Ctrl, Shift, Alt are not responding.

DG

2009-05-27 13:48:57

Hello,

This seems like a really good bit of kit!

I tried it out in one studio and it worked perfectly.

So I then tried it out in another and found that I can't get any key modifiers (ctrl,shift,alt) to work, which is a bit of a pain as that was the only reason I wanted to buy this in the first place!!

I've tried with Classic, and the trial version of Pro, but I don't want to buy it until I know that it works.

The only difference between the two studios is that the first runs XP (and the MT worked here), the second runs XP64 (the MT didn't work here).

If there is anyone here who can help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

DG

DG

2009-05-29 10:32:37

Bump. Nobody? So far this software is filed under "good idea, doesn't work". :>(

DG

florian

2009-06-01 12:17:50

Hi DG,

sorry for the late reply!

Thanks for the bug report. We'll check out this issue on Vista 64 and let you know. Technically, we don't support XP64...

Regards,
Florian

DG

2009-06-01 12:48:18

Thanks, look forward to your conclusions.

DG

DG

2009-06-08 10:01:37

Bump...............................

DG

DG

2009-06-15 10:06:25

Weekly bump. :cry:

DG

florian

2009-06-18 10:53:59

Hi DG,

thanks for hanging in there. I've finally tested on Vista 64 bit, and it works fine with Shift, Ctrl, and Alt. There is a slight possibility that it's due to Windows XP/64, but not very probable...

So what now? Do you have a way to test on a different computer? Maybe your preset is not correctly set up? Could you copy and paste it here? What is the Midi Translator log saying?

Thanks,
Florian

DG

2009-06-18 18:19:17

OK, I've tested it in Nuendo and Sibelius.

I set up a new translator to convert MIDI message 90 3C 00 (Note off C4) to outgoing key press Ctrl/Alt/Shift/S

On XP32 it works in both programs.

On XP64 it only works in Sibelius, so there is something's causing it not to work in Nuendo. Only the S is recognised (and very occasionally Shift), as it solos any track that is selected. At this point I have no idea where to start looking.

DG

florian

2009-06-18 23:46:36

that's weird indeed. it might mean that Nuendo somehow processes keystrokes differently as on Windows/32, or that Microsoft has modified the way, how Nuendo accesses the keyboard for 64-bit.
Note: there is standard Window messages, but also a thing called DirectInput (mostly created for games) that applications can use to access the keyboard.

maybe ask on a Nuendo forum?

Best,
Florian

DG

2009-06-29 14:13:21

Right,

I've asked on the Nuendo forum (HERE), and a few other people have confirmed that it happens on their machines, and that the problem is not reacting fast enough to fast key sequences.

I was also told that one person inserts a delay in-between all the commands so that Nuendo can recognise all the keystrokes.

I tried experimenting with this, and couldn't get it to work. I'm still on the demo version of MT Pro, as obviously I am waiting until I can get it to work, before buying.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can get the desired result (below) on receiving a MIDI message.
Ctrl (pause) Shift (pause) Alt (pause) S (All keys off)
Thanks

DG

florian

2009-06-29 18:15:56

Hi DG,

unfortunately, MT does not (yet) have an option to send delayed keystrokes. But you can use the timer, to manually delay keystrokes:

Here's the scheme how it will work:

Code: Select all

Translator 1: start timer
Incoming: <MIDI trigger message>
Rules:
 g0=0
Outgoing: Start timer "delay keys", 7 repetitions, 0ms initial delay, 100ms repeat delay

Translator 2: step 1: Ctrl
Incoming: Timer "delay keys"
Rules:
 g0=g0+1
 if g0!=1 then exit rules, skip outgoing action
Outgoing: key down "Ctrl"

Translator 3: step 2: Shift down
Rules:
 if g0!=2 then exit rules, skip outgoing action
Outgoing: key down "Shift"

Translator 4: step 3: Alt down
Rules:
 if g0!=3 then exit rules, skip outgoing action
Outgoing: key down "Alt"

Translator 5: step 4: key S
Rules:
 if g0!=4 then exit rules, skip outgoing action
Outgoing: keystroke/sequence "S"

Translator 6: step 5: Alt up
Rules:
 if g0!=5 then exit rules, skip outgoing action
Outgoing: key up "Alt"

Translator 7: step 6: Shift up
Rules:
 if g0!=6 then exit rules, skip outgoing action
Outgoing: key up "Shift"

Translator 8: step 7: Ctrl up
Rules:
 if g0!=7 then exit rules, skip outgoing action
Outgoing: key up "Ctrl"
The 100ms repeat delay is just an arbitrary number, you should try with lower values to make it faster, or higher values to increase the delay in between key presses.

Florian