Will Midi Translator Do THIS?? Help please!

kryptonite

2009-06-20 13:22:35

Hi there! I have been trying to find a software program to solve my problem and Midi Translator is coming highly recommended. Before I purchase the program, I want to make sure it will do something. Forgive my ignorance, but I am very new to Midi.

Controller = Pioneer DJM-800 mixer
Software = Serato Scratch Live

My issue is that the Pioneer mixer does not come with software to change any of the midi messages that it outputs. I use "cue points" in Serato frequently. I should be able to able to hit a button once (the "1" button for instance) and it goes to that cue point immediately - on my laptop keyboard, of course this works easily. I want to use my Pioneer to control this - here is where the problem occurs and what I need your help with.

I can map my Pioneer Mixer to the cue points in Serato. Currently, however, the lowest preset number of "steps" on the mixer is 2. That is, I have to hit the button once to go to the cue point, once to turn it off, once again to go to the cue point, once to turn it off, etc, etc (on/off/on/off). I need to be able to hit the once once and it go to the cue point, once and it go to the cue point, once and it go to the cue point, etc (on/on/on/on).

This seems very simple in my mind, but no one on the Pioneer or Serato forums seem to be able to help me! I just need to know:

1. Can I use Midi Translator to manipluate each midi message from a two step button so that it goes to the cue point every time?
2. If so, can you give me a very brief example of how to do it?

Thank you very much for your help. I PROMISE that if this software can do this for me, I will be buying it TODAY!!

:D

beatniks3

2009-06-20 17:14:37

it sounds like it is a matter of going from a toggle style button to a momentary style button which is very possible in bomes. I'm using it currently to do the opposite.

if you do a forum search for toggle or momentary you see some solutions.

I know nothing about the mid on the DJM800 but it must be pretty basic if you can't even change buttons from toggle to momentary.

kryptonite

2009-06-20 17:25:02

beatniks3 wrote:it sounds like it is a matter of going from a toggle style button to a momentary style button which is very possible in bomes. I'm using it currently to do the opposite.

if you do a forum search for toggle or momentary you see some solutions.

I know nothing about the mid on the DJM800 but it must be pretty basic if you can't even change buttons from toggle to momentary.
It is VERY basic. You can't change the buttons to do anything. Thank you very much, I will do the search and let everyone know the result!

mike912

2009-06-22 15:45:37

this is a sure thing, I am doing this right now, how to program it depends on whether its sending midi cc# data or note on/off data, which does it use?

kryptonite

2009-06-22 19:54:24

mike912 wrote:this is a sure thing, I am doing this right now, how to program it depends on whether its sending midi cc# data or note on/off data, which does it use?
I believe that it is using midi cc# data right now. I actually was trying this with another midi program that will go un-named and that is what it seemed to be using. I am sorry if this is incorrect, but I am not nearly as educated as I should be on the subject.

I have attached an image that might help you:

I am trying to use the buttons labeled as "FS1, FS2, FS3, FS4 (all fader start buttons" for my cue points. You can see that they are the lowest number of steps (2). They are at the bottom left of the document.

Thank you in advance for your help!

mike912

2009-06-24 09:12:53

this is actually very easy, here's what to do.

step 1

find out if your software responds to the min or maximum value, ie-does 127 make the cue point work or does 0 - most likely it is 127 that activates the control and 0 does nothing.

step 2

create a basic translator that says this for the FS1 button

midi in B0 B8 00

midi out B0 B8 7F

this will tell midi translator to send out the max whenever the min comes in.

kryptonite

2009-06-25 01:28:06

mike912 wrote:this is actually very easy, here's what to do.

step 1

find out if your software responds to the min or maximum value, ie-does 127 make the cue point work or does 0 - most likely it is 127 that activates the control and 0 does nothing.

step 2

midi in B0 B8 00

midi out B0 B8 7F

Thank you Mike, I will try that and let you know the results!

One question though, where does the B8 come from in the formula you have given me? I'm sure this is easy, I just want to understand!

kryptonite

2009-06-25 02:40:12

Argh, I am trying it and it doesn't work for some reason. This is just so frustrating :cry:

beatniks3

2009-06-25 06:44:15

kryptonite wrote:
mike912 wrote:this is actually very easy, here's what to do.

step 1

step 2

midi in B0 B8 00

midi out B0 B8 7F

Thank you Mike, I will try that and let you know the results!

One question though, where does the B8 come from in the formula you have given me? I'm sure this is easy, I just want to understand!

i think he meant 58 instead of b8. good luck. post what u have done so far.

mike912

2009-06-25 10:14:38

yes, I meant 58, sorry, was looking at a tiny laptop screen when I posted, sorry.

kryptonite

2009-06-25 12:51:45

Guys I will post it up later - I'm sure I am just missing an easy step somewhere!

kryptonite

2009-06-26 01:45:44

Okay, just to be clear, here is my setup:

Pioneer DJM-800 -> MidiSport 2x2 -> Laptop w/ Serato

I input the variables the way you described (I think). Here is what it looks like:

Unfortunately it is still doing the same thing. When you hit a "cue point" button in Serato (1 - 5 for left deck and 6 - 9 on right deck) it is supposed to instantly go to that location in the track. If the song is playing, it is supposed to keep playing. What I am experiencing now is that I hit the button once and it goes to the cue point. Hit it a second time, and it doesn't go. Hit it a third and it goes, etc, etc.

Would it be easier for me to map the buttons on the 800 to correspond with numbers on my keyboard (i.e. the 1 - 5 and 6 - 9 I described above)? I still don't think this would solve my problem.

Thanks for all your time!

florian

2009-06-29 16:43:15

have you had a look at Midi Translator's log? very often it's useful to find out what's happening ...and what's not happening...

Florian

kryptonite

2009-06-30 03:16:01

florian wrote:have you had a look at Midi Translator's log? very often it's useful to find out what's happening ...and what's not happening...

Florian
I have not, but I will give that a shot and report back! Thank you for suggesting that.