yamaha dtx explorer to reason redrum

Raicome

2008-12-12 11:55:49

I want to get my midi output from my dtx explorer kit to be assigned into redrum in reason can i use mt to do that, and or how will i do that.

Midi output from yamaha dtx explorer

bass drum a0
snare g0
tom high c2
tom medium b1
tom bass g1
hh open a#1
hh closed f#1
crash c#2
ride d#2

redrum is assigned normal from c1 to a1.

florian

2009-01-04 23:31:20

Hi, sorry for the late reply. It's fairly easy to do that with MIDI Translator. Just create a translator entry that maps incoming MIDI to outgoing MIDI according to the map that you listed. Open DTX in MT, and use a virtual MIDI port to connect MT to Redrum.
The user manual should give you more insight how to do all that...

Thanks,
Florian

fretfury

2009-03-02 22:35:10

Hi there, I am new to the whole world of MIDI, but my problem seems one that you might be able to help with. I have a DTXplorer and am trying to use it to trigger redrum. as you'll know, redrum uses notes C1 - A1, but only 3 of these values are represented with the DYXplorer Notes (the hi hat foot controller, hi hat pad closed and the low tom) if you know how to use MT to set your DTXplorer up to trigger redrum could you please let me know, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
John

florian

2009-03-04 17:55:25

Hi Fretfury,

sorry, I don't know your device enough to be able to help you here. Maybe someone else here has one and can help you. Or try on a DTXplorer related forum you have have better luck?

Regards,
Florian

fretfury

2009-03-04 21:15:33

All good I sorted it last night. It was just a matter of converting the hexadecimal value out so i could re route the midi note numbers. cheers

Beermilkshake

2009-04-21 19:03:39

Hi, I'm basically trying to do the same thing, but with an Alesis Performance Pad (which is like the Alesis Controlpad only with built in sounds).

I'm new to midi mapping.

I have completed the first steps. I'm sending a midi signal to Bome and have sent that signal thru to Reason Redrum. As far as I can tell it all works fine. Now the mapping part..Now what?

Hitting the bass drum (1st pad from the bottom left) give's me this incoming message in MT: "90 24 60".
So now I want to assign it to the Bass Kick in Reason (actually it is ALREADY accessing the bass kick in Reason, but some of the other pads don't produce any sound in Reason, I'm just using this pad as an example).

What do I do in Reason?
How do I find out information on the bass kick soun (and others) so that I can assign it to a translator action ?

Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks for your time. I'll keep trying stuff in the mean while.

Steven

Beermilkshake

2009-04-21 19:31:37

fretfury wrote:All good I sorted it last night. It was just a matter of converting the hexadecimal value out so i could re route the midi note numbers. cheers
Hey, I'm doing this with the Alesis Performance Pad.
You did what now ?
I'm getting those hexadecimal values on Bome, but what do I do in Reason?

Thanks man.
Steven

fretfury

2009-04-21 23:56:23

the middle 2 numbers in that message are the hexidecimal values for the midi number, in this case the number being for your drum pad if you capture the message from it. In redrum i use channel one for my kick and i think the hexidecimal value for that is 24. So on the incomming translator capture the midi message as is, and on the outgoing change the middle value to 24. Let me know how it goes, i'm pretty connfident that i'm right but i'm still sorting out a few bugs with my setup.

fretfury

2009-04-22 00:03:07

just read your message again and the kick already works. what you need to do is capture the midi seperatly for each pad on the incoming message (1 translator for each) and on the out going change the middle number to the number representing each redrum chanell i think the channels go 24 25 26 27 28 29 2a 2b 2c 2d. please let me know how it goes cheers

Beermilkshake

2009-04-22 00:35:26

Hi, thanks.

I'm trying that now. I'm sifting through the middle parts kind of randomly, I have the feeling it would go faster with that "hexadecimal translator/converter" I'm hearing about, but I can not for the life of me find this tool and it's diving me nuts ! Is there a link somewhere u can provide me with please ?

I've simply captured the kick drum as is and went down to "Outgoing", selected 'midi message' and changed the hexadecimal value to "90 19 00" which is note C#2, which is actually the snare drum in reason (or channel 2?), which I'm just doing as a test to see if I can change notes. But it's not changing anything.

Maybe I should add that by default, a few of the pads on the Alesis Performance pad do actually trigger the correct channels in Reason (the kick and snare are assigned correctly), a few of the other pads are simply dead.

I'm also wondering if I'm routing everything correctly..but I think I am. Got the Alesis Pad as MIDI IN on Bome, the Bome Virtual Out as MIDI OUT in Bome, then in Reason in ADVANCED CONTROL I have BUS A to D ticked on Bome Virtual OUT (is this necessary?) and also the Midi Clock Sync selected on Bome Virtual Out (necessary?) for Midi Input (in Reason) I've also selected "Bome Midi Translator 1".

Quite a mouthful..sorry. Thanks again.

Steven

fretfury

2009-04-22 06:27:35

Deci 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45
Hexi 24 25 26 27 28 29 2a 2b 2c 2d
Reason Channel 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

19 in hexi doesnt relate to any of the redrum channels, they go as above, so if you want the hi hat on channel 3 for instance, capture it on the in coming and in the outgonig message change the middle two digits to 26. also 00 as the last two digits mean the velocity is zero so that maybee why your not hearing anything. (thats just a quess i'm still new to this) the set up makes sense although you can only use one bus at a time so you can have all as bome if you want but only the bus in use needs to be. You can select your bus at the top of your rack. also find out what channel your pads send on ( it will be between 1-16) and in the MIDI hardware device at the top (which is where you would of set the bus to recive on) send this to redrum. there will be 16 channels so look for the one that lights up. Don't know bout the midi clock to be honest. http://www.squarebox.co.uk/hcalc.html is a hexadecimal calculator

fretfury

2009-04-22 06:37:28

im guessing you got the number 19 because you tried to convert 25 in hexa to deci. however 25 hexa = 37 deci and 25 in deci = 19 in hexa. i'm just guessing, please let me know how you get on because i'm still trying to sort my set up out cheers

Beermilkshake

2009-04-22 19:15:40

Hey.

Man, no luck so far.

What box should I tick in the "Keyboards and Control Surfaces" in the Preferences section of Reason? Should it be Bome's MT or the Alesis Pad or both ? I'm assuming it should be Bome's MT because it's supposed to be receiving Midi messages from BOME's right ?
Also, is it a problem that I only have MIDI OUT and not a MIDI IN/THRU ?

I went to the top and set channel 1 in the ADVANCED MIDI DEVICE to Redrum (the light was indeed blinking).

All the midi messages are being received in BOME as well as Reason, it just feels like BOME isn't DOING ANYTHING with the sound (not changing it on the outgoing part!).

Btw, I left the RULES section in BOME blank.

Other things I might mention: I'm running all this on a Mac and I'm using Reason 4.0

How I got the '19' value
In Bomes MIDI, when you use the MIDI IN capture for eg. and hit the 1st pad (bass) I get this: "90 24 54". But above it I see:
"- Note ON #2 C2, vel 84"
So I copy the incoming hexi-value, paste it outgoing, and then change the middle part to 19. Why? because above this it then states:
- Note ON #2 C#1, vel 84

I thought C#1 in Reasonland is = the Channel 2/ snare drum

My Reason values:

Channel 1 = C2
Channel 2 = C#1
Channel 3 = D 1
Channel 4 = D#1
Channel 5 = E 1
Channel 6 = F 1
Channel 7 = F#1
Channel 8 = G 1
Channel 9 = G#1
Channel 10 = A 1

Nope ?

Thanks again. Once I get this down I'd be happy to point out all handy discoveries I make to aid you with Reason.

Steven

Beermilkshake

2009-04-22 21:52:55

PS. Is there anything I should do in the Rear side of Reason with cables and such ?

Beermilkshake

2009-04-22 23:59:13

PPS: In Bome I'm not seeing a signal for MIDI OUT, only MIDI IN and MIDI THRU. Midi Thru IS activated in my option menu by the way.

fretfury

2009-04-23 07:45:14

sounds like u got the same problem as me. i am positive my conversions are right because my tom 3 on the kit corresponds with channel 8 (2B) naturaly. and when i 1st started i could move this around all the channels using MT so that confirmed my conversions. when i started trying to redirect the other pads however i got the same problem of not working. Every now and then tho i did get the desired result and when that happened the incoming translating and outgoing lights all lit up on the translator, again confirming my conversions. when it's not working only the midi in on the translator lights up, so i think the translator is not doing the job that it's suposed two. i actually have another thread for this topic and am at the moment getting my info together and writting up some charts to show Florian how i'm working it out just to rule out any error on my behalf. so keep trying and posting and once i get my info sorted and posted i'll keep postin on this thread. PS reason says thet redrum starts on C1 (midi note 36 deci)=Channel 1, but note 36 actually = c2 so the notes go c2 c#2 d2 d#2 e2 f2 f#2 g2 g#2 a2 or midi note numbers 36-45 deci.

Beermilkshake

2009-05-01 14:20:38

Hey Fretfury. I actually got it to work somehow.

I'm still not sure how actually. Do you see translating being done in the Log? Because I realised that my log wasn't showing anything, so i focused on that instead of Reason. In one of my many attempts at tweaking/changing things, I opened up "Audio Midi setup" in OSX and started clicking on ports and channels..(not sure what..) while keeping an eye on the Bome log. The log finally kicked in at one point. I changed the middle variables and Redrum started working.

Now I've got sound coming out of all the Redrum channels . But only 1 velocity. I'm not sure how to change this (it really kills the human-likeness) but I'm working on it.

Sorry for the vague info. If you have questions I will check things out and try to help you.

fretfury

2009-05-03 03:22:08

Cool man that sounds sweet. I'm away from my gear till the end of next week so when I get back I'll see what I can come with and let you know.

Cheers

thetoman

2010-05-12 22:31:14

hey Fretfury!! im going crazy trying to figure out how to control the redrum with my dtxplorer. Ive downloaded the MT. Can you post a VERY detailed tutorial? Maybe a Video? Please!!!

holmesks

2010-10-31 02:37:37

Beermilkshake wrote:Hey.

Man, no luck so far.

What box should I tick in the "Keyboards and Control Surfaces" in the Preferences section of Reason? Should it be Bome's MT or the Alesis Pad or both ? I'm assuming it should be Bome's MT because it's supposed to be receiving Midi messages from BOME's right ?
Also, is it a problem that I only have MIDI OUT and not a MIDI IN/THRU ?

I went to the top and set channel 1 in the ADVANCED MIDI DEVICE to Redrum (the light was indeed blinking).

All the midi messages are being received in BOME as well as Reason, it just feels like BOME isn't DOING ANYTHING with the sound (not changing it on the outgoing part!).

Btw, I left the RULES section in BOME blank.

Other things I might mention: I'm running all this on a Mac and I'm using Reason 4.0

How I got the '19' value
In Bomes MIDI, when you use the MIDI IN capture for eg. and hit the 1st pad (bass) I get this: "90 24 54". But above it I see:
"- Note ON #2 C2, vel 84"
So I copy the incoming hexi-value, paste it outgoing, and then change the middle part to 19. Why? because above this it then states:
- Note ON #2 C#1, vel 84

I thought C#1 in Reasonland is = the Channel 2/ snare drum

My Reason values:

Channel 1 = C2
Channel 2 = C#1
Channel 3 = D 1
Channel 4 = D#1
Channel 5 = E 1
Channel 6 = F 1
Channel 7 = F#1
Channel 8 = G 1
Channel 9 = G#1
Channel 10 = A 1

Nope ?

Thanks again. Once I get this down I'd be happy to point out all handy discoveries I make to aid you with Reason.

Steven
Isn't the Kick Drum on C1 not C2. Also its not Channel because that refers to Midi Channel but Midi Note or Message I guess.

I.e. the Kong Kit gives

C1 = Kick
C#1 = Snare
D1 = HH Closed
D#1 = HH Open
E1 = Kick 2
F1 = Snare 2
F#1 = Clap
G1 = Hi Hat Tight
G#1 = Tom High
A1= Tom Medium
A#1 = Tom Low
B = Crash
C2 = Casaba
C#2 = Tambourine
D2 = Synth Tom
D#2 = Ride

holmesks

2010-10-31 02:42:25

And another thing. The translator says for example kick goes to C2

Translator 8 :kick
Options: swallow
Incoming: MIDI 99 21 pp
Outgoing: MIDI 99 24 pp

Yet in the Midi Monitor it shows A0 translating to C1

It shows it as C1 which is correct for the Kong Drum kit. In other words all the translations are saying they are an octave higher than they are actually transmitting i.e. says sending C2 but actually sending C1.

Help!