Midi CC to mouse area in Ableton Live

smokey

2008-12-23 21:18:39

MT Community,

I bought MT Pro last night. It is great to have all the Pro features now.

After reading the manual and spending about two hours going through the forums, I am posting this thread to ask for some help.

I have plenty of midi controllers in my setup (Akai MPK49, padKontrol, and BCR2000). I know how to set these up as Incoming messages.

Ok, so here is what I want to do in Live: have outgoing mouse messages control the individual cells in Live's clip envelopes.

To start, I am going to stick to a 1/16 resolution to keep things simple. Pads 1-16 on the padKontrol will be setup with an Outgoing Mouse Abs Position in order to snap to cells 1-16 in the envelope, and activate Live's draw tool. Simple enough.

Here is where I need help: I would like to setup the padKontrol's X/Y pad to act as the mouse movement to define the cell.

So, AFAIK, I need a translator that will output a Mouse Left Click Down when first touching the pad, move the envelope up or down, and then Mouse Left Click Up at the desired spot.

So far, my experiments with X/Y pad translators have had limited success. The mouse movement is not very smooth. I definitely need a translator that will work on the Y axis (up and down) on the pad and that will be constrained to the cell area in the clip envelope. Is it possible in MT Pro to define the area for the mouse movement?

BTW, after searching the web for a solution to identify the X/Y coordinates of the mouse cursor, I remembered that that AutoHotkey has a built-in feature just for this! If you have a script running, there should be a AutoHotkey icon in the notification area (Windows). Right click on the icon and choose 'Window Spy'. This program will run and stay on top of other applications. It provides instant feedback of, among other things, the mouse coordinates. A useful little tool for MT.

Thanks in advance for any help,
smokey

ruediger

2009-01-02 17:57:13

Hi smokey,

first of all. Thanks for purchasing Midi Translator.

I think I know what you are trying to do. You want to move mouse and click on a specific position in Ableton live with your padKontrol, right?

I don´t think Midi Translator can help you here. We have no code to identify mouse position and I don´t know if we ever will integrate something like this. The only think I see that you could measure the absolute position of the window elements you want to click and use the Mouse absolute position.

Another idea is that you move the mouse to position 0/0 at startup and you save the relative movements in global variables. Then you have the position until you move the mouse again.

I don´t know Ableton Live well, but is not possible to configure MIDI in Ableton Live. Can you not use this or keystrokes for that?

Best regards,
Rüdi