Key Stroke Emulation problem

DeRoc

2009-06-20 03:50:55

I just noticed that keystrokes aren't delivered to a secondary dialog box that opens after an Outgoing "Execute File" is run. It works fine if the launched program is started entirely with keystrokes, though.

For example, using only keystroke emulation, I open an envelope.doc mailer in MS Word using a text list of names and Word always opens a dialog box to ask if this is the correct list to use (don't ask why - my list is probably not exactly the correct format), and a second confirmation box after that.

I'm able to handle it with two keystrokes (a "Y"and "Enter") after a 3-second timer delay.

Now, trying to use the new "Execute File" function in Outgoing, those two keystrokes are not sent to the dialog popup boxes at all (I manually press "Y" and "Enter" to clear them) but are now sent to the document page itself. I think Word is remembering the keystrokes and inserts them.

Is this just the way it is when using Execute File? I hope I'm being clear on this.

tnx :)

florian

2009-06-22 11:55:12

I guess that's a problem of activation: keystrokes are sent to which ever window is active. Sometimes, dialog boxes aren't properly activated, especially if non-modal (i.e. you can still use the main window although the dialog box is open -- most "find" dialogs are non-modal). In that case, sometimes a double "Alt-Tab" helps (i.e. switch to another app with Alt-Tab, and then switch back with Alt-Tab).

What we really need in MT is a function to directly activate a given window. It's on the feature request list and it will come eventually...

Thanks,
Florian

DeRoc

2009-06-22 17:03:31

Hey thanks florian - the Alt-Tab trick works! :o

BUT ONLY if I start the executable and include a value also in the Parameter box, e.g. "winword.exe" and "e:\office\employee.doc".

It does NOT work if I use the associated extension ("e:\office\employee.doc") as the executable itself. The Alt-Tab doesn't seem to complete the cycle.

But this is good to get to this point. Thanks for your help!

florian

2009-06-24 15:42:30

good to hear! I don't know why it wouldn't work with calling the document directly...
Florian

DeRoc

2009-06-24 15:52:53

Calling a document directly usually works fine but in this case it's probably the SQL routine that Word starts up that is throwing it off the track.... maybe something like that....