Endless Rotary questions

DvlsAdvct

2009-01-13 22:42:37

Hi guys. I'm working with a Remote 25SL and Traktor Pro.

I want to use the 8 rotary knobs at the top of the Remote to control my EQ. I am going to assign two knobs per deck to control the 4 bands (one knob for Low and Mid-Low and one knob for Mid-HIgh and High Under preset called EQ Smart). This I have figured out and it works. I then have two Presets (EQ Low Dumb and EQ High Dumb) where, as shift keys, each knob controls either Low and Mid-Low or Mid-High and High individually. This works as well.

Now, right now while in the Smart preset I have the one rotary sending out one message, controlling two knobs in Traktor at different sensitivities so the MId-Low moves slower than the Low. I tried to have it send out two different messages (CC 17 and 18, for example) with a pp/2 message so that the MId-Low would move half as slow. This did not work. In Traktor it read the messages all over the place for CC18, whereas 17 worked fine.

So, this is what I want to do and don't know how.

I want to have the Mid-Low stop when the Low is at a certain point while on EQ Smart preset and not start again until the Low reaches that point going back up. To do this I need to reconcile how to get Traktor to recognize the second message (CC18) coming from the one knob as some sort of controller that works. How can I do this with rules? As an alternative, I was thinking about having the Low Kill go off once the Low reached a certain frequency. I'm sure this would be possible while not using endless rotaries (and a lot easier) but this is how I'd like to get it set, if it's at all possible.

So yeah, I hope this makes some sort of sense. Any help would be really, really appreciated.

Thanks
Jared

(As an edit, now that I've typed this out, should the rule for the second command be pp==pp/2 or pp==x/2? Something to make CC18 respond half as fast as CC17? This I can do in Traktor, but I may want to use something like this in the future anyway, so it doesn't hurt to learn)

DvlsAdvct

2009-01-14 21:35:05

Alright, so I kinda found a work around, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for.

I removed the rules I had cause that was making things not work (though, I'm almost definite they were wrong).

I have 8 knobs, broken into 4 sections, and the 8 corresponding buttons.

Each deck has four band EQ, and two knobs to control it. There are three presets per deck (EQ Smart / EQ Low Dumb / EQ High Dumb). Each deck has two buttons (one above each EQ knob) to change what the knobs control (Low and Mid-Low ; High and Mid-High for the dumb presets).

While in the Smart presets I want the Mid-Low and the High to move slower than the Low and the Mid-High respectively. I am doing this by changing the sensitivity in Traktor. The problem with this is when I switch to the Dumb presets those two knobs still move slower than the other, but I want them to move the same speed.

So I need a rule on the translators while in the Smart presets so the knobs move slower (I just wouldn't add this rule to the Dumb presets, and set the sensitivities the same in Traktor). How would I do this?

Thanks

ruediger

2009-01-19 16:11:50

Hi,

sorry for the late reply.

I don´t know exactly what you are doing, but it seems that you have not used global variables, or have you? With global variables (e.g. ga - gz, g0 - g9 and so on) you can save states.

You want to stop Mid-Low when the Low is at a certain point. So save the current position in a global variable and check this variable in the Translator where you trigger the Mid-Low.

Does this help?

Best regards,
Rüdi

DvlsAdvct

2009-01-23 01:26:09

A little. I haven't used global variables yet.

Still mapping out the presets before I get to the variable changes. But this is where I get lost. Not sure how to set the global variables to do this.

ruediger

2009-01-28 11:31:47

Hi,

I don´t exactly understand what you want to do. Dou you want to controll the two equalizer knobs in traktor (mid, low) with one knob on your keyboard? When the knob is at a specific position, you want to switch it to control from mid to low knobs in traktor?

We should try to solve a specific problem. If you try to explain me what different presets should do... that´s hard to understand. Small steps please.

Many thanks
Rüdi

DvlsAdvct

2009-02-05 04:42:18

Fair enough.

I have two endless rotaries. each rotary is supposed to control 2 EQ knobs in Traktor (Low/Mid-Low and Mid-High/High).

First thing, I when I turn the rotary I want the second EQ band (Mid-Low and High respectively) to turn half as slow.

Right now they are assigned in traktor as Rotary 3Fh;41h. In Traktor this forces them the second band to instantly jump back to -100% while the first band works correctly.

This make sense so far? I'm really bad at explaining this stuff.

DvlsAdvct

2009-02-06 20:47:07

Actually, thanks to Bento I got this working, and figured out the stop messages.

Thanks for the offer of help, though, ruediger.

I'm getting better at understanding how this stuff works, so I'll be better at phrasing my questions in the future :mrgreen: