How to select a range of clips in ableton using Translator

gabriels

2009-03-29 03:34:34

Hi,
I believe my question may already have been answered in a previous post on this forum, but I didn't really understand the answer.

In Ableton, I want to be able to select all clips in order to make adjustments to some parameters in all of them at the same time.

I can do this in two ways:
1)Click and drag with the mouse over the clips displayed on the screen. They are selected in this way, and I can then change the settings I'm interested in.
or
2. Click on the clip at the lower left of the screen, then Shift-click on the clip at the upper right of the screen. This selects all samples in between.

Since I use a midi control surface to play Ableton, I don't have a mouse or a keyboard available...just lots of pots and buttons on the controller.

I've tried to use Bomes Classic in this way:
- Train Ableton (using map mode) so that when Bomes sends a keystroke (for example "x") Ableton selects the lower left clip, and when Bomes sends an "s" Ableton selects the upper right clip.
- Create a Bomes translator that sends "x Shift s".

This doesn't work. It seems that the Shift isn't latched on because I end up with the upper right clip is selected but not the entire range of clips.

Is there some way to latch the Shift sent by Bomes, so that it is still recognized as being pressed when Ableton receives the final "s"?

If Classic can't do this, would I be able to do it using Pro, and using the mouse function to send absolute x,y (lower left corner of screen), then click, then absolute x,y (upper right corner of screen). Would this be the equivalent of dragging over the range of clips?
Thanks,
Gabriel

gabriels

2009-03-29 07:03:24

OK...I downloaded Bomes Pro Trial and it seems to do the trick quite nicely. I still need help in one aspect....see the end of this post, please.

Here's how I achieved my goal (almost)

I use a pot output as incoming midi message in this way:

-Input to Bomes is from a midi controller pot
-Output from Bomes is sent to Ableton

Pot Value 0 --- Absolute x,y (moves cursor to lower left clip)
Pot Value 1 --- Left Button press
Pot Value 2 --- Shift (Down)
Pot Value 3 --- Absolute x,y (moves cursor to upper right clip)
Pot Value 4 --- Left Button press

This selects all my clips. Now I continue to rotate the pot values 5 through 9 send messages to Ableton which set the "transpose" value of all selected clips to 0. The only way I've figured out to zero the "transpose" value is kind of round-about. I map a midi controller to the transpose control, then send it midi controller messages which force it to maximum value, then another midi message that sets it to -1, and finally a message that increments to value 0. Weird, but it's the only way I could conjure up!

The problem is that when I rotate the pot back through values 9 through 5 so that, after playing for a while and changing several transpose values, I can zero them out again, when desired, Bomes executes the actions associated with pot values 5 through 9 again, but in reverse order. This screws up the "transpose" value of the clips

So is there a way to temporarily stop processing input from my potentiometer, and then to start processing again, just by monitoring the output of the pot? Or maybe delays could be used so that Bomes doesn't see the pot inputs for long enough for me to turn the pot back to 0?
Gabriel

gabriels

2009-03-29 07:10:37

I'm sorry for submitting anyone to the stupid thinking in regard to setting the transpose value in Ableton to 0. I am able to do it by simply sending absolute value of 63 to the virtual transpose pot. So using Bome's Pro to select all clips does the trick, and then I simply send an additional value 63 to the mapped pot, and all is well.
I wish I could erase my previous (and embarrasing) post.
Gabriel

florian

2009-03-31 22:15:33

Hi Gabriels,

nothing's embarrassing here! In fact, I find it remarkable that you found the solution yourself. MIDI isn't trivial... even if it seems to be so at first!

Regards,
Florian

gabriels

2009-04-04 18:00:44

Thanks for your kind words Florian.
The solution to my problem was both more complex and, in the final analysis, simpler than I had first determined.
- Ultimately, I found out about the "hot keys" in Ableton, which allowed me to use Bomes keystroke outputs to select all clips by outputting Ctrl A ...Ah...how simple!

- Since I had mapped a rotary encoder to the "transpose" parameter, it was true that I needed to do a rather elaborate dance to reset its value to 0. Ableton was expecting increment and decrement messages in order to change the transpose value, so I could not simply send an absolute value. However - using mouse click over the virtual transpose pot in Ableton, and then simply outputting a "Delete" did the job of resetting the transpose values to 0.

Now I've used similar Bomes-enabled strategies to set and reset loop length and position, and several other Ableton parameters. And this by merely scratching the surface of Bomes.

I wish I had discovered Bomes earlier. I wouldn't have had to concoct such twisted and elaborate schemes to achieve my musical goals.
Thanks,
Gabriel