MY APC40 Setup - Video Now Online!

S4racen

2009-08-02 21:37:43

Hi guys,

My set up is on a mac with a padkontrol (running farmpad) an APC40 and bomes and lucifer vst....

Anyone else got a similar set-up?

So far i've remapped all of the scene launch buttons to either glitch the audio (like steven vankoffs video) or whilst shift is pressed to choose the launch quantization and then visually display with a lit button what state it's in....

The track selection buttons light up in sequence and allow beat mashing as they allow you to jump (as long as the button is held down) to each individual beat in a 2 bar sequence....

I have all 8 tracks summed to either a A or B track which contains all of my effects and some loopers, when pressing shift and track select one it fires a looper to record then play a 1 bar loop, 2 = 2 bar, 3 = 4 bar and 4 halves the loop.....

To show that the loopers are in action i've used the clip grid buttons, when recording a beat the pad flashes red and when recorded it stays solid red, when the beat is playing the button changes to green, as such you see how long the looper has recorded (up to the first two rows) and where in the loop it's currently playing... When you halve the loop the clip grid changes to represent the new size of the loop being played until eventually you are down to one rapidly flashing green/red button.......

Because this colouring may stop you seeing which clip is actively being played i've programmed it so that the clip stop button lights up oif there is a clip playing in that channel, pressing stop obviously still stops the clip but when shift is held down at the same time it plays the clip last played from the beginning (this is very useful when your trying to play other clips that aren't included in the same red box!)

Activator switches are now hard mapped to select the first rack in each channel, I'm using a rack per track that includes Tarekiths 4 knob eq along the bottom (the allen and Heath emulating one) knobs and then on knob one i've got the twister filter, phaser on two, fade to redux on three and a gain with a compressor so that it doesn't get out of control on 4.....

When when shift is pressed with an activator switch it reverts the controls in that track's rack back to their original state, eg. at full for the eq'ing controls at half for the twister filter controls and at zero for the phaser, fade to redux and gain controls.... This means at the start of a set i can quickly reset all controls back to zero and when playing can bring the track that's been filtered and eqed out of a mix back in bang on a beat.....

solo cue switches do as advertised but with shift pressed they select the clip playing in the track rather than the clip that's highlighted..... I currently split all my tracks up into sections and pre-prepare my loops but i'm sure someone else who plays whole tracks would be able to use this function to implement some in clip looping functionality....

Finally the Track arm buttons are mapped to light up when the track is routed into A or unlit if going to B, i've got A and B mapped to the crossfader as well as i find it hard to give up my old habits! I'm probably going to add a shift function to these buttons to be a quick stab on a send that's got a ping pong and distorting effect rack in it to get some crashes going in sync with the audio......

I've not really touched the buttons on the right hand side of the APC yet (bar the shift button) so has anyone else got any ideas for what i might use these for?

I'll try and record a little video later to show what i mean but for now i'm really missing a tape stop effect that i want to map to the stop all clips button!! Mac anyone???

Cheers
D

EDIT: Video now online!

http://www.vimeo.com/5893737

ps feedback always helps!

mike912

2009-08-05 00:06:13

very nice video man, good setup.

S4racen

2009-08-05 11:47:29

Thanks man, just working on a second scene for the clip launch buttons. It'll send on / off note messages or three state midi toggling so that i can map the crossfader....

Cheers
D

S4racen

2009-08-14 21:26:29

Email sent to everyone that wanted it!

Cheers
D

joesapo

2009-08-16 22:00:57

Very cool! Thanks for posting your setup and video!

S4racen

2009-08-17 09:55:42

No worries, i've done a lot of taking of other peoples help so thought it best be time to give something back....

My preset's probably not the tidiest of beasts as there are only two preset's in it and i'm thinking i should have looked further into multiple presets that become active or disabled based on the always on preset....

Got about 500 translators going though and still no sign of latency or slow down!

Anyone know how i'd go about packaging it up with the Mac or Windows Runtime for 1.7? I'm still on the beta for the MAC (not one hitch yet!)

Cheers
D

S4racen

2009-08-18 15:11:53

New video up on www.vimeo.com/studiosessions that shows an additional scene added to the clip launch buttons.....

Guys i can't tell you how amazed i am at what bomes can do for the APC, who needs Max4Live? Everything i've thought of "can i do....?" the answer has been yes and it's yet to fall over once! (if only i could say the same for Live 8!!)

Cheers
D

Autogen

2009-08-19 02:26:26

Nice work yet again, is this included in the previous patch you sent out, or have you tweaked it a bit since then?

I can see what you mean about MT, and the myriad possibilities. I've spent a couple of hours trying to get a basic step sequencer going, and I've been amazed by what this software can apparently do (but unable to turn theory into practice beyond getting my visual metronome running :oops:).

I just need to get up to speed on how I go about programming rules and translators efficiently.

Good work on the hack btw, been having loads of fun with it since I got it up and running yesterday.

S4racen

2009-08-19 12:32:30

Wicked glad to hear you got it working, a few people have been trying it with older versions of Bomes so they have had to update....

And yeah the functionality is in the preset i sent out, i just couldn't do a video before i sent it as i couldn't speak due to the amount of stitches i had holding me together...... Shift and Track Launch 5.......

I've removed the mulitple loopers on my copy and moved the feedback down to the metronmoe pads so that they go in negative mode from usual when looping a bar, i've also created some more clips for the metronome so that i get feedback on which bar of 8 i'm on with a rapidly flashing track select button that corresponds to the number of the bar....

On reflection the DJM effects unit that gets controlled by the volume fader doesn't work as well in practise as it did in theory so i've utilised the knobs in the Send C to control the effect depth....

I'm probably not going to release any updates though as i'm sure people will be making their own hacks to the initial template and things'll start to get messy....

Cheers
D

florian

2009-09-07 22:10:29

S4racen, big kudos! I'll contact you personally for how you can get it into the official distribution.

Thanks,
Florian

florian

2009-09-07 23:29:54

S4racen, my email bounced. Can you use the contact form to send me your email address? THanks!
http://www.bome.com/contact.php

Regards,
Florian

RZN

2009-10-06 08:29:35

Super keen on checking out your bome preset?

I've just purchased bome and really need a guide on how to get started.

S4racen

2009-10-06 09:25:07

Hi There,

I need an email address to send it across to.....

Email me @ darrenecowley@thestudiosessions.co.uk and i'll get the links sent out to you for you to get started....

Cheers
D

pauk

2009-10-06 10:20:31

Hi Darren,
another new user here,
i would like to check your preset if its possible
just wrote you to the email but its returning a failure message :/

paucabruja (at) gmail.com

thanks a lot
pauk

RZN

2009-10-06 11:06:47

S4racen wrote:Hi There,

I need an email address to send it across to.....

Email me @ darrenecowley@thestudiosessions.co.uk and i'll get the links sent out to you for you to get started....

Cheers
D
hey mate, emails are bouncing..

if you can email me? jakereazn (at) gmail.com

thanks dude!

S4racen

2009-10-06 13:46:28

It's ok, they all got through, they have to be redirected and then filtered, i get too much junk mail you see..

Email has been sent to you, let us know how you get on!

Cheers
D

S4racen

2009-10-07 11:44:22

Hi All,

I've finished tidying up the preset that i used to create this set so thanks to everyone who donated and gave me feedback to motivate me carrying on with the template……

I’m just diving into Max4Live Beta testing and it’s blowing me away with what can be achieved and they haven’t even let us have a go at the APC object yet….. I can see it as finally turning LIVE into the got to DJ program it promised to be all those years ago….

As a result I’ve spent the last few days ironing out some bits on the APC40 template that I sent out…..

A number of you wanted the beatmashing functions but weren’t (understandably) willing to shell out on a VST that appears discontinued. As a result I’ve resurrected a modified version of BeatLookup (created by Chris List for Reaktor). My version has up to 8 beatjump points which are quantized on their triggering which makes the sound much cleaner, I’ve mapped 4 of these to the first 4 track select buttons as I found 8 was a bit overkill (although if you wanted to make use of all 8 just get in touch and I’ll talk you through adding the other clips needed).

For the second four (5-8) track select buttons I’ve created four separate midi tracks, unfold the Left Group and you’ll see them titled with the functions I’m using, how it works is on the press of the button it will launch the midi clip in slot two which has a message drawn within it to make Beatlookup act, on the note off or release of the pad it translates this in bomes to be a note on message that triggers the clip in the first slot that is designed to turn the effect off……

You’ll notice below I’ve added in three extra pairs that can be used to replace the choice of four that I’ve made….. 5 triggers an instant reverse, 6 pitches the sound down, 7 pitches the sound up whilst 8 is a turntable stop…..

I don’t know whether the .ens file for reactor will actually ship with the Ableton template so I’ll provide a link for the ensemble separately, you made need to go into the Beatlookup track and click the spanner to open the VST and then navigate to load the Studio 2009.ens file for which the link you’ll find below…..

To replace the stuttering function of Lucifer I’ve included a track called Stutters, this works by dummy clips controlling a bank of beatrepeats, there’s some translating that allows you to move between the stutters and let go of the scene launch buttons and not have the effect that’s currently playing stop, otherwise like the Beatlookup functionality these work on a gate basis so that the effect only plays when you hold down the Scene Launch button…..

I’ve then mapped in the pan banks knob 5 to emulate the Hyper effect of Lucifer (I think it’s a pretty good replica) knob 6 is a Gating function that’s synchronised with the stuttering to shorten the effect to s stabbing type sound, knob 7 is a standard pitch function so you can manually pitch the repeats down whilst knob 8 is the beatrepeats pitch decay knob…..

Knob 1 isn’t mapped to anything so suggestions welcome!!!

I’ve then added three tracks and grouped them entitled APC Sends….. Still haven’t spent much time on the racks or devices within these as the APC currently can’t navigate easily to these to change the effects, I’m thinking that the perennial favourite superluper 2 will end up in one of these with a set of ping pong type affairs in another with the third bank being a reverb type effect….. Again if you’ve got some favourites that you use send them back and I’ll add them in!!

I’ve left a set of clips in to muck about a bit with and as you can see a fair few Acapellas, I’m always on the lookout for new ones so if you feel like sharing let me know…..

To get the dummy clips (now on the right channel only) to play at dry simply press the stop all clips button!! I haven’t mapped the play of the dummy clips to anything but I was thinking to map the left bank button to play them and maybe the left bank button to play them but on a gating basis, it wouldn’t take much work but you’d lose the ability to move the red box in any direction but up and down…. I’ll do it for my setup but would it impact on the way you work???

So the final update is…. THE LOOPER!!

I got fed up with large sets crashing because it wouldn’t support four loopers! As a result I’ve removed all but one and added a midi loopback function that ties the metronome in with the record and play functions of the looper, this time shift and one is a one bar loop, shift and 2 = 2 bar loop and shift and 4 is a four bar,….. shift and track select 3 halves the loop and as before the lights on the clip launch buttons update to give a visual display of where you are in the loop…. As the loops get smaller I decided to expand the size of the visual feedback so that when the size of the loop goes below one bar you can still see where you are as each button becomes half a beat then a quarter and so on……

To get a copy of the Ableton Set, the Reaktor Ensemble and the Bomes Preset (you'll need version 1.7 to make it work and that's not the trial version!) simply leave me a comment on any of the posts at my blog thestudiosessions.co.uk

Anyways hope your all good and look forward to your feedback on this new set……..

Cheers
D

S4racen

2009-10-12 14:43:48

New video online at vimeo.com/studiosessions

By the feedback on email that i've been having i hope there's a fair few new members on the forum, hopefully reading in you guys will become active members in your decoding and improving of the templates i've sent out....

If you've got detailed queries (after you've got things set-up) i'd prefer to answer them here so that all can see rather than do it one to one over email!

Cheers
D

S4racen

2009-11-30 15:58:31

Hi All,

I hear there's a fair few more of us APC users on here these days, and anyone who's seen the the videos posted above or @ www.vimeo.com/studiosessions and was initially put off by the complexity will be pleased to know that I'll shortly have available a simplified version...

The key features remain:

1. Control of a single parameter across 8 tracks eg. filters being tweaked at the same time across various tracks..... press shift and the corresponding 1-8 button below the Device Control knobs to navigate to a rack that will display the values across all the tracks eg. shift plus 1 = filter, shift plus 5 = Bass...

2. Send banks work!! The default behaviour of the APC40 is to return the values to zero when you select the pan bank after tweaking the returns, the preset saves the last value and recalls them when you navigate back to them...

I've clearly labelled where the sends end up in the main set rather than a return track, fill these with your favourite racks or effects, as they sit in the main body of the set you can automate these with dummy clips and indeed navigate to them using the bank select buttons to control them using the APC's device control knobs...

3. Metronome behaviour of the stop clips buttons, you can choose the rate by which clip you play...

4. Stutter functions - The scene launch buttons and the bottom 4 knobs of the pan bank control a stutter rack that works on audio passing through the LEFT track (selectable by the record arm button on = pass audio through LEFT, otherwise off = pass audio through right)

5. On that note, there's two Audio Tracks that you can choose to send each track to, fill the LEFT or RIGHT track with any audio effects you want, the stop clip buttons are disabled so you can map these to turn any effects on or off or indeed fill the tracks with dummy clips?

6. Navigate to the clip focus of the clip actually playing rather than the one highlighted (shift and cue button)

7. Reset the values of the DJ Rack with pressing shift and track activator button, (the rack gives you a four band eq modelled on Allen and Heaths frequencies plus a one knob low pass / high pass filter both courtesy of Tarekith in addition theres a Fade to Redux and Gain, all of these can of course be replaced, if you need help with this my rates are very reasonable ha ha!!

8. Play the clip below with shift plus record and arm, saving a load of button pressses to navigate back to the clip playing and then launching it...

9. Press and hold the bank up and down select buttons and you get scrolling behaviour....

10. Finally Shift and the Scene Launch buttons will define the global quantize ranging from 1 bar at the top to none with the stop all clips button. Of course you'll get visual representation of the current state by which button is lit....

With this simplified version you'll be much more in control of making any modifications that suit your style of playing (deep house don't sound so hot with beat jumps!!) and make the most of the audio effects you currently favour.....

The template is maximised to work with Live 8.1 and Bomes 4th Beta 1.7... It was also written for MAC, for windows you'll have to change the keystroke outgoing functions for the quantization feature to work correctly.....

IF you'd like a copy of the template + preset then simply head over to my blog thestudiosessions.co.uk and leave me a message that includes your email address (it doesn't save it automatically so type it as you would to send yourself an email within the comment itself)....

There is no charge for having a copy (unless you feel like making a donation, many have and this is why it's been updated) and i'll try and help where i can with standard issues of set-up, either through facebook chat or i'm dying to test Skypes sharing desktop feature!

If you want to test it works for you then the Bomes trial is more than adequate to get things up and running before you'll be convinced to purchase the utility........

Cheers
D