Help Newb working on first translator and stuck already

nunrgguy

2009-01-10 19:16:33

Hi
I've searched on this but haven't been able to find an answer.
I'm trying to create a couple of translators.
Translator 1 is to give MIDI control over the Cue/Solo button in Ableton and needs to perform the following:
NoteIn Received - Move Mouse to Absolute Point on Screen - Click Mouse Button

How do you chain events like that in logic?

The second translator is more difficult.
I'm wanting to to create a button split for the A/B button in Ableton.
The button works as follows:
Initial state - both buttons off
Button hit - A activated
Button hit - B activated
Button hit - both buttons on
Button hit both buttons off

What I want to do is have 2 seperate physical A and B buttons (also with associated LEDs) - this requires a feedback loop between Ableton/Bomes and MidiBox which I'm not sure will be possible even with 2 instances of Bome's running as I won't be able to close the loop. If not I'll work it from the supposition that the starting state of the box and Ableton are always the same.

To perform the above I will have several If statements, each of the construct:
If x happens make y happen n number of times

How do I do this?

Thanks

mocker

2009-01-10 23:27:05

Check out this thread : http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2350

You may find elements of an answer. Definitely to be able to use the same button for A & B.

nunrgguy

2009-01-10 23:58:01

Thanks - that doesn't seem to be I'm afraid.

In the case of the Cue/Solo I need one event from a MIDI controller to produce two output events in succession - move mouse followed by click button.

In the other case, one button only is the default setup for A/B anyway. What I want is TWO buttons for A/B (plus LED indication of state). I have the algorithm to do that which requires a full feedback loop between the three elements in the system to do properly. I don't think that is currently possible but what is possible is to always run from a known start state. In either case what needs to happen is, depending on current state in Ableton, when an input is received from the controller, a number of consecutive outputs are sent to Ableton.
i.e.

Midi note received

If state = whatever1 then
For b = 1 to 2
Output note to Ableton
Next

If state = whatever2 then
For b = 1 to 3
Output note to Ableton
Next

If state = whatever3 then
For b = 1 to 4
Output note to Ableton
Next

nunrgguy

2009-01-11 23:37:20

OK :D
I've got the move mouse and click thing sorted - three translators. The first one is a 1 hit timer which is triggered on a midi event. The second moves the mouse on the same midi event and the third clicks the button trigered by the timer.

The For...Next construct I think can be done with a couple of variables, If Thens and Gotos - very very messy programming but I've been thinking back to my old machine code programming days and a light bulb went on.

florian

2009-01-13 12:27:04

hi, good to hear that! Yes, "rules" are a little assembler-like. Advantage is that they execute very fast. We plan on integrating a real scripting language in a later version, but performance may not be as good.

Thanks,
Florian

nunrgguy

2009-01-15 16:19:15

Thanks Florian.

Do you have any notion at this point on any timescales for the next version of MT? The reason I ask is because I've seen multi ins and outs mentioned - I'm going to need three instances of the current program running at present to be able to implement the translations I need - one to translate MIDI controller output to Ableton, one to translate Ableton feedback to MIDI controller and the other for input from the MIDI controller and then 'fake' calculated feedback fropm MT back to the controller (the reason this is neccessary is because Ableton outputs NO MIDI data for LED feedback when an A button goes from the ON to OFF state so states have to be tracked outside of Ableton in variables).

Cheers

ruediger

2009-01-16 17:37:35

Hi,

if you have purchased MT Pro, I can send you a download link for the Windows Beta Version that supports Multiple Midi-in/Midi-Out.

Let me hear, if you want to try it.

Best regards,
Rüdi

nunrgguy

2009-01-18 21:28:35

Cheers - I'm using the demo at the moment but if the multi is that close I@ll definitely be buying - I'll contact you after I've purchased if possible to try out the beta.

ruediger

2009-01-19 15:27:30

Hi,

thanks for thinking about purchasing a license :wink:

One thing:

The beta with Multiple Midi Ports is only available for the WINDOWS version at the moment. The OS X version follows in the next weeks.

Best regards,
Rüdi

nunrgguy

2009-01-23 11:41:17

Yes, that's fine - I'm running on Windoze

nunrgguy

2009-01-23 12:03:01

Another question I've got:

Will the multi in/out version be able to pull in transalators and presets I currently have in the separate files?

nunrgguy

2009-01-23 14:37:31

...And yet another question
With the facility for multi ins and outs will the number of global variables be increased? I don't think I'm going to have enough to be able to achieve what I need now, once presets are combined I'll need even more.
Something I'm not absolutely certain of yet - are global variables global within the entire program or just within a preset?

ruediger

2009-01-23 15:33:22

Hi,

yes, you can load your old Preset files into the BETA version.

To the global variables:

g0-g9, ga-gz
h0-h9, ha-hz
i..
j..
k..
l..
m..
n...

= 288 variables. Is this enough?

In one of the next versions, you can give the variables your onw names.

Best regards,
Rüdi

nunrgguy

2009-01-24 00:47:44

Yes that's enough - I didn't realise they went past h.
So far I think I'll need in the region of 100 so that's plenty :)

nunrgguy

2009-01-28 10:55:13

Re loading in of presets.
Now I've seen the beta (very very good BTW :):):) )
I see that it loads in old presets fine but what it doesn't allow at the moment is the loading in of presets from different files at the same time, i.e. a merge. People currently running several instances of Bomes at the same time are going to need this to be able to pull their presets together into one project file. I know the feature request for import/export to .csv has been approved - will this be part of this version? If not it's going to cause lots of user headaches I think because much will have to be programmed from scratch again.

ruediger

2009-01-28 11:16:01

Hi,

thanks for that hint. I have put it on our TODO list. For the moment you can try to edit the bmtp files with a text editor.

There you can see the preset sections:

[Preset.0]
Name=XXX

Copy that and paste it in your new bmtp file. Don´t forget to increment the number Preset.0, Preset.1 and so on...

Regards,
Rüdi

nunrgguy

2009-01-29 13:16:10

Awesome.
Thanks for the heads up re the text editing.