akai apc 40 and ableton customization

roajah

2009-09-21 15:08:31

hello

grab a beer, cigar, food, water, becauze it's alot to read.

i just bought the Apc40 and it's awesome, but i don't like the way i have to switch the tracks so i can change some effects.
i use the Ableton 8 and Apc40 for dj-ing. and changing between 2 channels 20 times when you bring a track in, is not quite the best way to do it.

so i kept googleing and i found out about Bome midi translator. i have the pro trial version. but i don't know how to use it, and i don't have much time to learn because of an upcoming event.

well, i thought for a while and i came up with a better way to use some buttons i don't need.

so
here it goes:

pink 1,2,3,4 are my audio channels.
on each channel i have the EQ Three effect. instead of switching the tracks using the track selector, i want to use them fast without switching because sometimes i need to use 2 channel eq's at the same time with the knobs turning opposite ways.
Eq Three 1 goes to channel 1, Eq three 2 goes to channel 2, Eq three 3 and 4 go to channels 3 and 4.

that covers the eq'ing section.

now, i want more from the akai. i want to leave the mouse where it was before starting the mix.
i want to select the song i want to play from my audio channel 1,2,3 and 4. for that i want to use the buttons 1,2,3,4,5 green in the image.
functions: 1 - navigate up
2 - navigate left
3 - navigate right
4 - navigate down
5 - load the selected song in the clip view, ready to play

beside these controls, i want to use the following:
10 - scroll up
11 - scroll down
6 and 7 if it is possible, to move the start marker left and right
12 - the Follow function when the clip plays.

2 more functions are needed and i choose the knobs number 13 and 14
13 - song scrolling [same as clicking and dragging left and right]
14 - zoom in and out [click and drag up and down]

well this is alot to read so thanks alot for helping.
oh and, is there a way of returning to the factory settings?

S4racen

2009-09-21 17:58:29

Hi There,

You've taken on an ambitious project....

My first thing to suggest is that you'll need to set up two presets and for this and to get the APC to work you'll need the 1.7 beta for which you'll need to purchase the full version, it's only with this version that you'll get the mulitple midi ins and outs that are needed to fool ableton in thinking the APC is still connected....

Having looked at what you want to do, i'd say that virtually everything is possible with a bit of effort (not helped by the clunkiness of the APC)....

I'm more than happy to help once you've got the pro version and can forward you a template that you might consider as a starting point. I imagine you'll be wanting to add a new scene to the APC for your navigation requirements.... I've done this with mine to give me a different set of midi messages from the clip launch buttons but it would be just as easy to turn these into keystrokes....

Cheers
D

roajah

2009-09-21 18:36:36

i am using windows vista, i don't see a beta version.
can i do a few things without purchasing the full version? i am out of money for a long period of time and i have a show coming in 2 weeks and i really need to get this thing going. [i've been using a m audio oxygen 49 with ableton so far for controlling my eq's and faders]

S4racen

2009-09-21 20:42:30

I don't know what the feature set will be for that mate, i know people have been unable to get my template going unless they are using the 1.7 version....

Good luck anyway!

Cheers
D

roajah

2009-09-22 09:43:34

i have the 1.7 trial version, should work

S4racen

2009-09-22 10:52:50

Then head over to thestudiosessions.co.uk and leave me a message so i can get you in the loop.....

Cheers
D

roajah

2009-09-22 12:37:39

i've left a comment, i couldn't find a message button

S4racen

2009-09-22 14:28:48

Needed an email address for you!

Cheers
D

roajah

2009-09-22 15:01:46