Can MT Pro Be Used Inside a "Black Box" Translator

pragmatico

2009-01-13 06:29:05

I'm having trouble digging out what I need to know from the information posted on your website. I'm thinking of trying out MT Pro, but I don't want to spin my wheels. Please let me tell you what I'm trying to do and I think you'll be able to tell me immediately if I'm in the right neighborhood.

I currently play a midi accordion directly into a midi module (Ketron SD2). What I want to do is insert a laptop computer between the accordion and the SD2, using a USB midi interface dongle, so that I can modify the native midi event stream in real time before it gets to the sound module. I'm thinking that I can translate events on the laptop to my heart's content using MT Pro. Am I on the right track?

I might add that my confusion comes from the notion that MT Pro will work with keyboard (or other hardware) input, but then the documentation keeps talking about computer applications and never seems to get around to the function of getting messages back out of the computer. Maybe that's generally understood, but not by me! <G>

Help?

Don

ruediger

2009-01-13 23:27:10

Hi Don,

I think you are on the right way. Midi Translator is exactly what you need!

We can either output Midi messages to applications via virtual ports OR we can output Midi messages to real Midi devices.

The easiest was is to check if your Midi device is detected by Midi Translator is to plugin all devices that you want to talk to. In your example the accordion and the Ketron SP2. If MT detects this devices as MIDI devices you can translate as you want.

Hope this helps,
RĂ¼di

pragmatico

2009-01-14 00:05:51

Great, Rudi, that's an easy way to confirm things without going crazy. Thanks.

Don