choose program to output to and listen to MIDI timecode

Jaap

2009-08-13 18:42:33

If your computer is doing multiple tasks at once, you can't monitor or work with other programs while running a sequence since the keystroke emulation takes just every program in focus as a target. Right now i'm working on a surtitle system for an opera*, but I can't follow what's going on in each program since the emulations "take over".
Furthermore I tried to make MidiTranslator listen to the incoming MidiTimeCode but that didn't seem to work. More difficult input and output messages would come in handy...

* (incoming MidiTimeCode syncs Protools which plays Note commands that are MidiTranlatored into Powerpointslides, are you still with me? :) )

ruediger

2009-08-17 14:04:05

Hi Jaap,

that´s true, Midi Translator can only send Key Strokes to the Application that is in focus.

I don't understand your MidiTimeCode problem. What does that mean? Can you explain that mor ein detail?

Best regards,
Rüdi

Jaap

2009-08-18 11:54:31

Of course Rüdi.

My goal is to project a slide each time a new sentence is sung (just like on TV, but now with opera or any other theaterplay). My setup at this point is the orchestral tape on a Alesis HD24 multitrack harddiscrecorder. I can have this device outputting MIDI time code (MTC). The easiest way to go should be to hook this HD24 up to my computer and each time a certain MTC message is coming by (0xF7 etc.) MIDI translator outputs a specific keystroke emulation to go to a certain slide.
The problem is that it seems that MIDItranslator can only recognize quarterframe messages and not a full message. Quarterframes are not specific enough as you may understand.
Therefore I made a little fix-up, synchronizing my HD24 to Nuendo and let a MIDItrack inside Nuendo output NoteOn commands which then are translated in MIDItranslator.
That's where he other problem comes in, while Nuendo uses the same shortcutkeys as Powerpoint (most problematic: spacebar is "next slide"/"STOP" :roll:)and I want to monitor what both programs are doing (especially when "programming") but that isn't possible.

These are in short the challenges I have to face :wink:

ruediger

2009-08-19 13:45:26

Hmm,

never heard about Midi Time Code Messages. I will ask my partner for this and will be back later...

Best regards,
Rüdi

Jaap

2009-08-24 13:39:37

you can read more about MTC here:
http://home.roadrunner.com/~jgglatt/tech/mtc.htm

florian

2009-08-26 15:29:34

Hi Jaap,

interesting set up you got there!

Can you tell me exactly which messages are not recognized by Midi Translator? It should receive (and handle) all MIDI messages, including MTC messages.

Thanks,
Florian