cant get midi to pass out the translator to midi out in 1.7?

stoecklem

2009-06-27 21:53:59

Hello

I haven't used BMT much since 1.7 came out but now would like to get rolling again on some things I need for my setup. I thought everything was working when I briefly tested it before, but now I can't get any midi to translate to the midi out ports.

It comes into the midi in and the router works.

I just wanted to see if there was a setting i might be missing or something needs to be done first(there used to be a midi thru option in the menus if I remember correctly) before I reinstall, hopefully I have it and my registration code around here somewhere.

Thank You for the help

florian

2009-06-29 17:24:47

Hi,

since MIDI has become more powerful, there are a few pitfalls in the new version. Also, a simple "MIDI Thru" option would be useless for most users, because you generally don't want a MIDI Thru from all INput ports to all Output ports. That's why there is the new MIDI Router, which lets you define MIDI Thru connections on your own.

What exactly is not working? Can you post your bmtp file, or send it to me by PM?

Thanks,
Florian

stoecklem

2009-06-29 20:45:41

thanks... I understand that the midi router creates thru connections, but do they bypass the translators?

I will try again when I get home and post the file if necessary. after I set my project default midi in and out ports, I assumed that midi would pass thru. I can't get any midi to translate at all.... i can capture it when I create a new translator but the translating light doesn't come on nor does the midi out light.

I have only been able to pass midi directly to the router out, which I assumed did bypass all translators.

stoecklem

2009-06-29 23:53:27

okay. i was a little confused but everything is good now. I didn't realize I needed to create new translators to allow midi to pass thru,which i don't mind. Very nice how everything is setup. thanks for such an awesome tool.

bagginz

2009-08-28 18:56:18

I also confused about MT.

It's clearly an incredibly powerful tool, but I'm thwarted from accessing that power by a lack of information on background concepts, the basic input and output flow, as well as a glossary with precise definitions of terms such as "alias, project, translator" etc.

The fact that in windows, ports show up named as the generic "USB Audio Device" exacerbates the problem no end.

A manual that starts from the beginning and explains the midi signal flow step by step preferably with diagrams would go a long way to making MT far more accessible to normal human beings :) rather than programming types...

Probably result in a lot more sales also...

Cheers,
bagginz

florian

2009-09-07 23:17:51

Hi bagginz,

yes, we hear you and we're working on a new version of the manual, with some pages dedicated to MIDI data flow and terms.

Also check out this topic (I think you've been there already):
http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2566

Regards,
Florian