Tempo handling with Ableton Live + MPD24

jsalmont

2009-04-25 11:56:27

I just spent the last 4 hours reading up on the forums and I'm about to lose it and join a Luddite monastery.

I have:
Ableton Live 7
MPD24 firmware 1.10
Both Bomes trials (will buy whichever I need for this)
Midi Yoke
I use all this for DJing.

I want to do something seemingly simple: setup controls for managing BPM so that I can mix into a song another DJ is playing (without clock sync).

In Ableton, and on the mpd I want to be able to TAP the bpm to a track another DJ is playing to set an approximate bmp, then tweak with either bpm (coarse) or bpm (fine) xxx.xx. And also be able to nudge.

Issue1:
When I TAP something in, then touch the bmp (coarse) knob, the value introduced reacts like a fixed knob, making an abrupt jump to whatever the bmp was before I tapped. I tried changing to the various absolute/relative knob settings in the status bar in ableton but it seems none of these work. I read that the MPD24s knobs are actually not incremental, which doesn't make any sense to me, but then that's what Bomes is for potentially.

Issue2:
Specifically for fine tuning after tapping, the bpm (fine) knob is essential. At the moment, it seems to behave like a fixed knob. After I tap and a bmp appears in live, if I then choose to adjust the bpm with the fine knob it only allows for and increase in bpm (as if it were set to 0 of 0-127). And I don't think I can set the mpd24 to start in the middle ie 64.

Issue3
Nudge doesn't seem to work. I need to have a note on, note off message set to two transport keys on the mpd24. Oddly enough, at some point I was seeing this, multiple midi messages coming from the mpd24 when I capture midi in bomes MT classic. When I chose one of the messages with "pp" (I think) I was able to hit a transport key to PLAY (start play) and as long as I held it it played. On release it would stop. I imagine this would work for nudge. For some reason it is now a single midi note-on message only. No idea why. Therefore since nudge only works when you hold down a button for a specified time and release, I can't use that either.

So at this point managing bpm is very unintuitive. Since I'm going for a mouseless setup, I'm off to a really bad start.

I'm not sure the MPD24 can be used for mouseless operation in live anymore. But maybe with Bomes it can. I have a handful of friends with the same prob. No one knows what to do.

Any help much appreciated. I realize this is a lot to ask. If you tell me which application I need to pull something off that works well I can buy it before you advise me on how to program all of this in.

Quick overview:
I want to setup:
knob for coarse bmp adjustment +1/-1
knob for fine bmp adjustment +1/-1
transport button "<<" for nudge down note-on/note-off
transport button ">>" for nudge up note-on/note-off

Tags:
endless limitless knobs knob encoders encoder pot pots ableton live 7 mpd24 +1 -1 increment incremental automap automapper macro

ps: I have found a parameter change for the transport which changes from MMC to CTRL on the mpd edit screen.

florian

2009-05-22 09:07:34

Hi jsalmont,

sorry for the late reply. I hope you haven't joined the monastery yet! Have you come any further with your setup?

Issue 1: (need soft takeover for bmp knob)
You should check if Live can report back via MIDI the current tempo. Then it would be easy to store that in a variable in MT Pro and use it to implement soft takeover for the bmp knob. If Live cannot do that, it'll be difficult to deduct the current tempo from tapping... but it's not impossible.

Issue 2: (fine tempo resets coarse tempo)
probably you'll need to send not only fine but also coarse tempo at once. For that, a variable in MT Pro can remember the current coarse tempo. When you change the fine tempo, it prepends the remembered coarse tempo.

Issue 3: "nudge"
I'll need to see which exact MIDI message Live expects, and which message is sent by the MPD24 when you press/release the << or >> buttons.

In general, please send more info: which MIDI messages appear in MIDI capture if you rotate the tempo buttons to left and to right (will that change if turned faster?) are they endless encoders or knobs with a fixed range?

What are the MIDI messages for Live to set fine/coarse tempo?

Thanks,
Florian