New user - midi ableton live looping setup?

wisemonkey

2009-02-06 05:14:25

Hi,

I'm hoping you can help me. I'm new to MT - I'd like to use a single midi input event (eg. a hit on an electronic drum pad) to simultaneously start recording a midi loop in ableton live, which ends after say 2 bars, and then continues to loop while I play other parts.

I have gotten part of the way there, but now I'm stuck.

In midi translator (I have the mac beta), I created a new translator. MT captured the midi input note, and I made the output a key combination that should fire off the keystrokes that I've assigned in Live.

First problem:
I can see midi input, but no midi output. The output is set to virtual midi output. I can bring the input up in Live, but nothing seems to be transmitted.

Second problem:
How do make the recording loop in Live turn off at a set time - say, after two bars, when it stops recording and just continues to play.

Thanks for your help.

Maddcow

2009-02-06 11:10:40

wisemonkey wrote:First problem:
I can see midi input, but no midi output. The output is set to virtual midi output. I can bring the input up in Live, but nothing seems to be transmitted.
Why would there be MIDI output from BMT if the output is a keystroke emulation, not MIDI data? So long as Live is the front-most application, the keystroke output from BMT should activate your Live shortcut keys with no problems. You don't need to configure Live to accept MIDI input from BMT for keystrokes only.

wisemonkey

2009-02-06 11:43:52

Hi Maddcow - I take your point. To clarify, Live wasn't responding to keystrokes either.

Maddcow

2009-02-06 23:35:01

wisemonkey wrote:To clarify, Live wasn't responding to keystrokes either.
Ok, then that's pretty weird. Is there any chance that your keystrokes are the same as Live's default shortcut keys, and thus cancelling each other? I'm having no problems whatsoever with using BMT, Live and custom keystrokes, so I'm a bit puzzled as to what's not working for you.

Perhaps you could copy/paste your BMT rules (inc. keystrokes for Live) so that we can take a look at what you're trying to do?

Maddcow

2009-02-07 01:15:13

Just thought of something.....have you tried to manually execute your keystrokes in Live to ensure that they actually work? I assume so, but it doesn't hurt to ask. When I was setting up BMT and Live, I was having problems with getting some keystrokes to work and it took me about an hour of frustration to figure out that I'd deleted a track and forgotten to configure keystrokes for the new track. :oops: No wonder that BMT's keystrokes weren't working!

genetic

2009-02-10 10:02:14

Hi,
I am seeking the same solution: to trigger ableton live with a single foot pedal.
I spent valuable hours on this, with various people: and it doesn't work yet!
BMTeers please bring up your lights, many users are willing to use this setup:

- a mac on osx
- ableton live
- BMTP for X
- 1 trigger: pad/pedal

I left the live template and the .bmtp online so you can have a look at it:
http://www.amplestudio.com/xf1/ll/1pedal-looping/

Please help

g.

florian

2009-02-18 19:01:31

Hey guys,

it should really work... some things to consider:

- if you want the MIDI data be passed thru to Ableton Live, enable "MIDI THRU" in the options/settings. That way, all MIDI INPUT will be passed on to MIDI OUT.
- only the currently active application receives the keystrokes generated by MT
- some keystroke combinations currently don't work with MT. Maybe start with single keys (e.g. just "1") and verify in a text editor that it is working. Then try with Live...

Hope that helps!
Florian