Way to transform note on messages to 14bit cc message?

gabriels

2009-08-28 07:54:45

In Ableton, I'd like to control sample transpose (the control in the sample display window) with the note on messages from my midi keyboard. This doesn't work. When I try to map a range of notes to the (virtual) sample transpose knob in the sample window it only accepts the last note played.

As an alternate strategy, I tried using midiox to generate midi cc values. So, I might generate a cc value of 36 when I played C2, A cc value of 37 when I played C#2, etc. This served the purpose generally. The problem is that it produces a strange scale instead of a chromatic one when I play a series of consecutive notes. The result is a slightly compressed scale that ens up encompassing only 11 half steps if I play 12 consecutive notes
I think the solution would be to generatenthe correct 14bit cc values in response to note on messages but I can't figure out how to do it.
Can someone help?
Gabriel

joesapo

2009-08-28 19:23:24

gabriels wrote:In Ableton, I'd like to control sample transpose (the control in the sample display window) with the note on messages from my midi keyboard. This doesn't work. When I try to map a range of notes to the (virtual) sample transpose knob in the sample window it only accepts the last note played.

As an alternate strategy, I tried using midiox to generate midi cc values. So, I might generate a cc value of 36 when I played C2, A cc value of 37 when I played C#2, etc. This served the purpose generally. The problem is that it produces a strange scale instead of a chromatic one when I play a series of consecutive notes. The result is a slightly compressed scale that ens up encompassing only 11 half steps if I play 12 consecutive notes
I think the solution would be to generatenthe correct 14bit cc values in response to note on messages but I can't figure out how to do it.
Can someone help?
Gabriel
14 bit MIDI messages are simply doubled regular 7-bit messages. I'm not sure how the pairings go, but a quick google search should help you out. I have a MT template that controls Live's tempo as a 14 bit value, giving me *huge* precision over minute tempo changes. It looks like this;

Code: Select all

Translator 1: Tempo 1A
Options: stop=false
Incoming: MIDI BF 1A oo 
Rules: 
  ga=oo
  if gc==0 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
Outgoing: MIDI BF 1A oo 

Translator 2: Tempo 3A
Options: stop=false
Incoming: MIDI BF 3A oo 
Rules: 
  gb=oo
  if gc==0 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
Outgoing: MIDI BF 3A oo 
My controller (Novation Remote SL) supports transmitting 14 MIDI values natively, I just use Bomes MT as a way of doing tempo tricks, freezes and etc. The two translators above simply capture the dual 7-bit midi signals produced by my tempo encoder (BF 1A and BF 3A) and retransmit. The rules and global variables are related to other translators.

So you should just be able to find out what 14 bit values Live is expecting, set up your midi map to listen for 14 bit absolute values, and fine tune your transpose from there.

I know alot about Bomes + Live and I'd be happy to help more.

joe

gabriels

2009-08-28 21:29:58

Joe
it seems I've hit the jackpot! Thanks for the reply. Though my use case is different from yours, I'm really encouraged by your post. I'll be working on this over the weekend and will let you know what progress I'm making.
Gabriel

gabriels

2009-08-30 19:25:19

Joe,
it works! I mapped the note on messages to pitchbend messages (of course I had to determine the change in value necessary to produce a half step change in pitch when applied to the transpose function in the sample window). Thanks for the suggestion

Gabriel

joesapo

2009-08-31 18:18:52

gabriels wrote:Joe,
it works! I mapped the note on messages to pitchbend messages (of course I had to determine the change in value necessary to produce a half step change in pitch when applied to the transpose function in the sample window). Thanks for the suggestion

Gabriel
Great to hear you got it all worked out!

If you get a chance post up your translators so others can see your work... 14 bit MIDI handling is definitely something we want to get more documentation on...

gabriels

2009-09-06 22:40:00

Joe,
glad to do it. Maybe you can offer me a little help. My music computer isn't connected to the Internet. Easier to keep it running well. I do my posts through my iPhone. Do you know how I can load the code from my computer onto my iPhone easily?

joesapo

2009-09-08 23:17:10

gabriels wrote:Joe,
glad to do it. Maybe you can offer me a little help. My music computer isn't connected to the Internet. Easier to keep it running well. I do my posts through my iPhone. Do you know how I can load the code from my computer onto my iPhone easily?
I don't have an iPhone so I don't know how much help I can be...

I use Dropbox http://getdropbox.com for most of my file synchronization between PCs. I know that they have desktop clients for Mac/Win/Linux and also a new iPhone client. Without an internet connection on your music computer that is pretty much ruled out.

I would suggest putting your Bomes project file on a flash drive, transferring it to an internet-connected machine and uploading it from there...

Looking forward to seeing your code! 14bit MIDI translation isn't too hard once you get started with it...

joe