Translator midi control hex help

electropiano

2009-07-24 00:18:47

Hi,

We are trying to determine how to use various translators to modify the control change number of one of our continuous controller pedals. We are having difficulties figuring out our incoming and outgoing messages in Hex.

We want to use one pedal (currently incoming as control change 5) to transmit different control change messages when we switch to different translators. In other words, in one preset we want to have a translator which changes the data from controller 5 to controller 15 and in another preset we want to program a translator to change data from controller 5 to controller 16. We then want to control which preset is active via a midi command.

We're using Live 8 as our main app.
Thanks

joesapo

2009-07-24 01:39:06

electropiano wrote:Hi,

We are trying to determine how to use various translators to modify the control change number of one of our continuous controller pedals. We are having difficulties figuring out our incoming and outgoing messages in Hex.

We want to use one pedal (currently incoming as control change 5) to transmit different control change messages when we switch to different translators. In other words, in one preset we want to have a translator which changes the data from controller 5 to controller 15 and in another preset we want to program a translator to change data from controller 5 to controller 16. We then want to control which preset is active via a midi command.

We're using Live 8 as our main app.
Thanks
Hi electricpiano! Welcome to the forum.

You're going to need three separate presets to accomplish what you want.

The first two presets are relatively simple. What you'll need to do is capture the MIDI information sent by your pedal, and replace the 'B0 05 oo' in the first two presets' Incoming action to match. It should be similar to what I've got below (B0 is Midi channel #1, 05 is controller #5, and oo indicates the variable value of the pedal from 0-127).

The outgoing actions for the two presets are already set to retransmit the 'oo' value to the different controller numbers (0F = #15 for the first, 10 = #16 for the second).

Code: Select all

--------------- Preset Translate_to_15
Translator 1: Translate_to_15
Options: stop=false
Incoming: MIDI B0 05 oo 
Outgoing: MIDI B0 0F oo 

--------------- Preset Translate_to_16
Translator 1: Translate_to_16
Incoming: MIDI B0 05 oo 
Outgoing: MIDI B0 10 oo 
Now you just need a way to switch between the two presets. The code below takes in a keystroke value of either 1 or 2 to switch between the two presets. You can change this to a midi value easily and have them change on a button or note press using the same capture method that you used prior.

--------------- Preset [always active]
Translator 1: Switch_to_15
Incoming: Keystroke: 1
Outgoing: activate only preset "Translate_to_15"

Translator 2: Switch_to_16
Incoming: Keystroke: 2
Outgoing: activate only preset "Translate_to_16"
That's it! Also, remember to make the third preset 'always active' by right clicking it and selecting 'properties'.

Also, if you're looking for a good reference for midi hex information, you can look here for a good writeup; http://www.io.com/~jimm/midi_ref.html

I hope I answered your question. Let me know if you need any extra help! :D

electropiano

2009-07-24 19:46:44

Thanks for your help. The control change translation is now working correctly.

I do not see an option for "activate only preset" on our Mac version of Bome. Is it possible that this is only an option on the PC version? Or am I just overlooking something?

What I have done instead of "activate only preset" is created a preset to change to "translate to 15" and another to "translate to 16". Then I created two more presets, "deactivate 15" and "deactivate 16" (The incoming MIDI message is the same for "translate to 15" and "deactivate 16") The problem with this method is that it requires me to hit my controller twice to switch between presets, once to activate the new one and once to deactivate the old one. Can you suggest a better way? Hopefully I have just overlooked the "activate only preset" option!

Thanks.

joesapo

2009-07-25 01:53:16

electropiano wrote:Thanks for your help. The control change translation is now working correctly.

I do not see an option for "activate only preset" on our Mac version of Bome. Is it possible that this is only an option on the PC version? Or am I just overlooking something?

What I have done instead of "activate only preset" is created a preset to change to "translate to 15" and another to "translate to 16". Then I created two more presets, "deactivate 15" and "deactivate 16" (The incoming MIDI message is the same for "translate to 15" and "deactivate 16") The problem with this method is that it requires me to hit my controller twice to switch between presets, once to activate the new one and once to deactivate the old one. Can you suggest a better way? Hopefully I have just overlooked the "activate only preset" option!

Thanks.
I would suggest taking a look at your outgoing action options and seeing if "Activate by Name" is listed. That's the option you want.

Could you also tell me what version you are using? I'm guessing that you're on 1.6 if you're using a mac client.

electropiano

2009-07-27 23:33:01

First off thanks again for developing such a great application, it has been a big help for us thus far. We are using the Mac 1.6.1 version.

Yes we are using the "Activate by Name" option. The only drawback is that we have to have a separate translator "Deactivate by name" which deactivates our current preset as we switch to the next one. For example, when we want to change from controlling CC 15 to controlling CC 16 we need to deactivate our CC 15 translator at the same time we are activating the CC 16 translator. If we didn't disable CC 15 when activating CC 16 we would be sending messages to both, and we just want to send a message to one or the other.

We are also wondering if we can design a translator which can activate multiple presets at once. Can we have an outgoing parameter send multiple preset changes? This could also be a solution to our question above... if we could design a translator that both activated a preset and deactivated a preset.

Thanks

florian

2009-07-31 14:55:25

currently, one translator cannot trigger multiple outgoing actions. BUT you can create multiple translator entries (e.g. using the duplicate function) and leave the incoming action the same, just use multiple outgoing actions.

It's not optimized, but it'll work. We plan multiple outgoing actions for version 2.0

Regards,
Florian

PS: there is a bug in version 1.6.1/OSX regarding "only activate preset XYZ". In particular, the "ignore for Next Previous Preset Switching" check box is missing the project properties. Check out the beta 1.7.0 where these issues should be fixed.

electropiano

2009-07-31 19:37:04

Thanks Florian... yes we have been doing what you suggested above.

Is there a way to reorder presets and/or translators?

joesapo

2009-07-31 20:05:40

electropiano wrote:Thanks Florian... yes we have been doing what you suggested above.

Is there a way to reorder presets and/or translators?
Ctrl + Up/Down will let you move a selected preset or translator.

Were you able to get your preset switching sorted? Another way to keep track of which preset is active would be to use global variables. Please let us know if you need any more help! :D