etc. if i press shift + stop button 1 the normal clip launch matrix should be seen.

i managed it to get it work if i said on pressing b0 30 3f or b0 31 3f .... b0 37 3f in combination with the midi code of the stop buttons that the new preset of bome has been loaded.

in the 2nd preset i said on release of the shift button b0 30 3f ... b0 37 3f lit some colors. then i programmed some keystrokes on it.

now the problem is that sometimes some strange midi notes are sent if i move the box throught the clip view in live. the midi notes of the shift key are changing.

i have no clue how to manage that with variables and rules.

can you give me some examples.

@D: i guess you managed it already. i saw a video by you in which you are doing that stuff.

regards

olli

S4racen

2009-09-29 22:14:14

It'd be difficult to explain how i did it, i had two presets running....

The first looks after the midi messages, simply put i had a lot of global variables set up so that if the shift was held down ga=1, then i had a translator for every button i wanted a dual function for that would check if ga=1 and then decided whether to send the standard message or a modified one (i used a nanokontrol to map to each part of live and then mimiced it's midi messages in Bomes to have the same effect)

I then had a second preset that purely looked after the lights for the two scenes i created, for every pad i had to decide how many states i'd want for each pad and then create a global variable for each say...

gb=1
1+gb=gb
if gb=2 then gb=0

would add one to gb each time the button is pressed until it reached 2 then it reset back to 0... WIth this rule i created a two state button eg. gb could equal 0 or 1....

When i selected my second scene it would check to see the last recorded value of the button and then send a midi message to the apc to light the pad accordingly eg gb=0 pad=red gb=1 pad=green (i'm sure someone's posted the velocity's required to change the colours of the pads if not do a google search on super hacking guide and create digital music)

The challenge then comes when you let go of shift, as this is the action in the standard mapping that asks Ableton to send it's sysex across to the apc to update the pads with their correct status. The way i got round this was having shift plus (any button you choose but i went for track select 5) would mean gc=1 and shift plus (another button you choose but i went for track select 8) gc=0....

When shift is released i set up a translator for the note off message that wouild swallow the message if gc=1 and let it pass if gc=0, this way when i was in the second scene it wouldn;t try and take over the state of the pads with it's weird handshake messages....

Not sure if this is helping but give us a shout if there's stuff you get stuck with, i found it's a steep learning curve with the apc and it's quite heavy on the number of translators required which is why i'm impressed with the work Stray put into his nativekontrol series.....

I still seem to get audio glitches with the scroll function though...

CHeers
D