Open Used Ports - opens ports that aren't used in my project

gabriels

2009-08-24 00:27:43

I've isolated this seeming bug to one translator in one of my presets and have fixed it by deleting the translator.

What was happening is this. I was having problems with midi feedback and was trying to resolve the problem by configuring the midi ports in MT. I unchecked all midi INS and outs and clicked "open used ports". The first thing I noticed was that there www entries near the top of the port list for "out to midi yoke: 1" and "out to midi yoke: 7". These were unchecked when I would open the midi port setup but clicking open used ports would activate them (they became checked). If I unchecked out MY1 I would get the message that there was midi feedback and that the port was being turned off. Unchecking didn't give such a message. Clicking open used ports again would turn the same ports on again. The ports I was actually using were correctly open at first and when I clicked open used ports after disabling all ports.
The midiyoke 1 problem may be explainable by my not fully understanding what MT is looking at when it decides a port is used. I'm using three controllers and ableton and midiox and midiyoke. Maybe I'm unaware of some ports function. But I never was using Midiyoke 7 in all the time I've been developing my MT program

and the fact remains that deleting the translator and creating an identical translator ti replace it fixed the problem.

What do you think might be going on?
Gabriel

florian

2009-09-07 23:05:36

Hi gabriels,

late reply... but still helpful, I hope.

"Open used Ports" will go through all project properties, preset properties, and MIDI IN/OUT actions to see which prts and aliases are selected in those properties and actions. All of them will then be opened. Any ports that aren't used in the project/preset/actions are closed. So that's just a shortcut... as long as the MIDI assignments in the properties and actions are set up carefully, "open used ports" will do what you need...

So I suspect that the translator that you deleted had such a MIDI port assignment (which you didn't notice), so that this port was opened and caused the MIDI feedback.

Regards,
Florian

gabriels

2009-12-28 00:10:46

Florian,
Yes, you're right...and the new save as text utility was very helpful in hunting down all the places where ports were used (without having to visit each preset and translator).
thanks,
Gabriel