Are these Translator stragegies correct?

gabriels

2009-04-21 00:26:01

I’m just learning to use rules in Translator Pro, and hope someone can lend a hand. Are these observations correct?
1) If Translator 1 creates an Outgoing midi message using a global variable (for example BO 4C ga). It seems I can’t use this message as input to a subsequent translator, but can only send the midi message to the output Midi port. So, global variables are not transmitted between translators by embedding them in midi messages, they are just stored somewhere, and then retrieved and analyzed by other translators. And Outgoing message are not available for other translators to evaluate or modify?
2) Say I set a global variable to either 0 or 127 in Translator 1. Now, in subsequent translators I want the following to happen:
- If the global variable is 0 then:
- execute Translator 2
- execute Translator 3
- execute Translator 4

- If the global variable is 127 the:
-execute Translator 5
-execute Translator 6
-execute Translator 7

Since I can only execute a single action with a translator, it seems that I have to use rules in Translators 2,3, and 4, and in Translators 5,6,and 7 to determine whether or not to execute (depending on the global variable value.

What I’d really like to do is to set a branch-point, and depending one single evaluation of the variable value, steer the program to execute all translators in one branche or the other.
3) I think I found a way to do the above with preset changes (with the option of disabling other presets clicked “on”). Is that the "correct" way to achieve this goal? Can somebody give me an example of the most efficient way to do this type of branching?
Thanks
Gabriel

ruediger

2009-04-21 13:34:27

Hi gabriels,

1) is correct. But you can use a timer with delay 0 for that, set global variabels with the outgoing midi messages and start the timer. There you can work with the global variables.

2) That´s correct to. When you want to use only Midi Out, then you can append Midi Messages.

90 10 01 90 11 01 ...

Then you only need one translator.

3) You can solve this with Preset change, yes.

The incoming trigger for all is then: On activation on this preset. Don´t forget to deactivate preset in the last translator again!

Hope that helps
Rüdi

gabriels

2009-04-21 21:47:36

Rudi,
First...how did you get the umlaut to display in your name?

OK...
I understand much of what you said, but could you clarify ...

1) Do you mean that if I set a timer with delay 0, then put the global variable into the Outgoing midi message (as in BO 4C ga), that I can somehow read the midi message into subsequent translators? Somehow, I don't think that's what you're implying, but I don't fully understand what you're saying. Maybe you could give an example (with explanation) so that I do understand.

2. That's nice!!! So I can cut down on the number of translators. Is it also possible, somehow, to mix keystrokes and midi messages and mouse movements etc in the same translator? I could try this later tonight, but thought you might save me the trouble of some confusion if this isn't true.

3. Do you mean that the trigger for the whole branch of translators I want to execute would be the trigger that activates one preset or the other? The way I did this, I think, was to have each preset deactivate all presets if executed, and then to set all other presets be always on, so they don't get deactivated by the "branching" presets. Is that the right approach?
Thanks...and yes...your reply did help.
Gabriel

ruediger

2009-04-24 16:32:41

Hi garbiels,

german keyboard :) üöä, haha.

1) yes, timer as outoing message. You have to start a timer there. The global vars are system wide, so you don´t have to put them in the outgoing message.

2) mixing is not possible.

3) I meant that you have to deactivate the preset in which you are. That in next translating the translators are trigered agian via "on preset activated"

Cheers,
Rüdi