projectmixI/O and MT in ableton live8 question ?!?

hgt55

2009-06-30 15:01:36

hi there,
i was wondering if can use this app to solve some issues on my maudio projectmixI/O.
1. i am using the 'solo' and 'rec' buttons of the projectmixI/O to open/close the track's coresponding send1 and send2 knobs in ableton lives session view. this works perfect for the first 8 tracks. but as the projectmixI/O sends the same note events when i switch to track 9-16 the solo button will toggle two sends(e.g. track 1 and 9, 2 and 10 etc.). i think this is a mackie/hui protocol issue. will the bome midi translator be a solution here?
2. is the bome midi translator capable of midi to keystroke? i want to toggle the show/hide plugin window keystroke(alt+cmd+p) for ableton live with a button on the projectmixI/O?
cheers,
george
:mrgreen: [/b]

florian

2009-06-30 20:10:15

Hi George,

yes, Midi Translator (MT) can do both what you want to do. MIDI to keystroke is straight forward, just create a translator

INCOMING: MIDI <the message you want to map>
OUTGOING: Keystroke Sequence ALT+CMD+P [or whatever you like]

A different mapping for channels 1-8 vs 9-16 is possible, too, but requires some more setup in MT. There are different ways of doing it in MT, each having advantages and disadvantages. The simplest is to do it like this (schematic):

A) create 2 presets:
1) "switcher"
2) "9-16 mode"

B) the first preset has 2 translators:
1) on MIDI message for activating channels 9-16, activate preset "9-16 mode"
2) on MIDI message for activating channels 1-8, deactivate preset "9-16 mode"

C) the second preset has the MIDI-to-MIDI mappings only needed for 9-16 mode

You will also need the typical MIDI chain setup, as explained in many other forum posts or the MT manual:

device -> MT -> Live
i.e.
MT: MIDI IN [x] M-Audio
MT: MIDI OUT: [x] MT 1 Virtual Out
Live: MIDI IN: [x] From MT 1

I don't know the exact mappings that you'll need to apply in the second preset. Also, if switching from 9-16 to 1-8 is a toggle button, you'll need to adapt the logic in the first preset.

Hope that helps nonetheless... post here with your findings!

Regards,
Florian

hgt55

2009-07-01 18:48:35

o.k. that sounds not very easy but i will try it when i am back from vacation in 2 weeks. thanx and i might come back for more detailed help on that matter as it is my last problem of finding the perfect setup. 8) cheers, george