Midi Trans with DTXplorer and Guitar Hero world tour kit

TuPhat

2008-12-08 23:39:27

For those who enjoy video games, the Guitar Hero World Tour drum kit has a midi port on the back of the set. My goal is to interface a Yamaha DTXplorer drum kit into the gaming drum kit. This has been done successfully with Roland kits however the DTXplorer kit has incorrect midi mappings to what the World Tour kits expects. The DTXplorer kit has a very basic brain and cannot remap midi notes. Following along so far?

I would like to use the Midi Translater Classic program to intercept midi notes from the DTXplorer and remap them to the correct codes that the World Tour kit expects.

A DTXplorer drum kit would midi out into a Roland UM-2EX Midi Interface which is connected to a PC. The Bome Midi Translator would translate the code from the Yam e-kit and send out the correct midi number through the UM-2EX USB adapter into the World Tour gaming kit. This is of course in theory, thats why I am asking the experts here if that is what the Bome Midi Translator is capable of doing. Also, being that this is configuration is designed to be gaming, being very fast at translating is going to be crucial, were are talking miliseconds here.

I hope that I have explained myself clearly enough for everyone to understand what I am trying to accomplish. I appreciate any input befor I attempt this project.

Thanks

florian

2009-01-04 19:45:16

Hi Tuphat,

seems no one has any expertise with your setup. In any case, MT classic will be capable of doing your mapping, and it will be fast enough, too. MIDI is always "talking milliseconds" 8)

Once you know which MIDI messages need to be converted into which other MIDI messages, it's fairly straight forward to set up the "translators" in MT.

Let me know...
Florian

fretfury

2009-03-29 10:59:47

hi there. yea you can change the midi note numbers using the MT. i've done it with reason.

however i'm having trouble with the midi number being translated and sent back out. i know i am doing the correct conversions because every now and then the desired sound will be triggered. when the sound is made the midi in, translating and midi out lights are working, and when it's not working only the 'midi in' light will flash.

i don't think it is a hardware issue either because when i go directly from the dtx brain to reason, tom 3 can be trigger as it's value falls within the values that reason sets. so when it is set with out the translator it works as expected with no hassels. any help would be awsome

florian

2009-03-31 22:18:04

Please see this thread (cross posting to PM)
http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2448

Regards,
Florian

tissemikkel

2009-09-03 08:52:49

Hey, i Just figured out how to do it, and it works!!!! :D

You just need to translate your drums to this:

Orange: 99 31 60

Blue: 99 30 60

Green: 99 2D 60

Red: 99 26 60

Pedal:99 24 60

Yellow: 99 2E 60

If you get problems with it, tell me. :D

I you want, i can send you my save file for it. :)

florian

2009-09-09 08:05:59

Hi, thanks for posting the exact MIDI messages! That'll help other people who need to set it up.

Florian

tissemikkel

2009-09-14 07:27:09

No problems! :D

bartua

2009-09-23 21:37:24

I have no idea about how to use the program. Can someone explain this briefly?

florian

2009-10-05 22:31:10

Hi Bartua,

sorry for the late reply. Do you mean MT? First of all, what do you want to achieve?

Please explain in detail what you want to do and what you have tried so far.

Thanks,
Florian

myoos

2009-12-04 03:30:31

Hi there, working on midi and MT Classic since 2 days, and i am blocking on something that must be so obvious that i can't see it...
I've got à DTXplorer since a couple days, and i wanted to try it with GH on xbox360, so I've translated my drums as :

Translator 1: R
Options: stop=false
Incoming: MIDI 99 1F pp
Outgoing: MIDI 99 26 60

Translator 2: R
Incoming: MIDI 99 2B pp
Outgoing: MIDI 99 26 60

Translator 3: V
Incoming: MIDI 99 2F pp
Outgoing: MIDI 99 2D 60

Translator 4: B
Incoming: MIDI 99 30 pp
Outgoing: MIDI 99 30 60

Translator 5: O
Incoming: MIDI 99 33 pp
Outgoing: MIDI 99 31 60

Translator 6: J
Incoming: MIDI 99 2E pp
Outgoing: MIDI 99 2E 60

Translator 7: J
Incoming: MIDI 99 31 pp
Outgoing: MIDI 99 2E 60

Translator 8: K
Incoming: MIDI 99 1F pp
Outgoing: MIDI 99 24 60

but I still have a problem of double hit for every drum...
I thought about the velocity (pp) that i'm not able to fix, any help would be appreciated.

By advance, merci :)

myoos

2009-12-07 00:57:30

Problem resolved, that all came from me...
Had to create a kit on my drumkit and to configure my pads.
Sorry so, and thanks :)

Bandit

2009-12-29 12:42:03

Hey everybody! new guy here

Would like to thank myoos for the translation chart, works great. although im facing the same problem with double hits.

Since im also new to the DTXplorer i am totally lost navigating this thing, could someone with the knowledge give me simple guidelines how to create a "profile" for the DTX that does not produce double hits? that would complement this tread perhaps also, making it a complete guide to make it work or something :)

myoos

2009-12-29 15:22:41

Hi there,
Absolutely no problem, you just need to select any kit you want (accoustic, classic or somewhat), then select with the right arrow the line (Kit) 11, and have to select keyon/off on HOLD, do it with every part of the drumkit, then push Save Ent and save to setlist (by default this should be the 33)...
Have fun :)

ps: for the guide why not, i may complete the thread with some pics and better explanations in the future days :)

ravenous

2011-08-11 15:46:04

Hello,
Instead of DTXplorer, I'm using DTXpressIII. MT looks easy to use and it recognizes perfectly MIDI messages from my drum.
In my case, I don't have any Guitar Hero drum, I only have Guitar Hero PC Game and I'm trying to use my own drum.
In this way, MT is configured to change every hit of my drum to a particular letter of the keyboard.
This looks easier to do and it works under notepad but, when the game is started (fullscreen), MT doesn't work anymore.
This is not restrictive to GH, for example I tried this on battlefield too and drums commands are no more taken into account as keyboard letters.

Do you Know how to fix it ?
Thanks.

Sorry I've just found the appropriate topic:
http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2579

Terabapuno1

2016-04-18 12:55:08

i am totally lost navigating this thing, could someone with the knowledge give me simple guidelines how to create a "profile" for the DTX that does not produce double hits?????

florian

2016-05-31 11:14:55

Hi Terabapuno1,
sorry for not replying. Have you solved your issue? Otherwise, can you describe better what you want to do?
Thanks,
Florian