Ableton - Knobs

Lowfront

2009-02-24 07:03:14

Just wondering what would be the easiest way to swap through effects during a live set.

My axiom 49 only has 8 knobs that I would essentially on the fly be able to choose what effect to control.

I'm thinking like I would like to hit one of my keys on the keyboard and have the knobs control this effect. Then quickly hit another key to have the knobs control another effect. etc.

thanks so much guy.

florian

2009-03-04 17:38:52

Hi lowfront,

this is no problem with Midi Translator! There are many different ways to do this.

With MT's classic edition, you can only do this by putting the rules for the different knob sets in different presets, i.e. one preset per knob. Then you'd need to use one or more dedicated MIDI keys or buttons to switch the preset using the outgoing action "Preset Change".

With MT Pro, there are several other options available:
1) use keystroke as incoming action to switch presets
2) instead of using different presets for different knob sets, you can just create one preset for the knob preset and control the values they send with Rules (e.g. set up one global variable as offset for all knob CC's).

Hope that makes sense!
Florian

Lowfront

2009-03-04 19:15:58

With MT Pro, there are several other options available:
1) use keystroke as incoming action to switch presets
2) instead of using different presets for different knob sets, you can just create one preset for the knob preset and control the values they send with Rules (e.g. set up one global variable as offset for all knob CC's).

Could you elaborate pretty please? Or point me in the right direction to figuring out what your talking about?

I want to be able to hit a key on the keyboard and have my knobs be controlling say the equalizer for my 2 channels.

And then hit another key on the keyboard and now they are controlling something else.

I have figured it out using the axiom keyboard and hitting different channels but I don't like it because its not quite that on the fly. It takes a second to load each time I want to make the switch. And I really just want to be able to customize everything on this keyboard.

Thanks so much!

florian

2009-03-04 21:19:27

1) you can define specific keys on the keyboard (e.g. the keys 0-9 on the right numeric keypad) for selecting different presets. Each preset has a different mapping for your eight knobs

2) additionally or alternatively, you can use MT's power feature "Rules" (i.e. use mathematical statements) to use just one preset, but calculate the mappings depending on the current state. This is easy if you want e.g.
knob set 1: CC0-CC7
knob set 2: CC8-CC15
...etc.
Then a global variable "ga" would be the offset: it would have the value 0 for set 1, the value 8 for set 2, etc. In MT, you'd configure the output to be:
knob 1: CC ga
knob 2: CC ga+1
knob 3: CC ga+2

Hope that makes more sense now!
Florian

florian

2009-03-04 21:30:32

btw, preset switching takes not time at all...