Learning BOMES with and APC40..?

JuanSOLO

2009-09-16 08:02:24

I recently bought an APC40, then I saw a couple of different videos using BOMES to get really cool functionality out the APC40.

So like many, I bought BOMES. However I am having a hard time getting started. Some of the guys posting video are selling presets now. I would buy a video tutorial on setting up Bomes with an APC40, but I just can't imagine buying somebodys presets when I set up Ableton so much differently.

So I need some guidence and hopfully I can find some here as well as the countless others who are looking, and have done exactly what I just described.

I want to start with something small, and then maybe move on from there.

How do I make the Bank Select on the APC40 scroll when pressed?

JuanSOLO

2009-09-16 19:50:59

Let me back up and start with something extra basic but super important.

In Live Preferences:
should I have the APC40 as the control surface, Midi Translator Input 1 as the INPUT and OUTPUT

Which boxes should i tick below that?

joesapo

2009-09-17 23:04:15

JuanSOLO wrote:Let me back up and start with something extra basic but super important.

In Live Preferences:
should I have the APC40 as the control surface, Midi Translator Input 1 as the INPUT and OUTPUT

Which boxes should i tick below that?
My experience with Live and custom MIDI mapping is that you should *stay away* from setting anything as a control surface in Live's preferences. When you select any control surface in Live, it will try to do all the MIDI mapping for your controller behind the scenes based on that controllers' default functionality. If you were just a regular user and wanted to use your APC40 "out of the box" then this would be what you would want.

But you're NOT a regular user! You are a BOMES user!!! ;)

I would suggest just turning on MIDI Remote (at very least MIDI IN for Live) for the MT Virtual MIDI port you are using and mapping everything in Live manually. If you have your proper MIDI input and output selected properly in Live (APC40 IN / MT Virtual Port #1 OUT) and you have a MIDI Thru connection in Bomes set up (see MIDI Router in the program settings) you should be able to MIDI map like crazy.

The nice thing about starting off this way (with MIDI thru, via the Router) is that you can just pretend Bomes MT isn't there until you need it! Just map your pots and faders like normal in Live until you come up with something cool that you want to do with MT, then just create a new translator and it will override the 'thru' connection...

Hope this helps! Let me know if there's anything else I can help with...

Joe

JuanSOLO

2009-09-17 23:18:10

I WILL TRY THAT!

Thanks!

Question???
So I discovered the Beta 1.7 for Mac OSX that has multiple inputs etc.

It's only for 5 days???

Still cant get some of the shared APC40 Templates to work.

I will try what you suggested and hopefully gain some ground

florian

2009-09-19 08:08:22

Hi Juan, we'll release a new beta version for OSX before the current one expires. Just check back on http://www.bome.com/midi/translator/osx_beta.html to see when we release beta 3.

Regards,
Florian

florian

2009-09-21 22:45:47

Hi,
We have just released beta 3:
http://www.bome.com/midi/translator/osx_beta.html

Regards,
Florian

JuanSOLO

2009-10-10 23:41:56

I am just at a loss with creating my own Bomes stuff. The APC40 templates from Darren C seem too complex to break down and understand something simple.

The Smart Mutes template dosent really work for me, HOWEVER thats what I would like to know how to do.

Make buttons Momentary on my APC40.

If someone could help me make one momentary button out of a "Stop Clip" button on the APC40 i'd be forever greatful.

S4racen

2009-10-11 14:26:25

You should be able to do this simply, as i understand it....?

What do you want your momentary button to do?

If it's to play a clip then all it needs is a note on message if it's to stop on release you can either map another midi note to stop and create a translator that translate the note off of the stop clip pad to the note on of the new message whilst swallowing the original, you might even be able to do it by turning the note off message into another note on message therefore with each press it should play on press and send another play message (meaning stop) on release....

I'm not in the studio today to check whether this works so give it a go and let me know, if not i'll have a look at it when i get a chance....

Cheers
D

JuanSOLO

2009-10-13 08:52:20

AWESOME, That WORKED!

I had 2 translators one for note on and one for note off, and I had the button mapped as note on in Ableton.

All I really needed in Bomes was the note off.

Yes very simple.

THANKS YO!

S4racen

2009-10-13 18:58:27

All i can say is... COOL!!

Cheers
D

Moosh

2009-10-16 23:21:54

Hi,

I am also New at this. Are there any templates available for download as a starting point?

My goals to to figure out how to have multiple pages set up and also to
make buttons that are on/off (both momentary and not) with lights as notification that it's on.

Any guidance on how to begin - ESP screengrabs or templates wouldbe great. I am on ableton 8.

Thank you.

S4racen

2009-10-17 10:53:40

Hi Moosh,

Send me your email address and we can make it happen, vimeo.com/studiosessions the third video is the best explanation of what i've done with bomes and describes what you want with regards to second scenes etc.

Cheers
D

Moosh

2009-10-18 04:12:15

Hi there

S4racen -- thanks for adding me to the list. I got the templates from you today and am playing around. It's pretty incredible...

What I am trying to do is to remap the Record arm buttons so that when I press it, Send A gets turned all the way up, while Send B gets turned all the way down, and the light stays on. Then when I press it again, Send B turns up, A turns down, light goes off.

This is all fine and good. No issues there.

Now what I want is if the button is toggled such that the light is on, it should always stay on regardless of my pressing a button on the next channel, etc. So basically what is happening is i can only have 1 record arm light on at 1 time... what i need is for the light to stay on until manually shut off, not to shut off if i press another record arm button.

hope this makes sense!

any help is appreciated!

Best,

Moosh

S4racen

2009-10-18 08:37:35

Hi Moosh,

Check your settings in preferences, you may have record solo in place meaning tha regardless of your mapping you won't be able to acheive what your trying....

That's if i understand you right?

Cheers
D

lukelat

2009-10-24 12:48:34

Hey all, this has been a really enlightening thread, thanks to everyone here for their awesome information....
So...as a total newbie, I'm still having problems with the correct routing to get bome working with Live 8.0.4 -I was firstly wondering if there is any issue with this particular version of Live?

Second I guess I'm trying to fully understand the routing options as I have tried so many different combinations with varying results....nothing has really worked out as I would like though.

---EDIT---
I found this post http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=118921
which has got the routing working really well but Bome still isnt' sending the messages correctly through to live so my mappings aren't working.
I noticed that one of the final posters was actually Darrne C who has since given some awesome demo's of his fully working setup and he does mention using Live 8.0.5 so I'm going to try that and hopefully everything will be peachy

Will post updates
Cheers

lukelat

2009-10-25 04:29:59

OK, so I've finally got everything working and there was something which I found wasn't super obvious that might help someone else

Make sure in Bome when you setup your translator that you have the incoming midi routed via the Specific Port of the APC 40...

Also - to override the knobs on the APC, in your Live Preferences you have to set the Input APC40 (From Bomes' Midi Translator) to have Remote ON

Hope that helps someone, this thread on the one over on Ableton
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=118921 has saved me soo much time (it has still taken me days but man is it worth it!)