Passing only Velocity Not Note Name

Jim Fallgatter

2009-08-24 02:07:18

Help Please: Will this work to pass only velocity simultaneously with the keystroke H. My application will supply the midi note ?? thank you!

new translator 1 midi 80 4b pp midi 00 00 pp

new translator 2 midi 80 4b pp Keystoke: H

ruediger

2009-08-25 10:10:28

Hi,

don´t know what you want to do.

Both translators will work, but pass only velocity? Haven´t seen that.

What do you want to achieve?

Best regards,
Rüdi

Jim Fallgatter

2009-08-25 14:57:18

Hello Rudiger...thankyou

My company (Aqwertian.com) makes a software program that lets a person perform music on a qwerty keyboard. Based on my gui when a qwerty key is called for and struck it initiates the correct midi sound based on where the person is in the performance. Because of fingering collision considerations a particular qwerty key may actually play any midi note.

As of now sensing velocity on a qwerty is not possible (I am working on this). In order to capture velocity (test effect) I am mapping a midi keyboard to qwerty keys. However since a particular qwerty key press can be called on to sound any midi note...I just want the velocity from the midi keyboard to pass thru and sound whatever midi note is called for at that time by my software and have that note reflect the velocity from the midi keyboard even though the note most likely will be a different one.

Thanks again Rudiger...I hope this makes the objective clearer. Jim

ruediger

2009-08-25 15:35:38

Hi Jim,

makes it a little bit clearer.

What I don´t understand: What is your target application? One the one hand you want a Keystroke as outgoing on the other hand you want a Midi note as outgoing.

it seems inhomogen to me.

Regards,
Rüdi

Jim Fallgatter

2009-08-25 16:11:12

Hi Rudi,

Thanks for sticking with me on this! From the midi piano keyboard press I translate that directly to a qwerty key that is the same every time. However my application...in order to keep the players hands always on the same touch typing keys they know...translates that qwerty key into a midi note that may be different (most likely) from the piano key that was pressed. I want the velocity only from the piano keyboard to flow thru to the midi note that is called for by my software. All of which happens in milli seconds. Maybe it helps...to think of the qwerty keyboard being out of the loop totally but Bome mapping the midi piano to qwerty keys.

As futher explanation...the biggest reason that people have never been able to successfully make a qwerty keyboard into a performance keyboard is that when the pitch/notes are mapped directly to particular keys...the players hands end up going all over the qwerty keyboard to play a selection...this causes the fingers to get all twisted up and also to have to 'play' keys that aren't "memorized" . If the fingers have to hit keys/learn keys that aren't familiar....then the person might as well learn a midi keyboard. My software is for all the people that know how to touch type and want to play music fluidly on their qwerty keyboard.

Thanks again, Jim