Beta versions for Mac OS X

florian

2009-07-24 10:33:50

Hi,
this thread tracks news for Midi Translator Pro beta versions for OSX.

Download and more info here:
http://www.bome.com/products/miditransl ... s/beta-osx

Please discuss your experiences, good and bad, in this forum thread.

Thanks!
Florian and Ruedi

kvitamin

2009-07-24 17:24:57

oh, finally multiple midi inputs. can't wait to try this out.

heavyrocks

2009-09-19 16:48:02

When do you plan on having incoming keystrokes available on OSX?

florian

2009-09-21 22:44:32

Hi, we plan to add incoming keystrokes in beta 4 -- due in a couple of weeks. We have just released beta 3.
http://www.bome.com/midi/translator/osx_beta.html

Regards,
Florian

kvitamin

2009-10-26 19:13:23

Its working well for me so far. The only issues i'm having are cosmetic ones, like the highlight/selected color seems really light, and the way the column on the right scrolls is kind of annoying.

djenferno

2009-11-17 22:25:06

Beta 2 is expiring in 3 days, at least according to my version. I'm really counting on another Beta coming out to replace this. When will it be released? Thanks!

ruediger

2009-11-19 11:58:57

heavyrocks

2010-01-04 16:28:59

so does OSX Beta 5 have keystrokes as an incoming action?

ruediger

2010-01-07 10:22:41

Hey heavyrocks,

sorry, the beta5 has no keystrokes as incoming.

Regards,
Rüdi

meneldor

2010-02-26 18:41:27

I'm really jonesing for HID input here, is there something looking like a date somewhere, anything we can dare to hope for?

Jeremy Wyatt

2010-03-23 04:31:09

I'm really looking support for mouse outgoing on the next release (bummer on the keystrokes incoming). Is this in the works for the next beta? Also, any idea when that darn thing getting released?

rishi

2010-05-02 11:22:08

Been using it for a little while now. Took me a while to get my head around the router and mltiple ports but now I wouldn be without them.

I noticed that sometimes when I select a translator and use cmd-up or cmd-dn to move the preset moves instead of the translator.

*****>>>> can I create additional virtual ports ie bomes midi translator 2 virtual in/out in this beta or the the PC version?

florian

2010-05-10 14:33:43

Hi,

thanks for the comments! we have a prototype implementation for mouse out and keystroke input, but integration into MT will still take some time and testing.

We work very hard to improve Midi Translator, but we do not publish any release dates in advance. Version 1.7 will be in beta state until we are on par with the Windows version 1.7, which means, basically, keystroke input and mouse output are still missing for that.

Rishi:
  • Cmd-up/down should always move the currently focused item, i.e. when a preset is focused, cmd-up/down should move the preset. If a translator entry is focused, it should be moved. Doesn't it work like that?
  • yes, in the settings, you can add more virtual MIDI ports
Best,
Florian

rishi

2010-05-11 02:12:13

Hi Florian,

The problem occurs moving from the preset list to the translator list. Moving from Preset bank click once on a translator and it will display but you need to click twice to be able to arrow up and down. I keep moving presets when I want to be moving translators. Also, the same thing happens in reverse, but I find the you cant arrow up and down the preset list. It moves once and then gets stuck? Minor thing I know :-)

Found the additional ports - under the MIDI menu - Virtual MIDI Ports!!

So, I take it Create Alias is just a way to rename an existing port. It creates a new entry rather than renames one? Also, how can you delete an Alias?

carrosytrenes

2010-05-29 01:15:51

the beta has been great for me... there's really only minor things i've found, mostly to do with the GUI.

i've been using it on the road, with pretty great success... my setup (midi to key press, for ableton) leaves a little to be desired but on the whole it is great, i love having midi -> key macros.

my main concern is the "this is a beta version and will expire in xx days"... what happens then? i need to reinstall it? it stops working completely until the next beta comes out?

kind of concerned, the MT beta has been so useful it's a big part of my set, so if it disables and stops working after XX days, i won't be able to play with my current setup. can someone clarify this message for me?

seems like even though it's beta it should run indefinitely if i bought a software license. thanks!

rishi

2010-06-04 07:32:54

Is it possible to change the order of rules like you can change the order of presets?

Is it possible to copy and paste rules to other translators?

If so... how?

If not... feature request?

florian

2010-06-07 11:09:04

rishi wrote:The problem occurs moving from the preset list to the translator list.
we'll look into the moving translators/presets problem.
rishi wrote:So, I take it Create Alias is just a way to rename an existing port. It creates a new entry rather than renames one? Also, how can you delete an Alias?
Not quite, an alias is sort of a shallow duplicate of a MIDI port, but that duplicate has a different name. It's sort of a "shortcut" or "link" in a file system. You can create multiple aliases of the same port. For more complex multi-MIDI setups, we recommend to exclusively use MIDI aliases in the project (e.g. in project and/or preset properties) so that it'll be easier to use the project on a different computer where the actual MIDI device names can be different.
carrosytrenes wrote:my main concern is the "this is a beta version and will expire in xx days"... what happens then?
We provide a new beta (or the final version) before expiry. Please check back as the expiry date nears to download the new version.
carrosytrenes wrote:seems like even though it's beta it should run indefinitely if i bought a software license.
Yes, I can understand this feeling. However, from our side it's different: beta versions are incomplete, and do not represent the state of our software that we want people to regularly use. That's why all our beta versions eventually expire in order to force users to update to the final versions (once it's out).
Technically, you only purchase final versions from us. We make public beta versions available to you as a convenience to check out new features and bug fixes before final release.
rishi wrote:Is it possible to change the order of rules like you can change the order of presets?
Yes, there are small up/down buttons in the rules editor.
rishi wrote:Is it possible to copy and paste rules to other translators?
In the Windows version you can do that already, we plan that feature for the OSX 1.7 release (and in the next beta).

Florian

rishi

2010-06-07 11:56:33

rishi wrote:Is it possible to change the order of rules like you can change the order of presets?
Yes, there are small up/down buttons in the rules editor.
Oh no .... cant believe I have been using it all this time without knowing that! Cant tell you how many times I have deleted lists of rules so I can get them in the right order!!

rishi

2010-06-11 09:32:30

Not sure if others are having this experience but I find that the MIDI Rescan Devices doesnt ever work for me. If I unplug a device and replug I have to close MT and reopen to get it connected again.

Is there anything I might be doing wrong here or is this common?

carrosytrenes

2010-06-11 18:54:30

that's a strange one. i found in the middle of a set the other night it stopped recognizing one of my controllers, but i rescanned and it saved the day. or at least my set.

rishi

2010-06-16 07:22:17

Any news on Beta 7? My wifes going away for the weekend with my daughter so I want to geek out on Bomes stuff but I think my Beta 6 is going to expire ..... eeek!

Urth

2010-06-17 00:48:37

Current beta version expires in a few hours - getting pretty nervous here as I am completely dependent on the software... don't need any improved functionality/new beta version.... just need the time limit extended so I can continue to use it.

carrosytrenes

2010-06-17 01:17:58

yeah i hear that... i know it's silly to use beta software live, but it's got all the functionality i need. hopefully it will still function for my show tomorrow ;)

florian

2010-06-17 16:16:41

Hi, beta 7 is out!

Sorry about the "just" timing.

Keystroke Incoming did not make it into this beta, will come in the next beta (hopefully out soon!).

Thanks,
Florian

Urth

2010-06-17 16:25:45

Thanks!

carrosytrenes

2010-06-17 18:28:17

photo finish! thanks!

klausgesing

2010-06-17 20:20:46

Hi

today the time limit of my beta version expired.
I tried to install a new download, but it keeps saying that the beta test phase of this version is over, and wouldn't open the program.

What can I do to quickly get the version 1.7.0 for MacOS installed again?

thanks
best
Klaus

klausgesing

2010-06-17 20:30:47

klausgesing wrote:Hi

today the time limit of my beta version expired.
I tried to install a new download, but it keeps saying that the beta test phase of this version is over, and wouldn't open the program.

What can I do to quickly get the version 1.7.0 for MacOS installed again?

thanks
best
Klaus
sorry, now it works, no worries
thanks,
klaus

rishi

2010-06-17 23:38:24

Woohoo!

florian

2010-12-09 14:48:51

Hi, we're still "struggling" with v 1.7 for OS X, we hope to release the next beta soon.

But meanwhile we've released an intermediate final version:
1.6.2 is released. It has the full feature set of 1.7 beta 8, plus a number of bug fixes and other enhancements.

You can download the trial version here:
http://www.bome.com/products/miditransl ... erview/osx

License owners will be notified by email in the next hours.

Regards,
Florian

badibeat

2010-12-11 11:05:15

Thank you, the new version is highly appreciated, especially as it won't expire.

From the e-mail it was not clear to me that 1.6.2 for Mac OS X is a "higher" version than 1.7 beta 8, because it only compares to the PC version.
Please don't presume Mac users are interested in PC versions.

(I still have a dedicated Windows music workstation and Windows installed on all my Macs but can't be bothered to use Windows for music making again...)

florian

2010-12-13 12:51:48

Hi badibeat,

thanks, I understand the confusion! Actually, we do presume that Mac users are interested in having a version that is on par with the Windows version. And we are very interested in having the same version numbers on Mac and PC for the same feature sets.

Thanks,
FLorian

shabby

2010-12-19 19:22:02

the newly installed version you jsut posted, makes me lose my virtua lports.. well the still show and thy send, but the actual triggered events wont happen...

jaredf

2011-03-01 03:17:21

I was under the impression that the latest version of MT would have HID capabilities. It's the only reason I bought the software. Im trying to send MIDI data off of my NI S4 and X1 but not go into midi mode. Does anyone know a HID to midi converter out there for OS X??!?!?!?!

sleepytom

2011-04-28 00:16:13

florian

2011-07-01 01:11:21

hi, I've just posted a new beta: 1.6.3 beta 1

Some people won't believe it: there is actually Keystroke Input support! Works on Leopard and later.

It also fixes some problems with virtual ports that people experienced.

Let me know how this beta works.

Thanks!
Florian

stew

2011-09-10 04:32:02

Not sure if you want this posted here or not (please move as needed).

Trying out keystroke emulation in the new beta, I can't seem to send DELETE?

I'm trying to translate ` (~/` key on a mac, under the esc key) to DELETE for use in Ableton. I can map ` to other key commands without a problem, including ctrl+Z and ctrl+X which kind of do what I want (delete the active clip) but I would prefer to use DELETE.

Is this a known issue?

One other question, when will they additions in 1.6.3 Beta 1 be made available to the full version? I note the Beta says it times out in 17 days.

stew

2011-09-10 05:40:02

:D I figured it out ...

On my Macbook to get DELETE I need to hold down the function key and then delete. The DELETE key on a mac is actually like the Backspace key on a PC, whereas Fn+Delete works like DELETE on a PC.

florian

2011-09-14 21:24:49

great to hear! so I take it that Keystroke input works...
We've had enough positive feedback of this beta version, so we're ready to release 1.6.3 final soon.

Regards,
Florian

stew

2011-09-15 12:16:44

yep ... seems to be working ok here.

looking forward to the release :D

stew

2011-09-27 10:05:50

So the Beta's timed out ...

Currently twiddling my thumbs waiting to use the translator preset I've been playing with for the last couple of weeks. Don't really understand what the point of a time limited Beta version is :roll:

stew

2011-09-28 00:24:27

Just got the email ... 1.6.3 for OSX has been released. Thanks Florian!

Sorry for being impatient :wink:

florian

2011-11-30 00:11:12

hi,
version 1.7.2 beta has been released:
http://www.bome.com/products/miditransl ... loads/beta

Florian