"Soft Takeover" in Bomes

DvlsAdvct

2009-04-21 21:00:28

Hi Guys

So Traktor has a function called soft takeover. For those that don't know, the basic idea is that by using Modifiers I can set the same knob (CC/channel number) to control separate functions independently. So, for example, I set one knob to control the Bass of Deck A and Deck C. When I activate it to control Deck A I set it to 70%. Then I activate it to control Deck C and turn it back to 20%. When I reset it to activate Deck A it isn't lined up anymore, obviously. The knob will be at 20% and Deck A will be at 70%. Soft Takeover forces Deck A's Bass to not move until the knob lines up with it. So, No matter what I do on my controller, Deck A's bass will not increase or decrease until I turn the knob to 70%.

I want to know how to do this in Bomes through preset switches. The incoming message will be the same, but the outgoing message to Traktor will be different. I figure if I output on global variables there has to be a way to have it work this way.

Traktor will only allow the soft takeover function to work if the incoming message is the same for both knobs (So I'd have to use Traktor's Modifiers, which I don't want to do) and since I'm using preset switches in Bomes so the knobs send on different MIDI channels, this is not possible.

I hope this makes sense (I know I have a tendency to make absolutely no sense on this forum).

ruediger

2009-04-24 16:20:17

Hi,

Don´t know exactly what you mean with this traktor thing.
Traktor will only allow the soft takeover function to work if the incoming message is the same for both knobs (So I'd have to use Traktor's Modifiers, which I don't want to do) and since I'm using preset switches in Bomes so the knobs send on different MIDI channels, this is not possible.
I don´t understand this. Do you want to send the same outgoing message or not?

Please try to describe that more exactly.

Cheers,
Rüdi

DvlsAdvct

2009-04-24 16:34:10

I don't want the knobs to send the same message on different presets, which is why Soft Takeover won't work in Traktor.

It will only activate soft takeover if the messages are the same. But that would require me to use modifiers, and I really don't want to. So I was hoping there was a way to have Bome replicate this procedure over different presets.

DvlsAdvct

2009-04-30 21:32:45

I tried a few other things and they didn't work. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. Right now I have a kill switch, but I'd rather not use it.

ruediger

2009-05-07 14:19:46

Hi,

I am sorry that nobody can help you. And I don´t understand what you want to do.

Is it a feature in Traktor PRO?

Cheers,
Rüdi

DvlsAdvct

2009-05-07 17:02:35

Meh, it's alright. Not exactly the simplest of things.

I'll try to explain it a different way.

I have one knob. It sends two different messages, depending on presets selected.

So, for example, this one knob controls two different parameters in Traktor. We'll say the Bass knob of Deck A and the Bass knob of Deck B
90 30 pp on preset A (Deck A)
and
91 30 pp on preset B (Deck B)

Now, when switching between presets the values will not remain the same. So, as an example, when I am on preset A pp is at 64. So the finishing value will be

90 30 64

When I switch to Deck B, I increase the value to 80. So now the value of the knob is
91 30 80.

When I switch BACK to Deck A the knob on my controller is at value 80, but the knob in the software is at 64. I want to decrease the value to 40 so the value will be

90 30 40.

When I move the knob, however, it will jump the value to 80 and then decrease. I want to prevent this from happening. So, the knob IN TRAKTOR will not move until the knob on my controller is at 64.

And then it won't move in Preset B until it is back at 80.

Does that make more sense?

ruediger

2009-05-08 09:39:26

AHHHH! No I know what you mean!

You need global variables and rules for that.

Something like this (not tested, no knobs here at the moment):

# Set 2 global vars to -1 to know that you start

Code: Select all

Translator 1: set globals
Options: stop=false
Incoming: on activation of this preset
Rules: 
  g0=-1
  g1=-1
Outgoing: (none)

# Now it´s a little bit tricky. Save the actual pp in a global variable if you start (g0=-1) . If yo, you execute the outgoing action. If next time the pp > g0 +1 then you have changed preset. Then you make qq "relative" to g0.

Code: Select all

Translator 1: Deck A Bass
Options: stop=false
Incoming: MIDI B0 17 pp 
Rules: 
  if g0==-1 then qq=pp
  if g0==-1 then g0=pp
  if pp==qq then exit rules, execute Outgoing Action
  rr=pp+1
  if g0>rr then qq=pp+1
  if g0>rr then g0=g0+1
  if g0==rr then exit rules, execute Outgoing Action
  rr=pp-1
  if g0<rr then qq=pp-1
  if g0<rr then g0=g0-1
Outgoing: MIDI B0 17 qq 
Do you know what I mean?

Best regards,
Rüdi

DvlsAdvct

2009-05-08 21:58:57

So I'm assuming, then, that g1 would be for the bass of Deck B, right? I'm at work and won't have access to my VCI until Sunday at the earliest, so I'll run through this and give it a shot. Think this could stretch across three different presets? (two decks and an effect bank?)

beatniks3

2009-06-11 18:26:47

im starting a new project with this sort of soft takeover in mind, did that ever work out?

DvlsAdvct

2009-06-12 18:13:02

I'm actually going to be testing it this weekend.

I'll put up a response once I know :)

DvlsAdvct

2009-06-13 02:26:37

Yeah, I gave this a shot but it didn't do anything. the problem is that there's no message to tell it to NOT transmit the outgoing message.

And when I tried playing with it all that happened was it would transmit only half of the messages, as opposed to all :(

beatniks3

2009-06-13 03:02:33

i think you need to use the rule "exit rules, skip Outgoing Action" ??

DvlsAdvct

2009-06-15 02:32:09

I tried that and it didn't come up...

florian

2009-06-18 14:44:31

hey guys, I've shown a way for soft takeover in a different thread:
http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=5847

Regards,
Florian